6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

DIY REMOTE OIL COOLER AND FILTER COMPLETE (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the way thanks for y'alls comments and insight. I wouldn't have even attempted this project if it weren't for other guys attempting and posting about it before me.

Special thanks to them for posting about it and to Tim for help on measurements and for his old oil cooler housing for a template.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:36 PM
-=Pit=-
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
npccpartsman so you have the Bulletproof Oil Cooler system? How do you like it? Do you feel it's worth the money? Sorry to jump in on this but I am just curious as I have been thinking about this on the next go around.

Pit

Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by -=Pit=-
npccpartsman so you have the Bulletproof Oil Cooler system? How do you like it? Do you feel it's worth the money? Sorry to jump in on this but I am just curious as I have been thinking about this on the next go around.

Pit
So far I like the bulletproof system. I've only had in on for about 3K miles and it's basically been "cold" since I installed it but my truck seems to love it.

As far as "worth the money" I think that's relevent to what you use your truck for and what your mechanical ability is. If you tow hard, run your truck hard, work it hard, then YES, worth the money AND peace of mind. It's a one time install. You don't have to worry about changing oil coolers again. If you can do it yourself then it's worth the difference, IMHO, in the price. You can put the stock cooler back in cheaper several times for what the bulletproof costs if you're a do it yourselfer or you can do it once and be done.

It is a long term investment now and a great selling point if you ever decide to get rid of your truck.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:47 AM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
So far I like the bulletproof system. I've only had in on for about 3K miles and it's basically been "cold" since I installed it but my truck seems to love it.

As far as "worth the money" I think that's relevent to what you use your truck for and what your mechanical ability is. If you tow hard, run your truck hard, work it hard, then YES, worth the money AND peace of mind. It's a one time install. You don't have to worry about changing oil coolers again. If you can do it yourself then it's worth the difference, IMHO, in the price. You can put the stock cooler back in cheaper several times for what the bulletproof costs if you're a do it yourselfer or you can do it once and be done.

It is a long term investment now and a great selling point if you ever decide to get rid of your truck.

How is the oil warm up rate compaired to the coolant?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
I don't know what has happened but their seems to be a new a new remote oil cooler kit on the market by Maryland Performance Diesel. The last time I saw these guys mention their intentions on a oil cooler kit Bulletproof Diesel implied there would be legal action for patent infringement.

Its all in this thread who makes remote oil coolers - Powerstroke Nation

But they seem to have done their research and found that they can legally produce them because they are now offering them on the next two links.

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79885

Remote Oil Cooler

The plate that I made is very very similar to theirs.

Last edited by hubler13f; 12-07-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: massed a link up a link
Old 12-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
For $200 more then bulletproof's I doubt they have much to fear. But really just selling the plates for a decent price would make someone a millionaire. From what I've seen you can get everything but the plate for around $200-$400. Or do they make those delete plates from melted down golden coins?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:58 AM
hubler13f
Elder User
Originally Posted by Unrealo4
For $200 more then bulletproof's I doubt they have much to fear. But really just selling the plates for a decent price would make someone a millionaire. From what I've seen you can get everything but the plate for around $200-$400. Or do they make those delete plates from melted down golden coins?
When I built mine I ended up with over $450 just in hose and fittings, but I did go way heavy on the hose and got reusabled fitting, crimp on would save alot of money.

I think these guys have their price at the $1500 range, just to compete with Bulletproofs $1800 range, so maybe now that there is some competition in the market, we the consumer may see more reasonable prices, maybe not but a little wishful thinking never hurt anyone.

I built my first plate out of 1/2" aluminum for right around $50 total if you include welding supplies and everything else, but this has got me curious about what a local machine shop would charge for the machine work. So last night I bought a piece of .75x8.5x9.75 T6 aluminum plate for $15.25 off of ebay and plan on stopping by a local machine shop with some plans and the old oil cooler housing as a template to see what he will charge me. If the price is not competative then I will resort to the old wood router with a carbide bit trick and do the maching myself. It should be interesting to see how cheap I can get one made locally.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:30 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

And just to be "fair" pricewise MOST people would probably have to add the $100 for the optional fuel bowl bracket that's not included with the MPD kit. The bulletproof kit uses the factory fuel bowl standard. I meant to ask what you did for that part Jeremy?

Old 12-08-2010, 07:54 AM
hubler13f
Elder User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
And just to be "fair" pricewise MOST people would probably have to add the $100 for the optional fuel bowl bracket that's not included with the MPD kit. The bulletproof kit uses the factory fuel bowl standard. I meant to ask what you did for that part Jeremy?
Right now my fuel bowl is floating, I know it's not a good idea. I was planning on getting the airdog2 and deleting it but funds have gotten tight with christmas coming up so i was planning on addressing that this weekend when I tear it down to install the check valves.

That brings up a good point about these guys fuel bowl mount. It basically forces you to delete the EGR valve which I am not a fan of. I think that a better idea would be a similar mounting arm with a u shape at the base that will mount with the EGR valve bolts and allow the EGR valve to stay in place.

Another thing that is suggested for colder climates is the oil thermostat. I am wondering if something like that would cure my seemingly slow build up of oil pressure in cold weather.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:54 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

My bulletproof kit has a thermostat and I don't notice any difference on startup.

My Sinister RR kit uses the secondary filter housing so I'm glad the BP retains it, which I actually think is a good thing. Nice neat "factory" look. A forced EGR valve delete is a mistake IMHO although it's fairly "easy" to get out of that Ford flash now. I'm going to roll back to an earlier flash, if it's even necessary since I basically have to run tuned anyway. I just have some really good older tunes I'd like to run.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Well I thought bulletproof's kit was around $1200-1300. You know I'm not one that thinks PROFIT is a 4 letter word but $1800 is price gougeing!

Old 12-11-2010, 04:26 PM
GTRider
Senior User
Originally Posted by Unrealo4
Well I thought bulletproof's kit was around $1200-1300. You know I'm not one that thinks PROFIT is a 4 letter word but $1800 is price gougeing!
Well, closer to $2K with shipping. Noticed the shipping rates are steep. I'm thinking quite a few more people would pull the trigger on this if it seemed more reasonable. Most people are still looking at another $2-3,000 for installation. Now add a couple of guages and turbo drain tube and will be more affordable to push it off a cliff and buy a 2002 7.3 PSD that still has 400,000 miles of life left.

I kick myself every day for trading "up" from my 7.3

No disrespect intended toward BPD. I'm sure their price is based on some cost analysis profit return data.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GTRider
Well, closer to $2K with shipping. Noticed the shipping rates are steep. I'm thinking quite a few more people would pull the trigger on this if it seemed more reasonable. Most people are still looking at another $2-3,000 for installation. Now add a couple of guages and turbo drain tube and will be more affordable to push it off a cliff and buy a 2002 7.3 PSD that still has 400,000 miles of life left.

I kick myself every day for trading "up" from my 7.3

No disrespect intended toward BPD. I'm sure their price is based on some cost analysis profit return data.
The OP made a kit for $450. So how could $2k be a reasonable price by any means? Even doubleing that at $900 would be a good price and a good profit. Not to mention they would sell A TON more and prolly make more money in just volume.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:51 PM
GTRider
Senior User
Never said $2K was reasonable. I said IF it were more reasonable; hence my push it off a cliff remark.

On the other side of the coin, do you run your own business? Do you know what BPD overhead is? I won't question the reasons for the price. They are obviously satisfied with the demand at the price point they set. Maybe, if they dropped the price, production would not be able to meet demand. Then people would complain it took 6 weeks to get their order.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
I do run my own bisiness. And I understand cost and overhead. But in my line of work if we priced stuff at a 500% profit we wouldn't be in bisiness. I also keep my overhead very very low. About the only thing that really doesn't fit in around here is my expensive truck. Also I wasn't knocking on your comment. I only quoted it because of the price/steep shipping cost part.

Quick Reply: DIY REMOTE OIL COOLER AND FILTER COMPLETE (with pics)