Factory Specs - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Factory Specs

Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
They been just getting me in trouble anyway Wayne.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:59 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by FORD14TPU View Post
For all your "classic" tire needs. Lucas Classic & Vintage Tires, wide white wall, Pirelli Cinturato, Goodyear, Denman, Lester, Universal .. IMO with a stock truck i'd run a OEM bias ply on it. Yes i know the bias plys tend to thump till they warm up and the flatspot goes away. But i'll live with that for the easy steering the old tall and skinnys give. Tried a "close" radial on my 55 buick "no power steering". went back to the 6.70 x 15s the owners manual calls for. You can just about 1 palm on the steering wheel that car now.
I have the P235/75-15's on my truck and it is not difficult at all to park or drive. The radial tires are smooth, quiet, and handle far better. I had to jam on my brakes in traffic with these and there was no drama. With narrow hard bias plies there would be smoke and skidding. I got very good brand name tires for $88 each, too.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:00 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 49m47 View Post
I have the original 16" wheels. I also found on Ebay an original 1949 M47 owners manual. It shows a standard 6.50x16 tire but doesnt specify what tire.
That's interesting. US production has the 6.00x16 as the standard tire, with the 6.50 optional. I looked in the 1951 Mercury factory brochure I have and it too shows the 6.50x16 4 ply as the standard tire, with a 6.50x16 6 ply as the optional. You did need to option up to the 6 ply to achieve the full 4700 GVW.

There are quite a few of us Mercury owners here, but it is a fairly exclusive club.

Question for you; you don't happen to have original Mercury keys, do you? I'd like to know if Merc trucks did actually have unique keys. I would assume so, but I have no idea what they'd look like.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:20 PM
49m47
Senior User
49m47 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The key that came with it is very old but I dont believe its original. Its a Hurd key.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:33 PM
49m47
Senior User
5 Star... I cant believe you sold that truck. In 05' we were in Canada when I saw my first Mercury Truck. I spent the next five years looking for one. I found this one back in February and I wasnt going to let it slip through my fingers.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:56 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 5 Star View Post
49m47

Here is the Truck itself.

Is this the same truck? After and before?

Old 11-25-2010, 08:01 AM
5 Star
Elder User
5 Star is starting off with a positive reputation.
arctic y block

No that is not the same Truck, the one you pictured is either an 3/4 or 1 Ton as it has the long bed.
The one I had is an M-47 1/2 Ton.

Just for the record for those who have been told the the Merc Trucks had a 255 C.I.D. Engine, is wrong they were all 239 C.I.D. with exception to the larger heavy duty haulers they had the 337 C.I.D. Engine.

Ross, when I sold that Truck it was an offer I couldn't refuse, and no it wasn't the Godfather who made me the offer.

The only thing that wasn't correct on my Merc was the wooden floor in the Bed, it was supposed to be a Metal Floor.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:19 AM
5 Star
Elder User
49m47

I noticed you don't have the Stainless Trim on your front fenders. That is one very hard item to locate.
Do you by chance have the original Dash Plastic, its a Gray Marble type in color, and to my knowledge is not reproduced, The ford Plastic is and its a cross between a Yellow & Beige.
So it you do have the Gray Plastic its correct, and all the ***** should be same.
On the Grille, if your by chance looking for one of those, you have a wide variety to choose from, as all the Merc Trucks shared the same Grille right up to the Heavy Duty ones. Yes the larger Trucks were wider, but there was a vertical Stainless Strip on either side of the Grille to make it appear larger, but it is the very same.

Some one mentioned the Keys, they were the same as Ford.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:38 AM
49m47
Senior User
5 Star
Mine has the stainless trim on the front fender you just cant see it in the little picture. It also has the gray plastic dash cover. The radio comes on but the ***** dont work. I assumed the gray plastic cover was a speaker cover. My grille has red painted groves. I was told/read that this was unique for Mercury. Ford did not have that. The bed currently has a piece of plywood. I read somewhere that it would have been a metal bed but still had wood slats. One of the earlier postings said that I could not post pictures yet but I could put them on somewhere and others could see them. Let me work on that.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:38 PM
5 Star
Elder User
49m47

Thats correct the Grille was stripped in Red as was most of the other Trim hub caps, Horn button, the letters on the dash *****, the M-47 on this one don't paint the following M - 47 just around it the Chrome stays bright as does the surrounding edge. Also the front of hood Badge with the Mercury figure head was Red just on the indented portions, anything raised stayed bright.
Thats one option I forgot to mention the Radio.

Looking foward to seeing the link for pics of your Truck.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:55 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Mmmm... Makes me want to get a Mercury truck or Panel.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:58 PM
49m47
Senior User
If I did it correctly you can see a couple of pics on my album My Ole 49 M47.
I only uploaded 3 to see if I was doing it righ

Old 11-25-2010, 01:51 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 49m47 View Post
If I did it correctly you can see a couple of pics on my album My Ole 49 M47.
I only uploaded 3 to see if I was doing it righ
They need to go in yer Gallery. Than I can get the URL from them to post here.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:35 PM
49m47
Senior User
I was doing well just putting them in album. Let me try again. I'm really new at this!!

Old 11-25-2010, 09:13 PM
49m47
Senior User
Ok I think I have a gallery now. This is a lot of work for a low tech guy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Specs

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.