1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cones and Nuts lug bolt removal F-6 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:21 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Cones and Nuts lug bolt removal F-6 ?

So I started to remove the widow makers on my F6 last night and on the drivers side I have removed all but one nut, (it's kind of rounded off a little bit so I can't get on it real good with my 3/4" breaker bar and socket with short extension, (ya I broke my longer extension on the other side )

anyway after re-reading the post "Stephen 56" posted earlier this year on his lug nut removal process, I think maybe if some heat doesn't help I may have to use a pipe wrench and long bar?? I have a 1" impact but still need to break them loose first.

My question though is on the other side I removed the outer dual but 3 of the cones came off, (not the nuts by themselves) so now how do I remove the nuts from the cones??? so I can remove from the widow maker wheels. Do I need to reinstall the wheel on the truck with the cones and tighten really tight to then try and remove just the nut??

maybe I'll just use the torch and cut the wheel around them and then soak them in some acetone/atf mix for a few weeks??

thanks

Josh

Old 11-24-2010, 02:50 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Josh- Do you have a "pork chop". That'd let you hold that square end of the cone with a socket/pipe wrench while you beat heck out of the nut with the pork chop and BFH. Stu

Old 11-24-2010, 02:56 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Stu,
That "pork chop" Is a mechanics best friend when dealing with these stubborn nuts. I wonder how many people know what we're talking about?

I havent used one in years as everything at the shop is hub pilot these days

Old 11-24-2010, 03:07 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Porkchop is your friend!

I went to NAPA to see if they had one - I couldn't remember the name and after describing what I was looking for the parts guy (who's great with flathead stuff but never worked on a big truck) shook his head and told me he doubted they had what I needed.

On the way out of the store I went thru the aisle where I got my oversized 4-way wrench and there on the rack was a porkchop. It saved my butt on getting those wheels apart.

Porkchop, 4-way for big trucks (includes the 3/4" square drive) and a 6' piece of 2" pipe and I can take any wheel apart!

Old 11-24-2010, 03:07 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
No I don't have one, ( I had to google what your talking about too ) now I remember someone mentioning one of them once on here. I think?

Guess I'll see if I can go find one, I have the budd socket for my impact as well.
I don't necesarily want to use a pipe wrench on these 3 cones as I want to reuse them if I can. but maybe I can use a wrench or ?? on the square end of the cone.

I may have to use a pipe wrench on the last stuck nut on the the other side thats still attached to the drum.

thanks for the tip.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:17 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Old 11-24-2010, 04:24 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Hey, Thanks Tim. Maybe thats where I read it?
I'll check with Napa, although they don't show it online, of course maybe I'm not using the correct terminology??
Cheers

Josh

Edit, Found it. it's made by Ken tools part number 30609 Thanks guys.

http://www.drillspot.com/fleet-and-v...terial%3DSteel

Man oh Man those 4 ways are not cheap!!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 05:06 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Looks like somebody improved on the "mousetrap". I think this one would work even better.

Ken-Tool , 30620 Combination Cap Nut Wrench

I bought my 4-way from NAPA a couple of years ago. I don't remember what it cost, but figured over the long haul it would be worth it. If you can find a way to get it you're welcome to borrow mine.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:16 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
The manufacturers would say that outer nuts and inner cap nuts should be replaced if getting the old ones apart is this difficult. But on an occasional use truck it's probably no big deal. Stu

Old 11-25-2010, 12:08 PM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
josh, had this problem with one of mine. spray with liberal amount of pb, used small hammer and started tapping on nut to help pb get where it belonged, then used cone nut and tightened up cone as much as possible. took 3/4 breaker and 4 ft pipe and twisted nut off. remember those threads are r & l hand. took about an hour. you might not be able to save that cone.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:15 PM
FORD14TPU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liquid Wrench is my choice of rust breaker. spray/tap/heat/repete. Give it time. It took a week of that to gets the lugs loose on a 41 Packard i'd bought. The last one just wouldn't come loose, So i hung a iron cylinder head off the 4 ft snipe on the 2 ft breaker bar, Sprayed it 3 times a day for 3 more days. 4th morning the head was on the ground and the lug was loose. Just wait it out

Old 11-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Brocky
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cone and Nuts lug bolt removal F-6

Do not remember the name "pork chop" but all tire shops have a piece of metal with the hex hole in a it and a 90 degree tab which dropps into the adjacent open hole in the rim. put it around the outside nut then take your 1 inch drive square socket and in tighten direction you will run the cone on thru the outer nut.
Unless you have a big 1 inch tire shop impact gun I would reccommend that you stop by your friendly neighborhood tire man and have him run them out.. A whole lot easier on the back and busted knuckles!!

Brocky

Old 11-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If it's super stuck on there a monkey wrench and a cheater bar will get it off. Heat shrinks steel, the problem is it requires it to be well heated and not just the outside. I had a lug nut stuck to one of the inner lug nuts and I just tossed it in my forge then placed it in a vice and used a wrench to turn it, moved super easy... course not too many people have forges , lol. If you use heat keep it even, the idea is to make the whole thing through and through hot, not just the outside. Doesn't need to get super hot, couple hundred degrees will do it, if it starts to glow keep in mind hot steel is a lot easier to manipulate and if you crank down on it it could warp things.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:47 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by mtflat
Looks like somebody improved on the "mousetrap". I think this one would work even better.

Ken-Tool , 30620 Combination Cap Nut Wrench

I bought my 4-way from NAPA a couple of years ago. I don't remember what it cost, but figured over the long haul it would be worth it. If you can find a way to get it you're welcome to borrow mine.

so I picked this one up Friday, http://www.toolsource.com/combinatio...rceid=googleps

but have not used it yet. I placed in on the nut but the other end of the wrench does not fit through the handolds on my rims. it would probably work but the wrench would have to turn up against the axle housing so I'm not sure this is what I want??
then on the wheels not attached to the drums the wrench would be just up against the inside of the wheel (scratching the paint etc) I think I'll probably return it and get the standard pork chop wrench, it's less $ too so we shall see. I still need to get the 3/4" square nut driver anyway since the one budd socket I have is a combo one and won't work with the wrench on nut.

needs to warm up a bit and stop snowing so I can get busy!

Old 11-28-2010, 10:05 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Has anyone ever put together a "kit" of essential tools to do these wheels, and maybe even other big truck specific tools? Just curious.

Quick Reply: Cones and Nuts lug bolt removal F-6 ?