Help with Diagnosis of Cruise Control Issue Requested - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Help with Diagnosis of Cruise Control Issue Requested

Old 05-20-2011, 04:10 PM
wrd0225
Senior User
wrd0225 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lord Dark Star, did you get your cruise control working?

Old 05-20-2011, 06:01 PM
wrd0225
Senior User
wrd0225 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am also having trouble with my cruise control. Did you get yours fixed. How do you test the spd control amplifier?

Old 10-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Lord Dark Star
New User
Lord Dark Star is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking Solution to Cruise Control Issue Found!!

I finally got around to working on the cruise control issue with my '86 F-150. My suspicion was that the issue involved the vacuum dump switch that is actuated when the brake pedal is depressed. In my case, this switch was fully opened when the brake pedal was in its resting position (foot not on the brake). With a little help from a local Ford dealer's parts department, I found that to adjust the switch, one has to depress the brake pedal, then push (not twist) the switch towards the brake pedal as far as possible (somewhat difficult, but not impossible). The brake pedal is then released and should return to its resting position and automatically adjust the 'throw' of the vacuum dump switch. If successful, the vacuum dump switch is fully depressed. When the brake is actuated, the switch opens dumping the vacuum to the cruise control. The cruise control on my truck now works!(yea) I hope this information will prove helpful for others with a similar issue.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:01 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
Thanks for posting what seems to have worked!

Rep points for that.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:17 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder
85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold
Glad that was it. FWIW, I actually own a Rotunda tester for the vacuum cruise control systems.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:46 PM
ClydeSDale
Elder User
ClydeSDale is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This Simple Adjustment Solved My Cruise Problem Also!!

Originally Posted by Lord Dark Star View Post
I finally got around to working on the cruise control issue with my '86 F-150. My suspicion was that the issue involved the vacuum dump switch that is actuated when the brake pedal is depressed. In my case, this switch was fully opened when the brake pedal was in its resting position (foot not on the brake). With a little help from a local Ford dealer's parts department, I found that to adjust the switch, one has to depress the brake pedal, then push (not twist) the switch towards the brake pedal as far as possible (somewhat difficult, but not impossible). The brake pedal is then released and should return to its resting position and automatically adjust the 'throw' of the vacuum dump switch. If successful, the vacuum dump switch is fully depressed. When the brake is actuated, the switch opens dumping the vacuum to the cruise control. The cruise control on my truck now works!(yea) I hope this information will prove helpful for others with a similar issue.
Bumping up this old thread because it works!

My cruise had been working well, then it started being fussy ... sometimes working, sometimes not ... and then it quit entirely. The whole system (module, harness, tilt column and wheel, etc.) is a transplant from a donor truck, much like all the options I wanted on Clyde but it didn't have as OE.

I finally got around to digging into it. I had disappointing results running through the diagnostic tests from the service manual (I have a complete set that I acquired years ago) and was ready to give up but I decided to give FTE a try and hit this thread. Crawled under the dash one more time, made this quick and easy adjustment and the test drive was a success. I'm still smiling and it was three days ago!

THANK YOU Lord Dark Star!
Thank you FTE!
and thanks to all the others who participated in the past, the ancient past and in the present to make this site such a valuable asset to us old truck lovers.

The information is here, you just have to look for it!

Old 09-05-2016, 07:29 PM
reamer
Postmaster
reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.
Did you check with the wheel off, there needs to be THREE brushes in the column, two are next to each other on the right side, and a smaller one closer to the center of the column.
My cruse never worked either, until Gary pointed out I did not have the "ground brush" for the cruise. installed the ground brush and TA, DA.... Cruise works!

Ya Need the one marked in Purple, (I think, it's been a while) without it....no cruise....