6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dieselsite coolant filter warning/fix (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 AM
BobbyB
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the Dieselsite kit also. I didn't like the design of the tee, so I had a welding shop run a small TIG bead around the connection of the 3/8" barb to the body of the tee.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 AM
woodlander
Senior User
Originally Posted by High Binder
Hey guys, I recently had a problem with my Dieselsite coolant filter. I had a little problem that caused me to loose a lot of coolant and make a huge mess of things. The heater hose T-fitting is obviously spun on a lathe as well as the barb but the problem is that the 3/8 barb fitting is simply press-fit into the main tube. Which when under pressure caused the barbed portion to pop out and dump super-heated coolant all over everything. I fixed it by simply drilling (8.5mm) and taping (1/8NPT 3/8) hose barb in it's place and it's now it's good to go, for good. Anyway, I figured you guys would like to know of a potential source of a sudden coolant drain. Here's the pics.

Hmmm didn't expect to use my new 1/8NPT tap so soon again after my EGT probe install. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
at least you will get 2 uses out of yours unlike most of us lol

Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Zmann
I used a cheap black molded one for my DIY kit
There were a number of 03/04 Cobra guys who had problems with plastic fittings for a cylinder head coolant line fix on the back of the block. I'd watch that fitting...

Old 11-30-2010, 09:45 AM
OHSIX6OH
5th Wheeling
My kit has been on since April and came with a different looking T ? So far it has been flawless ,But I will keep an eye on it for leaks.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Chris
not a chance of an issue for this particular fitting it is rated for higher temps / psi than this application

I wouldn't go setting it on a header but then the hose would melt also
this is installed next to the HVAC max ac heater bypass control and it is made of the same material

plus it's been in for 10k

Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 AM
DIESELSITE
Former Vendor
When you make your buisiness model around making the best parts you can, it's easy to be honest and give a record of events.

First off, we don't use the plastic pieces because they are HIGHLY prone to failure. Ask any auto parts house selling them. They sell them by the hundreds to replace, what? The OEM plastic piece that broke. They get brittle under the heat they are exposed to. The aluminum units are not affected by heat. However, they are affected by too much "manhandling" when guys get over generous with the torque applied to the clamps and twist the unit apart.

When we created this part in 2004, We had about 6 failed in the first 200 pieces. We readjusted our press fit and since then have had 2 phone calls since 2005. Considering we make them in batches of 600 and have made 4batches in 2010 alone (2400 units), and I know of none that called in any this year, I don't consider that too much of a problem.

If you have a problem with a part of ours, we'll fix it. If we see a problem that can be avoided next time, we address it. That's why we have the reputation we do. A simple phone call would have taken care of this issue. While the OP may have had an issue and we would have been happy to address his issue, I can't address the guy who doesn't trust our part and "fixes" it before he even tries it.

Guys, seriously, when you see it from this end and know the sheer number of units that leave here and the lack of calls concerning any issue, you chuckle that someone starts a post with "Warning"

Bob

Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 AM
moebdick
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the heads-up High Binder. I think I'm going to upgrade my T fitting preemptively.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:23 AM
danocross
Senior User
Bob from Dieselsite, glad you came on here with your perspective. I have your filter on my truck, no problems at all.

If you can accept this, I would point out my only complaints: I had a heckuva time with 2 things (disclosure: I am not a great mechanic, not even good):

1. In your otherwise very good instructions, consider a pointer or two about how to get the washer and nut through the front cover of the engine. I lost a washer and just wasted a lot of time on that before I (duh) figured it out. Done correctly, it is easy, done **** backward like me, tough.

2. For this T connection, there apparently are several ways to avoid losing a lot of coolant and flooding the passenger's side of the engine with coolant when the hose is cut. Please consider some further directions about that in your instructions.

I have a great amount of respect for any businessman in your position, and I am again glad you came on here to educate us on your fine product.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Striderwv
More Turbo
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by DIESELSITE
When you make your buisiness model around making the best parts you can, it's easy to be honest and give a record of events.

First off, we don't use the plastic pieces because they are HIGHLY prone to failure. Ask any auto parts house selling them. They sell them by the hundreds to replace, what? The OEM plastic piece that broke. They get brittle under the heat they are exposed to. The aluminum units are not affected by heat. However, they are affected by too much "manhandling" when guys get over generous with the torque applied to the clamps and twist the unit apart.

When we created this part in 2004, We had about 6 failed in the first 200 pieces. We readjusted our press fit and since then have had 2 phone calls since 2005. Considering we make them in batches of 600 and have made 4batches in 2010 alone (2400 units), and I know of none that called in any this year, I don't consider that too much of a problem.

If you have a problem with a part of ours, we'll fix it. If we see a problem that can be avoided next time, we address it. That's why we have the reputation we do. A simple phone call would have taken care of this issue. While the OP may have had an issue and we would have been happy to address his issue, I can't address the guy who doesn't trust our part and "fixes" it before he even tries it.

Guys, seriously, when you see it from this end and know the sheer number of units that leave here and the lack of calls concerning any issue, you chuckle that someone starts a post with "Warning"

Bob

Thanks Bob

Old 11-30-2010, 11:34 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob

Honestly, the problem is too minor to even have you waste time on sending out a new one. So educating people about the possibility of an on-the-road major coolant puke and a quick and nearly free fix as a preemptive or restorative function is a service to the community of 6.0 owners not a bash on your product. I love the filter setup and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:47 AM
DIESELSITE
Former Vendor
Sorry I just haven't had the time to be out here often enough to post, but Thanks for the compliments!

Since we started using our new billet machined housing this year, we need to re-do all our coolant filter instructions and would like that to be done by the first of the year. So, please offer up any advise for things that need to be added, or as you called it, "done correctly" tips or tricks you used to make it easier for someone else.

I will consider all notes or additions (even pics) anyone has. Thanks for all the help and feedback. It really matters what everyone thinks out here.

Honestly, the problem is too minor to even have you waste time on sending out a new one. So educating people about the possibility of an on-the-road major coolant puke and a quick and nearly free fix as a preemptive or restorative function is a service to the community of 6.0 owners not a bash on your product. I love the filter setup and would buy it again in a heartbeat.
I beg your pardon if my post came off as rude to you. Glad your happy with the product. Thanks for the kind words.

Anyone wanting to send me tips, send them directly to bob@dieselsite.com

Thanks,

Bob

Old 11-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Nitrous
Elder User
Even though there has reportedly been very few failures on this part, it still has the potential of failing. Why not just use a good brass fitting and be done with it? When I received my kit from Dieselsite my first impression was that is was a well built, well thought out kit, except for that tee. My honest first impression was " if anything fails in this kit it will be the tee." I will be changing mine as soon as I can find a brass tee.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:30 PM
DIESELSITE
Former Vendor
Because no such tee exists. Brass tees can only be bought in same size branches. If I could buy an off the shelf (and I do obviously from the other tee as you can see), I would. I mean, why else would I spend 3 times as much to make something I could buy?

Now, you could build a tee using brass fittings, but that option is huge and weighs a ton. It's about as ugly as crap too.

Like I said before already. I could spend 1.50 and use the plastic tees (that's my cost in bulk), but was quickly warned from using them from the supplier for failure reasons. I don't pick a part or make a part that might be easier. When you send out 50-100 a week of anything, you simply don't want even a 1% failure rate. So, with that in mind, if I was having the nightmare that some must think I'm having, wouldn't I just use a plastic fitting or brass (doesn't exist anyway) if that would solve it?

Bob

Old 11-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Nitrous
Elder User
Because no such tee exists. Brass tees can only be bought in same size branches. If I could buy an off the shelf (and I do obviously from the other tee as you can see), I would. I mean, why else would I spend 3 times as much to make something I could buy?

Now, you could build a tee using brass fittings, but that option is huge and weighs a ton. It's about as ugly as crap too.

Bob
That's what I thought. I've been looking and haven't been able to find one.

Quick Reply: Dieselsite coolant filter warning/fix (with pics)