1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Asking for opinions, carb vs EFI, let me have it!

Old 11-27-2010, 03:46 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
How many have experienced the "horrors of modern technology" with their EFI daily drivers? I have had at least 8 vehicles with EFI without a single fuel system or no start issue with any of them including a couple that had > 200K miles on them without a single tuneup or sparkplug change. I could never say that about any carb/mechanical ingnition vehicle I owned. Give me the dependability and gas mileage of modern technology any day!

Old 11-27-2010, 06:51 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dear Julie that is the way it used to be and you are so right about it as it used to be but now it is not that way at all. The system I was talking about is simple, easy to install and then you forget about it. Hmmm sounds just like a carb except much better drivability. I really don't care much about all the rest but my truck is being built as a driver. That's right I plan on putting many miles on this beast and doing something as simple as bolting on this type of EFI makes it more enjoyable then I will. Remember the purpose is to drive and enjoy.

This system does have a CO2 sensor as part of it. You even have a choice of a welded bung or a bolt on piect without welding.

Black58 I am glad also as these are a lot more fun when you with other people of the same bent.......

Old 11-27-2010, 08:01 AM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One thing I didn't see mentioned is the condition of both motors. I would go with the motor which is not on the verge of a major rebuilt or has a ton of little things which need addressed and if you go with the EFI what condition is all the wiring. Sometime's older wiring doen't like to be trans planted easliy without damage.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:42 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
I'm going with EFI on mine. Granted carburetion would be easier, but what kind of a challenge would that be?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:45 AM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 3golfjack
One thing I didn't see mentioned is the condition of both motors. I would go with the motor which is not on the verge of a major rebuilt or has a ton of little things which need addressed and if you go with the EFI what condition is all the wiring. Sometime's older wiring doen't like to be trans planted easliy without damage.
My intent was to pull the necessary components and retrofit them to my long block. However, it appears that won't work. My neighbor used the Bronco as a plow truck, and had two teenage sons and a number of otheres driving it all of the time. I'm sure mechanically, it's spent. After reading these posts about having to swap in the whole engine, I've changed my mind about wanting to do it.

Personally, I think Ax is right about modern day EFI though I drive an 18 year old Volvo 240 wagon as my daily. Sure, it has a lot of sensors, but with the help of my shop manual and a Volvo forum similar to FTE, I'm able to diagnose nearly any possible electrical problem with nothing more than a Fluke meter and a little patience. I've been able to jump in and fix issues that just five years ago would have really intimidated me. In regards to the EFI swap on my truck, I think that eventually, I would get to know the system as well, if not better, than what I'm using now. I still may go for it in the future, but it's just not something I want to invest all of what little spare time I have into right now. Couple that with the fact that it's 20 something degrees outside and I don't have a heated garage and it's a no-brainer.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:59 AM
epp
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
not that I have allot of opinion on the matter, I am a firm believer in building your truck your own way to suit your tastes, I have a shiney 800 sitting on top of my BB and like it that way. I am sure sooner or latter we will have to go efi or be forced to do only parades or some crap. They will pass laws doing away with carbs someday I am sure.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:59 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
A friend of mine and his dad did the EFI swap/conversion on my 55'. Your frame is remotely close to the 53-56 series here is the gas tank used in mine

The fuel pump, a 90' F150 frame mounted pump

Factory Fuel Inertia switch

The factory harness routing to the ECM, ECU, or some of the guys here in TN say "puter"

THE ENGINE

Im no mechanic. I tell everybody that. In seven years I have had no problems with the EFI. I didnt set mine up true but I think it is worth the hassle or COST in my case. I have about 25K on mine since the install. There is the thought process of what if something goes wrong well on a Saturday evening coming from a cruise in @ 9pm or a Sunday evening carb or efi you likely getting home the same way, a Flatbed wrecker or your buddy's trailer . If you dont elect to same out to the EFI I would definitely get and put it up. You may decide to go that way later on if something happens to your carbed version. If you are ever at one of the Pigeon Forge F100 shows or around Nashville pm me prior and we will go for a ride. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:08 AM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Donald, thanks for the motiviational words. It looks like a factory install from what I can see in the pics. What fuel tank did you use? I believe Bobby here on FTE used a Chevy Blazer tank and sender.

Originally Posted by tacson
I have about 25K on mine since the install.
That right there is what makes me think about going for it. I am concerned though that I won't be able to use the engine that's in the truck right now. I know I don't want to use the whole engine from the Bronco. Honestly, I'm just going to pass on it, but if anyone else wants to add to this thread, maybe we could get a bunch of info together for someone else that wants to do it.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:25 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
I used a tank from a 77-82 Short Wheel base Chevy Van- 21 gallon model

they can be purchased new for about $100 from any junkyard that sells new aftermarket parts. I had bought mine used before I learned that.

Here again Im no mechanic but I read alot. I think you can just swap the intake off your engine with the EFI plenum off the Bronco. Take the wiring and maybe distributor off the Bronco engine. You can put your intake on the Bronco engine and sell it cover some of the cost of a fuel pump and miscellaneous things you might need. But if you pass no harm done. Im just happy another ford truck is on the road. If you have a change of heart anytime soon pm me. THanks Donald

Old 11-27-2010, 11:09 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Definitely swap the ignition system as well. The EFI is only 1/2 the system, the ignition is the other 1/2. That's the problem I see with the aftermarket EFI/carb replacement system (besides the price!) as well as the fact you are not doing anything to balance the cylinders equally. The balance can be quite far off depending on the manifold design. Port injection is far better.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
This was my main concern - how much are you going to have to change and modify in order to support the transplant - installing new technology into old - not the stand alone benefits of either system.

And I have had plenty of problems with modern technology - first and foremost the difficulty, time, and expense of analysis. Do you have the tools and computer to plug the thing into to anaylize any problems if you do have them?

Plus, your going to introduce a whole new series of questions because certain very fundamental parts of your truck that weren't designed to support this system may not function quite right with it. For example - the gas cap.

I have a 2002 Ranger as well as my 51. Any time anything goes wrong with that thing, it has cost me over $500 to get analysed and fixed. But in all fairness that was only once. The other two times it was over $2000 each.

I guess I'm a little bit prejudice because I specifically bought my truck to get away from the complexity and maintenance difficulties associated with my modern truck. I can flip the lid open hook up a vacuum gauge or meter (no computers or programs) and fix it myself in short order and at minimal parts expense. It's spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter and tune up settings - all in 30 minutes.

It's a matter of personal preference I guess.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:58 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
This was my main concern - how much are you going to have to change and modify in order to support the transplant - installing new technology into old - not the stand alone benefits of either system.

And I have had plenty of problems with modern technology - first and foremost the difficulty, time, and expense of analysis. Do you have the tools and computer to plug the thing into to anaylize any problems if you do have them?

Plus, your going to introduce a whole new series of questions because certain very fundamental parts of your truck that weren't designed to support this system may not function quite right with it. For example - the gas cap.

I have a 2002 Ranger as well as my 51. Any time anything goes wrong with that thing, it has cost me over $500 to get analysed and fixed. But in all fairness that was only once. The other two times it was over $2000 each.

I guess I'm a little bit prejudice because I specifically bought my truck to get away from the complexity and maintenance difficulties associated with my modern truck. I can flip the lid open hook up a vacuum gauge or meter (no computers or programs) and fix it myself in short order and at minimal parts expense. It's spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter and tune up settings - all in 30 minutes.

It's a matter of personal preference I guess.
.................................................. .................................................. .......
Everybody for there own thing, but i will have to go with julies on this. It's my personal preference too and i would not try to get somebody to do it my way. I removed the throttle body from a brand x car , mainly because i never wanted to pay somebody to get it going for me as i was unable too. Then i would have to take it to a shop every time something went wrong. Sure ,some of you have the tools and can do it,but all of us don't. I had to pay as much for the parts i needed to do away with it as the wireing harness would have cost me. But i can keep it going with out any out side help. I like to raise the hood on an old vehical and see a hot rod engine. if i want to see fuel injection, i lift the hood on my f-350 dually or olds. I never give an old vehical with fuel injection a second look at a car show ,but i look the carbed ones over very close. Thats just me and a few others, no need to try and convince me other wise. JIM P.S. I'm getting to old to learn it over.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:40 PM
FORD14TPU
Senior User
Old school side of the road repair = point file and a small brass hammer. File the points,smack the carb and your on your way. New school = get out AAA card, have it towed to a shop, Leave blank check, Try smacking the ECU on the curb maby that'll reset it. To each his own.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:54 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 606 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by FORD14TPU
Old school side of the road repair = point file and a small brass hammer. File the points,smack the carb and your on your way. New school = get out AAA card, have it towed to a shop, Leave blank check, Try smacking the ECU on the curb maby that'll reset it. To each his own.
I think it's more correct this way:

Old school = easy to fix yourself cheaply and need to do it all too regularly

New school = once every 100,000 miles it needs something you may not be able to fix and may be $100 or more

Take your choice.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:54 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ALBUQ F1
you hit the nail right on the head, i totally agree.
Different strokes for different folks.......

John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Asking for opinions, carb vs EFI, let me have it!