6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tonneau Covers Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonneau Covers Part 2

I read the previous thread on recommendations for tonneau covers but didn't come away with a solid answer. I use my truck during hunting season to drive up to the hunting lodge with all 4 seats occupied. Therefore, all of our gear and luggage needs to sit in the truck bed and stay dry.

I would love to have a cap or tonneau one piece hard cover, but I need to be able to have access to the full bed for the other activities I use the truck for. Rather that resorting to plastic bags, are there tonneau covers available that do not leak?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Sportscraft
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one piece fiberglass covers can be removed, its just not something you could do mid trip. Usually you just release the gas struts and then angle it up and it slips out of the brackets ( 2 person job). My guess they would be the most weather tight, but not the best if you want to use your be without planning ahead. I'm hoping to get a roll top cover, but their not cheap.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Sportscraft
The one piece fiberglass covers can be removed, its just not something you could do mid trip. Usually you just release the gas struts and then angle it up and it slips out of the brackets ( 2 person job). My guess they would be the most weather tight, but not the best if you want to use your be without planning ahead. I'm hoping to get a roll top cover, but their not cheap.
I didn't realize they came off that way. Would work if my wife was a bit taller Can't see her at 5'2" being able to handle a fiberglass top removal.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:13 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had an ARE fiberglass cover on my 06 and I can tell you that your wife would have to be much taller and quite the hoss to help remove that. My wife is 5'6" and very athletic and it wasn't something that she could really handle.

When I ordered the 11 I figured I would give the factory tonneau cover option a try especially since it was only slightly more than $300. It turned out to be basically an off the shelf Truxedo cover. I have not acquired the tailgate seal kit for it yet, but otherwise it is as weatherproof as my ARE was. It also rolls up in less than 30 seconds with very little effort. Just about any of the soft tonneau covers can be made waterproof with a little bit of effort.

Ultimately I would rather have my ARE, but a soft cover is more convenient with my fifth wheel camper and more easily allows the truck to be used as a truck when I need it to be.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Thanks for the comments 720Deere. That brings up another question. I would suspect any of the soft covers can be cut through pretty easily. Not an ideal situation when you have a few thousand dollars worth of rifles under it. Anyone what the hard covers like the BakFlip. Are they able to secure the load?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:49 PM
tross
New User
I ordered the BakFlip CS for mine. I don't have it installed yet but got it because like you I needed dry secure storage for carrying around tools that I could also get completely out of the way for hauling dirtbikes. The ladder rack will allow me to haul my 14' kayaks with my tag-along trailer and they are supposed to be easily removable. According to other posts I read it stays very dry and the tailgate has to be opened in order to open the tonneau, so the locking tailgate/cover will add to the "out of sight out of mind". However, keep in mind that any of these locks will only really keep honest people honest.

-Tim

Old 11-18-2010, 05:42 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Originally Posted by Marauder92V
I read the previous thread on recommendations for tonneau covers but didn't come away with a solid answer. I use my truck during hunting season to drive up to the hunting lodge with all 4 seats occupied. Therefore, all of our gear and luggage needs to sit in the truck bed and stay dry.

I would love to have a cap or tonneau one piece hard cover, but I need to be able to have access to the full bed for the other activities I use the truck for. Rather that resorting to plastic bags, are there tonneau covers available that do not leak?
I have the truxedo....holds water and is pretty cheap, i don't recommend it....I used to have the roll n lock on a previous truck, that was nice.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
As you can see by the number of posts, I am a .

I was originally worried that someone could cut through the Rugged Cover Tri-Fold. It was on a '05 F-150.

Someone did break into my truck (punching the lock out of the driver side door), while I was having dinner with clients, and stole a new Dell Laptop with many dollars worth of software loaded on it (Primavera P3 is $5K alone).

What I learned is that the thing about locks and covers is that it will only keep honest people honest no matter what cover/topper/cap/door lock/ alarm/ etc. you have. I am of the opinion that out of sight - out of mind has merit and have never had an issue with anyone trying to see (or steal) what was under the cover.

I would recommend a Trifold soft cover because it can be easily be removed by 1 person and can be folded up to the cab for larger/taller loads.

I bought a Tonneau Pro (Trifold) for the current '11 SD and it is not the same quality as the Rugged Cover. I wouldn't buy a "hard" cover because I haul a John Deere lawn tractor, golf cart, mulch, sand, rocks, etc and today a Go-Cart.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trifold

I put an Extang Trifold on mine and am very pleased with it. I ran it through the car wash and it barely leaked. No leaks in the rain, even on the Highway. No leaks in the last snow. I intentionally let the snow melt to look for leaks- none. I sealed my tailgagte with a kit from Extang. It goes on and off with two thumg screws toward the front - no tools required. With my tailgate locked I have secure storage. Also you can drive with it in the open position.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 PM
fldave
Junior User

I like the security of the retractable tonneau. I had a Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit retractable on an F150, but now I have one made by TruckCovers USA, it looks to be of better construction and very steardy. They don't claim to be fully waterproof, but it's been great so far. It can withstand 500 pounds of weight, or so they claim on the website.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 PM
cford716
Elder User
I have the DiamondBack cover. http://www.diamondbackcovers.com
I have the SE with the Line-X coating. It has been 99% watertight, just a little water in the corners occasionally in heavy rain. Nice because you can carry things on top of the cover or fold the back half open if you have something large. The whole cover can be removed by 1 person. Comes off in 3 pieces, the center piece is held by 4 clamps and the 2 end covers slide into hinges, Very well constructed, especially with the Line-X. Haven't figured out how to add pictures yet.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:54 PM
tbaker00
Senior User
I always tie a rope to stuff i put in the far back under a tonneau cover that way i dont have to move around to the side of the truck to move stuff. I usually put the ice chest way back there. With a sturdy rope tie one end to a handle and the other to the tie down loop on the truck. Then once all the easy stuff is unloaded just pull the rope and out comes the rest!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

More info please

Originally Posted by cford716
I have the DiamondBack cover. http://www.diamondbackcovers.com
I have the SE with the Line-X coating. It has been 99% watertight, just a little water in the corners occasionally in heavy rain. Nice because you can carry things on top of the cover or fold the back half open if you have something large. The whole cover can be removed by 1 person. Comes off in 3 pieces, the center piece is held by 4 clamps and the 2 end covers slide into hinges, Very well constructed, especially with the Line-X. Haven't figured out how to add pictures yet.
Thanks for sharing the link. From there website, it looks like it clam shells on the front and the rear. In order to get access to the whole bed, do you need to remove it?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:08 AM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Thanks for sharing the link. From there website, it looks like it clam shells on the front and the rear. In order to get access to the whole bed, do you need to remove it?
If you need to use the whole bed for something that will not fit under the cover, yes, you have to remove it. It is pretty easy to remove. The 2 halves slide out the hinges and 4 clamps hold the center support. Very easy with 2 people, just because of the bulk, but is also no problem for 1 person.

1 major reason that I chose this over other covers was the fact that you can load things on top of it. My last truck had a cap, which was filled on some trips we took. However, I didn't like the look. Now I just strap a roof top carrier on the cover when I need extra space. I was even able to still open the rear clam shell with the carrier on.

Depends on what you do. If you usually fit things under the cover, and occasionally carry larger things, this would work. If you want full access a lot of the time, then would suggest the rolltop, or sectional hard foldups, it may get old bolting and unbolting this. But I don't think you will top the construction of the Diamondback anywhere.

If you do go with Diamondback order thru them directly, it was the cheapest even after the freight charge. Installation is simple. They also are very quick to respond to any emailed questions. Customer service was A+++.

Also, I went with DiamondBack-X SE, which has the Line-X coating. Had a truck box before and hated having to polish it, so I really didn't want to have to do an entire cover. Plus I liked the look of the black. I guess if you really wanted it custom you take it your local Line-X and have it any color you wanted. Lots of options.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

I do like the idea of being able to place stuff on top. I was amazed to see on the HD version they actually have ATVs on top! Not sure I am that daring, but it is good to know that it can handle the weight.

The problem I have is I would like to see them in person before I bought one. I have been looking for them (tonneaus) in parking lots and all I see is a lot of soft covers and the occassional fiberglass one.

Their website points to a dealer within 50 miles of me. I went to their website and all I found was ARC stuff! I will give them a call and check it out.

I don't mind unbolting unless it is a 30 minute job everytime. Also, where it bolts, would I be wearing out the truck rail if I take it on and off a bunch of times?

Quick Reply: Tonneau Covers Part 2