6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New OEM or FASS system

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:42 AM
fyrsail
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New OEM or FASS system

Alright so i have a bad fuel pump I'm being told due to fuel filters being clogged by bad fuel. My big Question is do I stay with the Ford OEM style pump or go to Air-dog or some other FASS. Any other things I need to check before replacing pump? I have done the BB mod and it helped at idle but still get the bucking at WOT.

Can we all chime in and give a little knowledge here please?

The symptoms are idle is pretty good and smooth for the most part, and around 45 mph i get a pulsing or lack of fuel to cylinders. Almost like telling her her sister is better.... yes that violent.

It is shut down untill I hear back.

It's a 2005 6.0 with 35's and a four inch lift K&n filter, Banks pipe out the back, EGR delete.

Also is there any GURU's in the Indianapolis IN area?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:13 AM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fyrsail
Alright so i have a bad fuel pump I'm being told due to fuel filters being clogged by bad fuel. My big Question is do I stay with the Ford OEM style pump or go to Air-dog or some other FASS. Any other things I need to check before replacing pump? I have done the BB mod and it helped at idle but still get the bucking at WOT.

Can we all chime in and give a little knowledge here please?

The symptoms are idle is pretty good and smooth for the most part, and around 45 mph i get a pulsing or lack of fuel to cylinders. Almost like telling her her sister is better.... yes that violent.

It is shut down untill I hear back.

It's a 2005 6.0 with 35's and a four inch lift K&n filter, Banks pipe out the back, EGR delete.

Also is there any GURU's in the Indianapolis IN area?
There are a ton of Diesel Techs in Indy...if you can't find one you can always call my Brother down in Terre Haute...70 miles away.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:59 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The stock system isn't bad especially if you just plan on running stock sticks. Now if you think you are going to upgrade your sticks, then I would suggest going ahead and doing a FASS or AirDog II now.

I would, however, consider adding a Fuel Regulated Return Kit whether or not you decide to go with the FASS(AirDog II) or stock pump. To my knowledge the FASS(AirDog II) does not eliminate the dead heading that's on the fuel rails. They are regulated returns, but they don't eliminate dead-heading.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:24 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with tex. If you don't plan to add bigger sticks/or really aggresive custom tunes then stick with the stock pump. They are pretty good. To me if you are just getting aggressive tunes you might need the AM pump. I was able to pull psi down to way less than 45 (the lowest recomended pressure without messing up injectors) with just aggressive race tunes. Granted i'm still not sure if my pump was just getting weak or what, but I have read of serveral people with this problem.
Again it all depends on what your planes are for the truck in the futur.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:41 AM
ehgeeray
Senior User
Originally Posted by texans
I agree with tex. If you don't plan to add bigger sticks/or really aggresive custom tunes then stick with the stock pump. They are pretty good. To me if you are just getting aggressive tunes you might need the AM pump. I was able to pull psi down to way less than 45 (the lowest recomended pressure without messing up injectors) with just aggressive race tunes. Granted i'm still not sure if my pump was just getting weak or what, but I have read of serveral people with this problem.
Again it all depends on what your planes are for the truck in the futur.
Your pump must be getting week because I have stock sticks and see very little pressure drop even with the most aggressive tunes.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:20 AM
texans
Postmaster
I don't have the factory pump anymore. I run a fass 150/180. I was thinking the same thing though. I'm not sure witch one it is. I know when I run the extreme race tune form Eric I could easily drop below 45 if I got on her hard. If I rolled into it it wouldn't drop as much, but If I really got on it hard it would dip down to 38-40 psi.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:35 PM
fyrsail
New User
Im now also being told that #2 injector failed a balance test and that it should be replaced. If im gonna replace injectors should i now up grade and what else should be done at the same time?

Old 11-21-2010, 02:13 PM
texans
Postmaster
depends on what your plans are for the truck. What hp are you wanting to get out it? Do you have a custom programmer? Do you tow any? If so how much weight are we talking about? Basicly need to know what your ultimate plans are for the truck before making any recomendation on sticks.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:18 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by texans
depends on what your plans are for the truck. What hp are you wanting to get out it? Do you have a custom programmer? Do you tow any? If so how much weight are we talking about? Basicly need to know what your ultimate plans are for the truck before making any recomendation on sticks.

^^^Exactly what he said.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 PM
fyrsail
New User
So I pull a gooseneck horse trailer with a motorcycle in it - maybe 6k and thats very seldom. My real want is to have this truck run very well as it is my wife's favorite ride. i would like to be able to run bio and i know that the VW runs it better with larger nozzles. i don't currently run a programmer but would like too increase milage some. The main things i need is for this truck to be reliable for her transportation. I'm seriously considering the Airdog 2 for the regulated return. I have pulled the EGR and took the valves out of the banjos and that helped allot. we are currently running it with 4 inch lift on 35's.

Man I miss my old 7.3 running on WVO....

Old 11-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 2,087 Posts
I vote for the OEM also.

fyrsail, common rail is better for WVO

Old 11-23-2010, 08:24 PM
texans
Postmaster
I would stick with the oem injectors then. Install a regulated return system, and stick with the oem pump as well. Itp makes a nice return kit if you want to go that route.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:22 AM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much is the stock pump?

Old 11-28-2010, 07:43 PM
fyrsail
New User
Stock pump cost 250 with new harness from ford truck dealer here in Indy, they seem to be right on top of things and are very helpful, even ran a diagnoses for free and gave lots of advice. i will be replacing the bad injector this week and will let everyone know how it runs. Also i found some algae build up as far into the system as the banjo bolts, can we clean the injector screens if it on them as well? And how do we get the screens out of the injector????

Old 11-29-2010, 04:51 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by fyrsail
Stock pump cost 250 with new harness from ford truck dealer here in Indy, they seem to be right on top of things and are very helpful, even ran a diagnoses for free and gave lots of advice. i will be replacing the bad injector this week and will let everyone know how it runs. Also i found some algae build up as far into the system as the banjo bolts, can we clean the injector screens if it on them as well? And how do we get the screens out of the injector????
You'll have to disassemble the injector as the screens don't come out. I know Diesel Kleen makes something to combat algae but once it's in the injectors I don't know what you'd do except to remove and clean them.