6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

My exhaust leak story/warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:32 PM
EODguyJake
Fulltime INFIDEL!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My exhaust leak story/warning

So, after this latest experience, I think it is worth posting about. I had noticed some faint exhaust smell from time to time with the heater...or at least I thought I only noticed it from time to time. I usually chalked it up to exhaust coming in cause the window was cracked, or the door being open when I started the truck. After a trip to npccpartsman's house, we found that I had leaks at the manifold on the passenger side. I spent today installing a manifold gasket. As soon as I finished the job and showered up, I hit the road back home from the holiday. It's about a 2.5 hour drive, and I had the heater going to some degree the whole time. When I said I only THOUGHT there was exhaust in the cab from time to time, I was wrong. During the drive home, the difference in air quality in the cab was VERY noticeable. It's hard to describe, but I would have never noticed the difference until the job was done.

If you know you have a leak, or even think you have a leak, fix it. I'm by no means a master mechanic, and to be honest, the prospect of doing a manifold gasket on my own intimidated me. I'm competent enough with a wrench, but still. I was able to do the job on my own, totally unsupervised, taking my sweet time, in a little under 4 hours. That includes a break or two for frustration, and one for a quick bite to eat. The hardest part for me was working with these big sandwich clamps in somewhat tight spaces.

Even once we found I had the leak, I wasn't too worried about it. We only found it less than a week ago, so by no means was I procrastinating. But, if I hadn't had the extra time from the holidays, I probably would have put it off thinking that 90% of the time, it wasn't noticeable, so logic says it's not bad, right? Yeah, I was wrong. If you think you have a leak, or especially if you know it, just fix it.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:11 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should have one like I had...Had to completely scrub the interior down after I fixed it. And try it in the dead of winter when diesels don't burn fuel very efficently...wow! My daughter went to town with me, -20 and we had the windows down, and she was streaming tears and sick! Should have got after it earlier, was too busy with fall work.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:14 PM
whalerron
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When my truck had 2K miles on it, found sooty deposits at some of the points where the exhaust manifolds connect to the head exhaust ports. The dealer told me this was a known problem and they added exhaust gaskets to both sides. This work was done under warranty.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:16 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why no gaskets from factory?

Originally Posted by whalerron
When my truck had 2K miles on it, found sooty deposits at some of the points where the exhaust manifolds connect to the head exhaust ports. The dealer told me this was a known problem and they added exhaust gaskets to both sides. This work was done under warranty.
So why are there no exhaust gaskets originally on the engine? Does it have to do with heat transfer from head to manifold?

Should I go back and put gaskets on as a preventative measure, and if so what are the part numbers?

Old 11-27-2010, 04:22 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBestKindOfEX
So why are there no exhaust gaskets originally on the engine? Does it have to do with heat transfer from head to manifold?

Should I go back and put gaskets on as a preventative measure, and if so what are the part numbers?
If they aren't leaking now then let sleeping dogs lay. Mine have been on and off several times and they don't leak (knock on wood).

Exhaust manifold gasket 6C3Z-9448-A.

Fel Pro MS96833

The factory gaskets come one at a time and are two layer metal gaskets.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:29 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Thanks npccpartsman, Glad someone gets up as early as I do......

I wasn't thrilled about the idea of pulling the mani's...I just did the head gaskets and have all the wrench time I need for a while......

Old 11-27-2010, 04:55 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Thanks npccpartsman, Glad someone gets up as early as I do......
LOL--my normal time and I don't even have job....actually an hour behind you too. It's an "old age" thing I guess.

Sitting here catching up on the forum and watching the end of Boise St. and Nevada that I didn't see last night. Have no idea what the outcome is but it's in overtime......GO NEVADA.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:00 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

WOW--NEVADA WINS IN OT............WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old 11-27-2010, 06:03 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,489 Likes on 1,726 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
WOW--NEVADA WINS IN OT............WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
What a game that must have been!!

Now if only Auburn and Oregon could have lost!!

(Go Oklahoma State)

Glad you are getting your truck where you want it EODguyJake.

I am a little jealous of all you have gotten done to it. Did you notice I went w/ the Duratracs also (at least I believe I was told that you had installed them also - hope I am remembering correctly).

Old 11-27-2010, 06:23 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by bismic
What a game that must have been!!

Now if only Auburn and Oregon could have lost!!

(Go Oklahoma State)

Boise State had their chance at the end of regulation and their kicker blew it twice (once in OT also).

Auburn HAD to win so the Hogs can beat LSU and go to the Sugar Bowl.

Jake does have the Duratracs on his truck and seems to like them quite a bit. I know they are a LOT quieter than the Nitto's he had and they seem to ride and drive a lot better too. None of the wiggle/wander I've heard about.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:29 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by EODguyJake
If you know you have a leak, or even think you have a leak, fix it. I'm by no means a master mechanic, and to be honest, the prospect of doing a manifold gasket on my own intimidated me. I'm competent enough with a wrench, but still. I was able to do the job on my own, totally unsupervised, taking my sweet time, in a little under 4 hours. That includes a break or two for frustration, and one for a quick bite to eat. The hardest part for me was working with these big sandwich clamps in somewhat tight spaces.
I knew you could do it, I just had to goad you into it--LMAO. I do feel for the folks that have BIG hands and have to try to work on these trucks. Not an easy task without having to "jump through hoops" sometimes. GOOD JOB!!!

Old 11-27-2010, 06:40 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,489 Likes on 1,726 Posts
Good morning Tim!

I thought that it was you that I had heard it from - just couldn't trust my memory this morning - lol.

Off topic, but have you checked to see how the new oil cooler is working in this cold weather?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:48 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Boise State had their chance at the end of regulation and their kicker blew it twice (once in OT also).

Auburn HAD to win so the Hogs can beat LSU and go to the Sugar Bowl.

Jake does have the Duratracs on his truck and seems to like them quite a bit. I know they are a LOT quieter than the Nitto's he had and they seem to ride and drive a lot better too. None of the wiggle/wander I've heard about.
I knew you could do it, I just had to goad you into it--LMAO. I do feel for the folks that have BIG hands and have to try to work on these trucks. Not an easy task without having to "jump through hoops" sometimes. GOOD JOB!!!
Gotta love College football! I'll be watching that one also, but on the other side of the field....

I was going to ask a friend that's a heavy equip mechanic to help with my head gasket replacement, but his hands are HUGE and I knew that wouldn't work....
Sometimes it pays to be a skinny guy.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:50 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by bismic
Good morning Tim!

Off topic, but have you checked to see how the new oil cooler is working in this cold weather?
Morning Mark!!

Honestly??? I don't have any way to read the temps. Maybe Santa will bring me something. The truck "seems" to like it a lot though. My unit has a thermostat that a lot of the earlier units didn't have. I guess I'll have to talk Jake out of his DD for a bit so I can datalog it and see, although the only comparable temps I have are in HOT (105*+) weather.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:52 AM
whalerron
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So why are there no exhaust gaskets originally on the engine?
I don't know about other years but In 2005, the engines shipped from the factory without exhaust manifold gaskets. The heads and the manifolds are machined for a leak-free fit. It was probably done for cost savings in the manufacturing process. All automotive manufacturers, heavy trucks included, do what they can to save pennies at every step of the build process. It's the same reason that front hub assemblies can no longer be disassembled and serviced. In the past, it cost time and money to pack and set bearings in the hub as it was attached to the axle. Now, a factory in Mexico can stamp out hub assemblies at a fraction of the cost it takes to put one together on the vehicle assembly line.

Quick Reply: My exhaust leak story/warning