Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dana 44 TTB axle strength

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:04 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dana 44 TTB axle strength

Since I stirred some coals and lit a decent fire, I might as well seek some advice on the front Dana 44 TTB in terms of strength.
I intend to have both front wheels spinning, open diff's suck. There's nothng more frusturating then seeing the wheel on dry pavement not spinning, while the wheel with power is spinning helplessly in the mud or snow.
What's the weakest link on the front axle? I've read about the inner U-joint on the passenger side having a tendency to break loose when there's too much power applied. I seem to remember someone recommended tack-welding the U-joint caps to the shaft to keep it in place.
I'm looking for the nice ride of the coil sprung independent TTB, and am not looking to do a Solid Axle Swap. I'd leave the rig 2wd, but I'm sick of shoveling the truck out. I don't do any mud bogging, just using the truck hauling junk out to the compost pile. But after it rains....well you get the idea.
I'd love to see an ARB Air Locker in the front end, but funds aren't allowing for that right now. So I'm considering welding it. I'll leave the hubs unlocked when I'm on the road, so steering won't be compromised until I lock 'em up when I hit the dirt.
I'd run the welded front end until I have the funds for the ARB.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:17 PM
96ford250
Elder User
44 TTB isnt very strong youll be ok as long as your not running big tires just check your tire wear the ball joints dont last long.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:36 PM
fairlane68
Senior User
Originally Posted by 96ford250
44 TTB isnt very strong youll be ok as long as your not running big tires just check your tire wear the ball joints dont last long.
Tell that to this guy: '74 F-100 Build thread "prerunner" (desert truck) LOTS of PICS

Makes his living off of TTB axles. This is his '74:

They are like anything else...they're as strong as you can build them.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:17 PM
94MustangGT
Elder User
So you're converting a 2WD to 4WD?

If so, I think 4WD with a rear LSD should be enough to get you through the sane stuff with decent tires. A selectable locker would be ideal if you don't run an open carrier up front. Have you looked in the Eaton E-Locker or Ox Locker? A good locker is going to cost some cash, but it's should be something you only have to once. As long as your smart with and don't abuse it, the TTB 44 should be fine on smaller tires with limited locker use.

In your case, where you want a capable truck but aren't looking to crawl up a mountain, an Auburn ECTED or something similar in the rear with an open front may be the most effective set up per $ spent. It's a LSD in standard trim that goes to almost fully locked(from what I understand) at the push of a button. Best of both worlds...you get the street manners of a LSD with on demand locker performance when needed.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:25 PM
jrwhitmire
Senior User
If you're worried about the 44's inner u joint, you can use the inner axle & slip joint from a 50 TTB which has a larger u joint but the same splines to the spiders & outer axle.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:06 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
I wouldn't put a locker in the front end unless you only plan on using it after your stuck. I had factory LSD on the front & rear of my last truck. The LSD made it hard to drive with the hubs locked so I only locked the hubs when I absolutely had to.

A locker would make this worse. Just something to think about. I wouldn't worry about a TTB front end under regular use. It's not really a bad axle.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:13 AM
pro70golfer14
Senior User
d44=weak=crap

Old 11-22-2010, 12:20 AM
bruegge
Freshman User
I've never had problems with mine - keep the tires a sane size

Old 11-22-2010, 12:32 AM
94MustangGT
Elder User
Originally Posted by pro70golfer14
d44=weak=crap
Depends on application, like most things in life...

Old 11-22-2010, 08:33 AM
96ford250
Elder User
Originally Posted by fairlane68
Tell that to this guy: '74 F-100 Build thread "prerunner" (desert truck) LOTS of PICS

Makes his living off of TTB axles. This is his '74:

They are like anything else...they're as strong as you can build them.
Yea but look at all the money, time and effort he put in to that he said he didnt have the funds to get a locker what makes you think he has the funds to get all that done to his truck. That axle is almost a 1 off custom axle with some serious work done to it and the average guy isnt gunna be able to do all that by himself. Not to mention he had to build that for a prerunner to save on weight im sure hes not worried about weight seeing that hes gunna use the truck for hauling.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:19 AM
smashclash
Elder User
don't put a locker in the front end. turning will be a nightmare. stick with limited slip in the back and open in the front and you'll be ok.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 AM
fairlane68
Senior User
Originally Posted by 96ford250
Yea but look at all the money, time and effort he put in to that he said he didnt have the funds to get a locker what makes you think he has the funds to get all that done to his truck. That axle is almost a 1 off custom axle with some serious work done to it and the average guy isnt gunna be able to do all that by himself. Not to mention he had to build that for a prerunner to save on weight im sure hes not worried about weight seeing that hes gunna use the truck for hauling.
Actually, he did that himself, and he's pretty much an average guy who also has friends. As am I, except I don't have friends...I have moochers. Anyone who says the D44 TTB is junk has spent too much time over at Pirate and FSB. I put that pic there to show that the TTB axle can be built up just like anything else. But for what the OP is intending, it'll do just fine in stock form.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalBud
Since I stirred some coals and lit a decent fire, I might as well seek some advice on the front Dana 44 TTB in terms of strength.
I intend to have both front wheels spinning, open diff's suck. There's nothng more frusturating then seeing the wheel on dry pavement not spinning, while the wheel with power is spinning helplessly in the mud or snow.
What's the weakest link on the front axle? I've read about the inner U-joint on the passenger side having a tendency to break loose when there's too much power applied. I seem to remember someone recommended tack-welding the U-joint caps to the shaft to keep it in place.
I'm looking for the nice ride of the coil sprung independent TTB, and am not looking to do a Solid Axle Swap. I'd leave the rig 2wd, but I'm sick of shoveling the truck out. I don't do any mud bogging, just using the truck hauling junk out to the compost pile. But after it rains....well you get the idea.
I'd love to see an ARB Air Locker in the front end, but funds aren't allowing for that right now. So I'm considering welding it. I'll leave the hubs unlocked when I'm on the road, so steering won't be compromised until I lock 'em up when I hit the dirt.
I'd run the welded front end until I have the funds for the ARB.
There are a lot of variables that need to go into the formula. What size tires are you planning to run? How much horsepower under the hood? What kind of terrain are you going over?

I'll tell you this, for 95% of people, a front locker (or welded front carrier) is just plain unnecessary. A good locker in the back, an open front carrier, and good tires will get you through virtually anything. Unless you are building a mud racer or hardcore offroader (and it doesn't sound like you have the budget for the hardcore version) just leave the front open.

A locker will add stress to the front axle and depending on tire size, this might not be something you want.

A D44 will hold up under a reasonable amount of abuse with an open carrier and 33" or 35" tires. If you weld it, don't go larger than 33".

This is all IMO... others' experience may vary slightly.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:42 PM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
My 0.02 USD worth . . .

You know, I don't want to come off sounding like a horse's behind but a LS in not needed up front unless you're doing some serious wheeling or rock climbing.

(USAF nasty weather driving school 101)

When one wheel finds itself with no traction, I.E. one on pavement, one in mud/snow/sand, a gentle application of the service brakes will 'energize' (that's what they said!) the differential. Now that the tire with no traction is being slowed, the tire with good traction will receive the torque and move the vehicle.

(/school)

Mid-70's mandatory lecture, Lowry AFB, Colorado. I used the information from the lecture that very winter in a 4X4 Travelall. Works like a charm. And by the way, that big-@$$ rig had D44's on both ends. IIRC, the front was a closed knuckle, too. Needed a block to turn around.

Ray

Old 11-22-2010, 02:22 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Bottom line, stockish sized tires the D44 TTB is just fine and dandy.. I have 33s with 4.56s in my 94, and I don't worry one bit about the TTB..... BUT don't weld it or put a locker in it UNLESS you want to break it... Just ask me how I know.

Quick Reply: Dana 44 TTB axle strength