General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

can you be "pardoned" for speeding tickets?

Old 10-23-2002, 06:49 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 10-23-2002, 08:57 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i live in Minnesota, and i have 3 speeding tickets over the course of almost 3 years that i want rid of my driving record.

states give FELONY pardons, and speeding at the most is a petty/misdimeanor.

so does anyone know how to get a "clean slate" if at all possible or am i just "s.o.l." ???

BuiltToughF250

Old 10-24-2002, 09:46 AM
fatdaddy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In texas , they have a thing called Deferred Adjudication , whereby you pay Double whatever the fine is and if you don't get anymore tickets for 90 days the ticket does Not go on your driving record---which, I think, is really a good deal.........fd

Old 10-24-2002, 10:17 AM
russellkr
Senior User

MD has/had something similar where if you hadn't had a lot of moving violations you could make a donation to the "Good Drivers Fund" and the would drop the charge as long as you didn't get any more tickets for a year.

Old 10-24-2002, 12:11 PM
American Muscle
Junior User

I think, because of the fact that you've already paid the fines/been to court over these tickets, there isn't a lot you can do now to get rid of them.

It would seem to me that you're stuck with them now... You might want to slow down.

Old 10-24-2002, 12:24 PM
Tuvanhillbilly
Tuned

I know when I lived in Florida there were certain days of the month when a judge in the district where the ticket was issued would invite attorneys in to have tickets "nol prossed"-- you could hire an attorney who would go in and pay the ticket (full price)--not to the police or sheriff's dept. but to the judge's court. By doing it this way the ticket never went on your record. The money then went into a fund at the court rather than to the local sheriff's or police department. The thing is only lawyers could get in to do this, so you had to either hire a lawyer or have a lawyer friend. It must be a Florida thing, though, 'cause they don't do this in VA.

Old 10-24-2002, 01:26 PM
brienobrien
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-Oct-02 AT 02:30 PM (EST)]It may be too late for you already. I think you are as you say "sol". Usuallly if you go to court, judges can "nolly" a ticket if you pay a fine and don't get another ticket in the next year or so. The record will be expunged if you behave. It differs from state to state. In any event, they will disappear off your driving record after so many years. Usually 5-7. Quit speeding or get a good radar detector. You are probably seeing some steep increases in your insurance by now.
That certainly is the down side of the ticket. Slow down partner!
As far as felony pardons, I may be wrong, but when you are pardoned, I think one still has the felony record, even though they don't do the time. Any one else know?

Old 10-24-2002, 01:55 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend

Here in Florida a ticket stays on your record for three years and providing you don't get another in that time you will have a clean license.You can go to court over it but its a lot of hassle.

Wiz

[link:www.clubfte.com/users/thewiz427/index.html|"Wiz's Place"]

Old 10-24-2002, 06:52 PM
mick460
Elder User

It's a little late now but you should have gotten a lawyer to get the tickets reduced or changed when you went to court. I have had 2 speeding (20+ over) reduced to a nonpoint violation. If it works like Wisconsins license program you get so many points back a year. I hope you add points faster than get them subtracted.

Old 10-25-2002, 02:51 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User

In California if you get a speeding ticket or moving violation, you can elect to attend a driver safty course. Lasts two days on a weekend. You still have to pay the fine but after completion of the course your driving record will remain clean as long as you don't get another ticket within 18 months. After 18 months you can ease up on looking in your rear view mirror.:P

Old 04-09-2003, 11:20 PM
mrak
Senior User

Yes. The governor can pardon your ticket. I used to work in this area...

Old 04-09-2003, 11:37 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

Here in Maryland, you can write the MVA (our DMV - I still call it the DMV) and ask to have your record expunged if you've managed to keep out of trouble for (I think) 2 years.

XXL

Old 04-10-2003, 05:01 AM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

Originally posted by fatdaddy
In texas , they have a thing called Deferred Adjudication , whereby you pay Double whatever the fine is and if you don't get anymore tickets for 90 days the ticket does Not go on your driving record---which, I think, is really a good deal.........fd
It sounds like a good deal. It also admits 'it's about money'

Old 04-10-2003, 06:27 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

...It also admits 'it's about money'
Same exact thought I had when I read fatdaddy's post.

I may be wrong, but when you are pardoned, I think one still has the felony record, even though they don't do the time. Any one else know?
"Absolute" or "Unconditional" pardons wipe away both the penalty and the underlying offense. It's as if it never happened. There are lesser degrees of a pardon, more common I would think, which only wipe away the punishment, but not the underlying offense. There still is a criminal record. So you are right on that. BTW, I do NOT know this from personal experience, in case anybody is wondering.

BuiltToughF250, here is something to think about: whether or not you get your speeding tickets expunged from your driving record probably won't help with your insurance rates, at least not right away. That is because insurance companies have their own sources of information and maintain there own databases of driver history. They don't simply rely on state DMV records.

Old 04-10-2003, 07:44 AM
couleeman
Posting Guru

I know in some countys (Ramesy comes to mind) they will allow you to pay the ticket at the court appearance without it going on your record. You must appear in court to do this though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can you be "pardoned" for speeding tickets?