Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

ip adjustment with new injectors?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:38 AM
andrew1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ip adjustment with new injectors?

I have 2 replace 2 injectors, i was chasing air intrusion and I notice 2 of the injectors where wet on the tip so i'm just going to replace all of them. Do i have to do any adjustment to my ip, or are they just drop-in?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
It's my understanding once you replace your injectors, you should have it retimed.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:45 AM
andrew1
Senior User
So I have to break it back down?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
No just sometimes the worn pump will not work well with the new higher pop off rate and you need to retime the pump.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:09 AM
andrew1
Senior User
which procedure is that? is it the one that i'm reading about loosen the 3 bolts and turn the ip to the left or right?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:12 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Yes that is it but should only be done by well trained ear or very good timing tools. Does it run and sound the same?If so stop worrying about it and keep on trucking.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:27 AM
andrew1
Senior User
how long does the pump usually last with the new injectors?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:44 AM
axe_handle
Senior User
Originally Posted by andrew1
how long does the pump usually last with the new injectors?
No real way to know the answer to that.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:49 AM
axe_handle
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Yes that is it but should only be done by well trained ear or very good timing tools. Does it run and sound the same?If so stop worrying about it and keep on trucking.
The timing spec is dependent on the method used to time the engine. Personally, I don't like the "by ear" method as I really don't think you can get any sort of accuracy timing by ear. I challenge anyone to time by ear and meet the factory tolerance. You really need the timing tools to time these trucks correctly.

That said, the truck will run using the "ear" method, just don't expect to get the best power or fuel efficiency out of it. Given the price of diesel, you could easily pay for the tools time the truck correctly with the savings in fuel if the truck was timed far enough out and left that way for a few years.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
factory stock timing.....who does that!! Seriously though, it usually takes me a few tries at getting max power with no smoke but it can easily be done. With the tool, what do you do? set the timing, then adjust right. Well what is different than a few miles down the road and a bent 9/16" wrench? My old ip has had new injectors in it for over 7 months now and still kicking but it is failing so in a week or so it is getting replaced. That will be nice!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:36 AM
andrew1
Senior User
leaving work early to pick them up this evening. 40.52 each I know they are much cheaper online, but im tired of dealing with this truck she should be running. So I know i can get ready to drop som doe today.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM
axe_handle
Senior User
Originally Posted by wreckinball
factory stock timing.....who does that!! Seriously though, it usually takes me a few tries at getting max power with no smoke but it can easily be done. With the tool, what do you do? set the timing, then adjust right. Well what is different than a few miles down the road and a bent 9/16" wrench? My old ip has had new injectors in it for over 7 months now and still kicking but it is failing so in a week or so it is getting replaced. That will be nice!

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I would be interested to know what you actual setting is. How far exactly you have it advanced. I'm running 10º advance now @ 2000 (pulse method) rpm on a brand new pump. It will take a few thousand miles before I know if I’m happy with that setting.

Factory timing using the pulse method is 8.5º BTDC ±1º. I guess I’m lost as to why you think the stock setting is such a poor choice given you lack the equipment to know where you are in relation to it.

Flame bait aside, you can time the IP fairly close without the tooling, but it will take longer and you may never get there.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:32 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
I guess i cant see how you missed the smiley rolling around on my post haha. I have no idea where i am on the timing scale, not a friggin clue but my mileage clocking in at an average 16mpg's nearly zero smoke but a puff o black at start up tells me i am above average. So is my timing stock, probably not, would i have a problem timing it to stock with tools, nope. But do have a problem with the prices this island community that thinks 300+ bucks is what it takes to time a 7.3 idi. Nothin but love for you man, no flame here haha, well except for this...

Old 11-19-2010, 05:01 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i was chasing air intrusion and I notice 2 of the injectors where wet on the tip so i'm just going to replace all of them.
search:
"injector install kit"
also commonly called:
"return lines"

and you may find that the injectors are not what is leaking.

leaving work early to pick them up this evening. 40.52 each I know they are much cheaper online, but im tired of dealing with this truck she should be running. So I know i can get ready to drop som doe today.
you'll need an injector install kit either way.so don;t forget to grab one when you're out.
otherwise,your going to be disappointed really fast,when you find out,you caused more leaks,rather than cured a couple.

oh.by the way.i see 40 bucks a pop earns the "mad" face.
this may make you smile.
7.3l power stroke injectors:
ATS Performance Powerstroke injectors

Old 11-19-2010, 05:34 PM
andrew1
Senior User
So the the return line kit will still make the the injectors wet on the spray tip? I just purchased the injector and return kit it was time. And my wellman glowplug just made it in the mail. So between all of that something has to give.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ip adjustment with new injectors?