Notices

Air Intake & Spacers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Ltsquared
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to add some more horsepower to my 2002 Supercrew and was wondering if someone could tell me if getting an aftermarket Air Intake system and/or the intake spacers will do the trick. Do these really make a differance or am I just blowing the money? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-01-2003, 08:48 AM
okiebronco
Senior User

if you have efi i dont see how a spacer could possibly help. they are designed to mix the air better with the fuel. since efi generally injects the fuel right into the cylinders there is no mixing that occures in the intake now if it was on a tbi or carb engine that would be a different story

Old 03-01-2003, 10:16 AM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome LT!!

I helped a friend (actually did it for him ) last night put an Airaid spacer and Mac Open Intake on his '03 F-150 with the 5.4. I have the K&N FIPK, and before I put the supercharger on, I ran an Airaid for a short time.

I have heard their claims that with both the spacer and the intake, you will pick up 25hp. Hehe - I don't think so. You will pick up maybe a few , just because you are getting more air and it is less restrictive, but I think most of the horsepower people think they are getting comes from their mind just because when they punch it they can hear the air sucked through the filter.

As far as the Airaid, I agree with okiebronco. If you are running a carbed system or tbi, then you would really see more gains than EFI. But I do have to saythe Airaid does something on an EFI also. When I first put my Eaton supercharger on, I left the Airaid on, and the X ran like crap. IT would not respond well and clearly something was worng. I took it off, and immediately that was the problem. That told me the Airaid does do something to the air, I'm just really not sure what and to what degree...

All this is my own personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt... I wish I would have had free access to a dyno, then I could really tell...

Last edited by CobraXP; 03-04-2003 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:12 PM
03f150man
Elder User

the spacers are a waste of money on late model trucks (running 97 4.6V8). The f and n stage 2's do sound good, and i felt a slight improvement when accelerating, but iintake assembly now sits in my garage due to articles i read about how well the f and n's filter. IMO.