Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Battle of the Heavy Duties: Chevrolet vs. Ford

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hola Man
If this is true than I wouldn't trust the test. He might be bitter at Ford for being fired (I would be) and failed to fully floor the go pedal on the Ford. Simple as that.

exactly.. who's to know really..

Old 11-20-2010, 02:07 PM
slickretta
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they post fords higher hp and tq ratings then they say their ford test truck didn't have the power upgrade because it wasn't out yet then it says ford was outperformed even tho it has more power lol i thought that was funny.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:40 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Ford always was beaten by Chevy and Dodge in power and reliability but not in sales over 33 years.....To bad for Ford,to bad.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Mack185
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FordF350Superduty
Ford always was beaten by Chevy and Dodge in power and reliability but not in sales over 33 years.....To bad for Ford,to bad.
Well GM has almost always outsold Ford as far as pickups. If it was just Chevy Vs. Ford then yeah Ford outsells them. I look at it as Chevrolet+GMC vs. Ford so GM comes out ahead. Hell, there the same damn pickup.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
and this is in the magazine article:

We decided the best way to offset this perceived advantage was to hire a former Ford Motor company engineer to drive both trucks during all of our testing. Our driver’s name is Harry Rawlins, and he was previously Ford’s Trailer Tow Engineer. Holding that job title meant Rawlins was intimately familiar with Ford’s (as well as GM’s and Dodge’s) towing capabilities. Rawlins also holds a Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL), which meant he was the only person in the test legally able to drive the trucks towing this much weight.
Why do you insist on posting completely false, misleading or just made up information in this thread? I'd expect this from a 1-Post user, not a seasoned moderator...

First you say the Chevy was tuned up, and Ford was detuned - When both trucks were bought right off dealer lots, and it says quite clearly the Ford was a Job 2 truck.

Then you say the Ford Trailer Tow engineer was fired for doing things he wasn't supposed to. Where does it say that in article? Oh right, it doesn't. He could have retired, quit to find a better job or just switched to a different position within Ford! You also conveniently cut the last sentence out of your quote where it says that his own personal truck is a Super Duty! Why would a man that drives a Super Duty try to make one look bad?
Originally Posted by slickretta
they post fords higher hp and tq ratings then they say their ford test truck didn't have the power upgrade because it wasn't out yet then it says ford was outperformed even tho it has more power lol i thought that was funny.
Read the article again, it says quite clearly that in the earlier test months ago they only had a Job 1 truck, but this test they made sure they had a Job 2.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:34 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Why do you insist on posting completely false, misleading or just made up information in this thread? I'd expect this from a 1-Post user, not a seasoned moderator...

First you say the Chevy was tuned up, and Ford was detuned - When both trucks were bought right off dealer lots, and it says quite clearly the Ford was a Job 2 truck.

Then you say the Ford Trailer Tow engineer was fired for doing things he wasn't supposed to. Where does it say that in article? Oh right, it doesn't. He could have retired, quit to find a better job or just switched to a different position within Ford! You also conveniently cut the last sentence out of your quote where it says that his own personal truck is a Super Duty! Why would a man that drives a Super Duty try to make one look bad?
Read the article again, it says quite clearly that in the earlier test months ago they only had a Job 1 truck, but this test they made sure they had a Job 2.
"I'd expect this from a 1-Post user, not a seasoned moderator..." - Completely agree!
He need just read the article again.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:01 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head

where did i say my info came from that one sided article in the magazine?? i clearly stated my info came from another source.

you can believe whatever you want.
i never believe what i read in a magazine.
just today i saw a writeup about how chevy duramax was the far superior truck over dodge and ford, and they claimed the ford 6.7 engine only made 380 hp.
i really don't care what they write, because i will never own a chevy even if they gave it to me. i drive trucks. as far as i am concerned, chevys are 4 wheel drive cars.

but that is my opinion.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:57 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
There were two tests that pitted the 6.7l Ford against the 6.6l GM in both tests the Ford lost as far as the performance numbers are concerned. My theory is that the Ford defuels much earlier than the Duramax, Ford has always been very cautious with their tuning in the past.

I don't know if the 2 minute gap between the Ford and GM at the top of the hill is true. That seems pretty long to me.

Either way I wouldn't buy a GM product. I find GM's recent IPO (which is being hyped up) hilarious. Makes me wonder how many people that were former GM stockholders and got shafted will go out and buy more GM stock. If you know anyone who fits the description in the previous sentence send me their contact info. I have a couple surplus bridges and a large amount of beautiful oceanfront property for sale in Arizona.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:39 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read the test & it was about as fair as it could be in my opinion. That being said, I would of like to of known which one gets better fuel economy? I know the newer Duramax gets much worse mileage than the early ones. A friend of mine has an 09 Duramax & had an 05 Duramax & he told me straight up that he was very disappointed in the fuel economy of his 09. He said that it wasn't getting any better after 60,000 miles.
The truth is unless this new engine of Fords doesn't get better mileage & is not changed every few years as Ford has been doing since the 7.3s. If I was to buy a new truck it would be a Chevy Duramax with the Allison without a second thought. This test had nothing to do with my thoughts on this. I get so pissed off at Ford every time they have ever built a great engine they can't leave it alone, they have to redesign or improve with an engine that seems never to be as good. Man you can look back into the 60s & see that. The one that comes to mind is why did Ford only offer a 360 in 4x4 in the 70s trucks when a 390 was a way better engine. In 2wd you could get a 390 as an option. Better yet why did they even build a 360. GM used the small block 265-350 from 1955 until when into the 2000s. Same with their big block. How many changes with the Duramax 2 generations. The main change was an improved fuel system. Which was the main weakness of the 1st Gen.
For me Ford has to prove this new diesel with time. Which we haven't seen since the 7.3.
Craig

Old 11-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Hola Man
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf
There were two tests that pitted the 6.7l Ford against the 6.6l GM in both tests the Ford lost as far as the performance numbers are concerned. My theory is that the Ford defuels much earlier than the Duramax, Ford has always been very cautious with their tuning in the past.
Yes, and they need to knock it off. Grow some nads and meet the competition head on or expect to lose sales! Even the 6.2 seems to be tuned too conservatively: Quarter-mile Drag (Unloaded) - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports
(While you are there, navigate over to and look at the loaded tests too.) Performance does matter to a lot of folks.

Originally Posted by dkf
I don't know if the 2 minute gap between the Ford and GM at the top of the hill is true. That seems pretty long to me.
Again, if this "contest" doesn't accurately reflect the true performance of the 6.7 Ford, then they need to speak-up about it. If they remain silent, well then that tells me that the test DOES accurately reflect the 6.7's miserable performance on the hills. Rumble in the Rockies: Are These the Most Evenly Matched HD Trucks Ever? - PickupTrucks.com News

Originally Posted by dkf
Either way I wouldn't buy a GM product.
I would. It has a better warranty and better performance. I don't say this lightly. If you look at my posts here, I'm usually defending Fords quite vehemently but I can't defend these new ones. And I can't defend Ford's lack of commitment to back their product like their competition does. They expect me to pay at least $50,000 for a brand new truck with brand new unproven engines with less warranty coverage than their competition offers?! And then when you consider the reliability of their trucks for the past few years? (We all know the horror stories.) Nope! I'm not gonna sign on for this deal.

Originally Posted by dkf
I find GM's recent IPO (which is being hyped up) hilarious. Makes me wonder how many people that were former GM stockholders and got shafted will go out and buy more GM stock. If you know anyone who fits the description in the previous sentence send me their contact info. I have a couple surplus bridges and a large amount of beautiful oceanfront property for sale in Arizona.
Could not AGREE with you more on this! I've been saying the same thing! People have damn short memories. I might would buy a truck from them (since we already know the government isn't gonna let them go out of business, so I know my warranty will be covered), but certainly not any of their stock! So, sorry, you won't be selling me any of your "surplus bridges and a large amount of beautiful oceanfront property for sale in Arizona".
Regards, Eric

Old 11-22-2010, 07:57 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd hardly call the Ford's performance "miserable"...it's still pretty darned impressive as far as I'm concerned, even if it didn't get to the tunnel as quickly as the Silverado did.

Here's A GM marketing video of the "challenge". Notice who invited whom to take part. It's pretty clear that GM invited pickuptrucks.com and Diesel Power mag to the test. While that doesn't change the results, I think it helps to put things into perspective.

YouTube - Rumble in the Rockies Part 1: The Uphill Challenge

Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
they put the chevy in tow mode , but not the ford??
traction control IS NOT tow mode. traction control is a differential locker.
if they put the ford in tow mode instead of traction control, it would have done much better.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:00 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I would. It has a better warranty and better performance. I don't say this lightly. If you look at my posts here, I'm usually defending Fords quite vehemently but I can't defend these new ones. And I can't defend Ford's lack of commitment to back their product like their competition does. They expect me to pay at least $50,000 for a brand new truck with brand new unproven engines with less warranty coverage than their competition offers?! And then when you consider the reliability of their trucks for the past few years? (We all know the horror stories.) Nope! I'm not gonna sign on for this deal.
Warrenty is something I really do not think about much or put much faith in. If warrenty is concern and you plan to keep the vehicle long term a factory extended warrenty is worth looking at. Bumper to bumper warrenty is the same, rust protection warrenty is better on the Ford, and the powertrain warrenty is better on the GM. Ford has been doing the 5/100k warrenty on the past couple PSD, will see if the warrenty is altered on the 6.7l. For my use I run out of warrenty duration before I hit the mileage. GM builds a faster truck, it has been like that for a lot of years. That is nothing new for 2011.

It also means something to me that the warrenty on my vehicle is not on the back of the US taxpayer.

Again, if this "contest" doesn't accurately reflect the true performance of the 6.7 Ford, then they need to speak-up about it. If they remain silent, well then that tells me that the test DOES accurately reflect the 6.7's miserable performance on the hills. Rumble in the Rockies: Are These the Most Evenly Matched HD Trucks Ever? - PickupTrucks.com News
I can't speak for Ford. I think saying the test is accurate just because Ford is not challenging the results is a poor assumption. Maybe Ford wants to take the high road or maybe they want to keep their focus on keeping the company going, who knows.

they put the chevy in tow mode , but not the ford??
traction control IS NOT tow mode. traction control is a differential locker.
if they put the ford in tow mode instead of traction control, it would have done much better.
I'm not familer with exactley how the new 2011 traction control system entails however I know how past Ford traction control systems function. They have always limited power somewhat with past traction control systems, which is somewhat common for other manufacturers as well.

Here's A GM marketing video of the "challenge". Notice who invited whom to take part. It's pretty clear that GM invited pickuptrucks.com and Diesel Power mag to the test. While that doesn't change the results, I think it helps to put things into perspective.
After seeing that video I must say I am somewhat suspect. I have noticed all too many times in the past the company pushing or doing the tests always comes out the winner.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
the 2011 ford traction control on the powerstroke diesel pops up on the screen and you determine if it is in normal drive, diff lock, or four wheel diff lock.
tow mode is a completely different animal.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Each truck was run up the grade in Tow/Haul mode starting in four-wheel drive for max traction in the cold conditions and switching to two-wheel drive at approximately 30 mph. The fastest time was used for the comparison.
It was in Tow/Haul mode. From the video, it sounded like the engine's revs shot up, dropped down then picked back up again. The person mentioned it was the traction control. Not that the truck was in traction control mode and not Tow/Haul.

The "other" article was the Diesel Power article. It had no mention of him being fired, just that he was an ex-towing/hauling development person for Ford.

I defend Ford as much as I possibly can, but even I will admit that it looks like Ford finally lost this round when it comes to performance. The 6.7 is a great engine, is it the end-all to performance? Apparently not. I don't get why it's so hard for some Ford guys to admit it. They're both great trucks, but the Chevy won. There is nothing else to it. Both PickupTrucks.com and Diesel Power said Chevy had to play by their rules. You can't just put that and print and lie about it. You can as cynical as you want about the magazines "selling" their reviews, but I'm not buying it. You may have also forgotten about the recent PickupTrucks.com comparing basic work trucks, and they crowned the F-150 the best? Or how about the 2007 Shootout where they liked both the F-250 and the F-450?

Quick Reply: Battle of the Heavy Duties: Chevrolet vs. Ford