1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Clutch slave cylinder problem or is it master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 AM
chris64
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch slave cylinder problem or is it master cylinder

Clutch pedal goes to floor, with no resistance. Master cyl for brakes has fluid, is the slave cyl bad? If so, any tricks to replacing, and removing air from line?
Now that she's a running I can't wait to take it on the road!
Thank you, C
Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by chris64; 11-26-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: n
Old 11-23-2010, 06:45 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The pre-bled master slave is the easiest to install but expensive, and it didn't last too long. Last time I changed my slave I just swapped out the old for new, pumped it with my finger while laying under the truck about 100 times and it still didn't work. I had to remove the master from the firewall and point it down, pump it several times to work the air I had pumped into that line out, then go back down to the slave and pump it a whole bunch more.

I'd suggest pulling the master from the firewall and let it dangle so any air bubbles coming up from the slave don't get sidetracked into the master line. Then just remove the old and stick on the new and pump the little rod with your finger. If you have a helper, have them watch for bubbles in the reservoir, then give it another 20 pumps for good measure and you should be good to go in half the time I spent messing with it.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:16 PM
chris64
Senior User
Hi Chris, and thanks.
So I'd loosen master from firewall, and have the nose point down, to help get the air bubbles to come right to the top?
Sounds good, I'll run and get one in the AM.
Thank you,
C

Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
i had zero issues when i did my slave cylinder, i did it in about 20 mins taking my time, just pop the line of, replace the oring, put the codder pin back in and i bled mine by hand because the new one didn't have a bleeder on it, just hand pump the rod back and forth you will tell when all the air is out, just be careful to not empty the res. or you will pump more air in.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:39 PM
chris64
Senior User
Truck had working slave cyl when I got it, but it sat for 12 months while I fixed the motor.
Must be a leak somewhere.
thank you, C

Old 11-23-2010, 08:44 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
slaves go out all the time, there rather cheap to be honest, the front seal if you take apart the slave, they hold all the pressure, so they go and leak past it and bleed it all out. just get anoher slave, VERY easy to replace and cheap, unlike 99 rangers... pull the tranny to do em! uhg!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've gone through 13 slave cylinders on my truck. I'm confident I can have one changed in about 10-15 minutes, bled and running down the road. I have never unbolted the clutch master to bleed them. I just pump the slave by hand a few times, get out and fill the rez some more, then back to pumping again..

Edit, I only went through that many because the pivot arm for the throwout bearing was broken and was twisting on the throwout bearing making the slaves go out all the time. I got that fixed and haven't been through anymore yet.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 PM
chris64
Senior User
15minutes? Come on over and I'll throw some home raised Black angus steaks on the grill! Yeah I'll grab one and throw it on, is there a special fitting for the line?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
nope! thers a small codder pin in there, just knock it out and the line falls right out, its kind of weird that a little pin keeps it all together. just replace that oring, easy to look that over

Old 11-23-2010, 09:14 PM
chris64
Senior User
I'm on it! thanks for the great replies. That, and a brake line, and i can take her for a spin !!!!! the fact tha the truck has come together, and it's the last week of deer season, has made for some very full days! No luck yet, a 10 pt buck ran past my stand opening morning , and i haven't seen any good ones since

Old 11-24-2010, 02:41 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by chris64
15minutes? Come on over and I'll throw some home raised Black angus steaks on the grill! Yeah I'll grab one and throw it on, is there a special fitting for the line?
I had to change slave cylinders pretty quick several times when one would go out on my way to work or something. Driving without a clutch in town sucks so I would swing into an auto parts store parking lot and change it out real quick and run about my business. haha

Old 11-24-2010, 07:57 PM
chris64
Senior User
Just picked it up this evening.
Doubt I'll be in the barn much on Thanksgiving!
Still have a brake line, and waterpump/radiator to install.
Hoping to take it for a ride this weekend!
everyone and their families have a great day tomorrow
C

Old 11-24-2010, 07:58 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I've gone through 13 slave cylinders on my truck.
Where the heck are you getting your slave's at? I'm only on #3 with the first one being from the factory.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:48 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F350-6
Where the heck are you getting your slave's at? I'm only on #3 with the first one being from the factory.
The first 12 were all parts store parts. Advance, Oreillys, A-Line, etc. Tried them all including the ones with bleeder screws and the ones without bleeders on them.

After I fixed the clutch lever for the throwout bearing I put in a new slave cylinder from Advance and a new master cylinder. Ran that stuff for a year with no issues then something came apart earlier this year. Fluid came from something and I got tired of messing with it so I went to Ford and got a new slave and a new line. Put that in and the master started blowing fluid so I went to Advance and got a new master and put that on b/c it was Saturday and Ford was already closed.

Haven't had any issues, but my clutch pedal is NOT consistant and I think the clutch master is to blame for that. I will get a complete pre-bled unit next time around, but I don't think the hydraulics are to blame. I think the sleeve that the throwout bearing slides on also needs attention.. I got something to fix that issue too.. Can you say full cryo'd ZF??? LOL

Old 11-24-2010, 09:09 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
The first 12 were all parts store parts. Advance, Oreillys, A-Line, etc. Tried them all including the ones with bleeder screws and the ones without bleeders on them.

After I fixed the clutch lever for the throwout bearing I put in a new slave cylinder from Advance and a new master cylinder. Ran that stuff for a year with no issues then something came apart earlier this year. Fluid came from something and I got tired of messing with it so I went to Ford and got a new slave and a new line. Put that in and the master started blowing fluid so I went to Advance and got a new master and put that on b/c it was Saturday and Ford was already closed.

Haven't had any issues, but my clutch pedal is NOT consistant and I think the clutch master is to blame for that. I will get a complete pre-bled unit next time around, but I don't think the hydraulics are to blame. I think the sleeve that the throwout bearing slides on also needs attention.. I got something to fix that issue too.. Can you say full cryo'd ZF??? LOL
I went with the pre-bled unit the first time. The stock set up lasted over 200k miles. The replacement just under 100k. I've had an autozoo slave in for around 30k with no issues so far.

My throwout is starting to make a bunch of noise so I guess I'll be pulling a tranny soon. If you figure out how to cryo a plastic POS throwout let me know.

Quick Reply: Clutch slave cylinder problem or is it master cylinder