whats dose it take to get a truck form texas reged in cali - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > S. California Chapter
Reload this Page >

whats dose it take to get a truck form texas reged in cali

Notices
S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Old 11-24-2010, 01:50 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.

i have a chance to buy a idi from texas for 2500 with devilary it form fte member bill11022

Old 11-24-2010, 02:04 PM
thomabb
Posting Guru
thomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to behold
I can't speak to the specifics. I can tell you what I did when I bought an out of state truck. I called a notary near my house AND a notary near the seller and asked what was involved in buying there and registering here. If both notaries' advise matches, go with it. If not, try contacting the motor vehicle dept.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:28 PM
bpounds
2 bit Californian
bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
I don't see how a notary would know anything about it, but maybe I'm the one that doesn't know anything.

I believe your best source of info is the CA DMV. But getting anything out of those bureaucrats is next to impossible.

Your second best source of info will be your local Autoclub office. If you are not a member it will be worth signing up for about $50/year. In my experience the customer service is good and they know what they are doing.

You won't have to worry about smog on a pre '97 diesel, so as long as it is legally equipped for CA and legally licensed in TX I don't think you will have any problem.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:34 PM
thomabb
Posting Guru
thomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to behold
Title transfers, new registrations, etc. are commonly handled via notary here in PA. Is that not true in CA?

Geting information from the DMV is just slightly easier than performing a root canal on yourself.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:14 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.
thx for the replys

Old 11-24-2010, 03:39 PM
bpounds
2 bit Californian
bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by thomabb View Post
Title transfers, new registrations, etc. are commonly handled via notary here in PA. Is that not true in CA?

Geting information from the DMV is just slightly easier than performing a root canal on yourself.
A notary here is just a means of confirming an identity and witnessing a signature. They don't necessarily have any particular knowledge of law or code beyond what is required to do that. A notary might come into play on a DMV transaction, but only to witness a signature. I had a document notarized last Friday. Most UPS and Fedex shops have a notary on staff at all times. Their only job is to check your identification, and confirm that you are the one who signed your name.

Of course, a notary may well be on the staff of a law firm too, and could even be a lawyer. But not all are.