Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

has anyone shorten their box?

Old 11-28-2010, 04:28 AM
iwanaflattie
Posting Guru
iwanaflattie has a very good reputation on FTE.iwanaflattie has a very good reputation on FTE.iwanaflattie has a very good reputation on FTE.
has anyone shorten their box?

hello everyone i was wandering if anyone here has shorten their box length wise...i like the proportions on my truck but maybe a few inches would look better?..please post pics if you can

Old 11-28-2010, 09:02 AM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Judging by the pictures I've viewed of your truck it is a short box and shortening it anymore in my opinion wouldn't do it justice, I think it looks good now. If you were to shorten the box you would likely have to shorten the frame also, alot of work to accomplish little, just my thought, take no offense.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:01 AM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
59flatbedford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well i cut the frame on my 59 off about 18 inches. it was origanally a long bed so i cut the back of the frame off. Im doing a flatbed so i don't have to worry about doing sheetmetal work. But my trucks not done yet so its kinda hard to say how its going to turn out.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
You'll have problems shortening it up and getting it to fit properly.

It's one of those things that is mounted so that the fenders are centered over the back wheels.

If you shorten up the front, it's going to look funny with a gap between it and the cab. And there's only and inch or so you could take off the back before the fender hits the stake pocket. So you can't lop a few inches off the front and slide it forward - fender will be in the wrong place over the wheel.

So, the only way to do it is to cut it out on the center of the wheel well - which means having to shorten up the fender as well because of the geometry in the back that I described above. Then you still have a gap between it and the cab.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:23 PM
iwanaflattie
Posting Guru
iwanaflattie has a very good reputation on FTE.iwanaflattie has a very good reputation on FTE.iwanaflattie has a very good reputation on FTE.
yeah id have to cut a section on the box,driveshaft and frame to get things right...but i was planning it because im looking for a new frame,one i can do the right way,and i can put airbags on,,but thanks

Old 11-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Drewski 2
Elder User
Drewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud of
Since I fabricated my own bed, I considered making it shorter. I thought that it might be a subtle change that would have people scratching their head wondering what was different. I decided not to go that route due to having to shorten the frame to make all the proportions look correct. I created enough work for myself with all the changes already made.

I see by your last post that you already know that the frame would also have to be cut. If you go for it, be sure to post pictures.

Drew

Old 11-28-2010, 12:55 PM
iwanaflattie
Posting Guru
wil do brew,but that will be next year sometime nice truck by the way

Old 11-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Brian's 48
Senior User
Brian's 48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bulit my own box 6" shorter and running an 108" wb. Check my gallery.
Brian

Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 PM
jmadsen
Postmaster
jmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to behold
I saw a post ( different site) recently on this very thing, I think. I didn't read much of it just quick look at the pictures. Ill see if I can find it later and post a link. It looked good but does seem like a lot of work, but hey build it the way ya want it! .
Cheers
Josh

Old 12-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Big IV
Senior User
Big IV is starting off with a positive reputation.
So how short were you thinking?

How much of the bed do you want to keep? I had thought about ditching the box bed all together and slapping a set of modified fenders on a tool box, shorten the frame until the wheels nearly touch the cab, and shorten the drive shaft. Ultimately I fell in love with my bed and decided not to ditch it. If I ever jumped into a project truck completely devoid of a bed from the onset then I might call this plan B. At the moment it is way to much work. I decided to stick with easier decisions and get my own project running in more or less a timely manner.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:12 AM
POS-F500
Senior User
POS-F500 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.POS-F500 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
man.. I sure don't understand some of yall.. I want a longer bed because I think it makes it look more balanced and appealing... then ya want to make it look all funny and short...

Old 12-08-2010, 05:47 AM
iwanaflattie
Posting Guru
i guess this is what i had in mind but it would look kind of funny YouTube - 1955 Ford F100 drag truck burnout

Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 AM
jmadsen
Postmaster
jmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to behold
I looked but could not find the post on the shortened box, I think it was on the HAMB?? basically the guy took a couple inches off the front of box and I think maybe on the back too? I can't remember for sure, it was fairly suttle so it didn't immediatly jump out at ya. that 56 is almost cartoonish sounds good though

Old 12-08-2010, 10:11 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
thepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to behold
i`ve also seen it on the Hamb, he also rounded off the back of the box and made a trunk type tailgate, looked really good, to shorten your box its just a matter of removing the welds from your stakes in the front and removing them, remove the front piece, mark and cut where you want to cut the bed, cut it, install stake side and front panel and the way you go! a few years ago i converted a chevy long box to a short box doing this. Dounds simple dosen`t it?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
theodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to behold
Have you considered shortening the front of the bed and extending the cab. I'm long legged so a little extra cab could be good. Just a thought

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: has anyone shorten their box?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.