6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tonneau Covers Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RaiderAZ
I put a BakFlip on my 2011. Best cover I ever had, its keeps water out and acts as a protector for the back window.
I can't tell for sure, but, does the bakflip rest against the rear window or the back of the cab when it's folded up?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:16 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it looks like it does. If the fact that they're spamming old threads wasn't enough to turn me off, that fold-up will do the trick. I often need to carry loads that are just barely above the level of the bedrails. Too tall to leave the cover on, but not tall enough to restrict my view through the rear window. If I had one of these covers, my view would be completely restricted when carrying those loads. No bueno.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
it looks like it does. If the fact that they're spamming old threads wasn't enough to turn me off, that fold-up will do the trick. I often need to carry loads that are just barely above the level of the bedrails. Too tall to leave the cover on, but not tall enough to restrict my view through the rear window. If I had one of these covers, my view would be completely restricted when carrying those loads. No bueno.
Just watched the video on their website. I should do my research b4 I ask. Regardless, they do have a support rod to hold the cover in place when flipped up. If you use it. We all get in a hurry and do stupid things that we wish we didn't. I'm not sure I would like my rear window being blocked either. Not for the visibility factor as much as for being able to keep an eye on what's in the bed of the truck.

I had an Access roll-up soft top I used on two trucks. It worked for my needs. Still looking tho.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM
jmaimin
Former Vendor
The BakFlip does not block your view insofar as you only need to drive with the cover in the full upright position when you're transporting something large like a fridge or desk, at which point your view is blocked anyway.

The rest of the time you can drive with the cover in incrementally open positions, such as three panels folded forward, or just two as an example. At any such time, none of your rear view is blocked at all.

The fact is that it's the only hard tonneau that you never need to remove and that gives you full access at those times when you need it - and believe me, those times pop up more frequently than you can imagine.

To compare a floppy vinyl cover like a truxedo to a superb OEM Ford cover like the BakFlip is like comparing a Yugo to a BMW.

I guess more than temporarily blocking your rear view at times when it would be locked anyway, you should ask yourself if security, functionality and solid OEM styling is important as well.

WOuld you use a piece of vinyl as your front door on your home? I wouldn't. To be honest, I find any vinyl cover the cheap alternative that is designed to keep snow and rain out of the bed, but cannot and should not be compared to any solid, hard tonneau cover. Anything that flaps around in the wind and makes your truck look like your showing up to the prom in a pair of sneakers just isn't my thing. What I will do is tell you the truth, at least from my perspective, and not try to pull the wool over your eyes with the absolute nonsense that I have just read above!

Just visit facebook.com/bakflip if you really want to know the truth from a cross section of thousands of folks from all over the world. Don't take it from me, I'm just one of thousands that'll tell you the same thing.

Comparing a Truxedo or Access rag top to a BakFlip cover is tantamount to comparing a plastic bag to a brief case and I defy anyone to prove me wrong with facts.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Challenges of buying the right one...

There are a few of these threads up (thank to the BackFlip people who resurfaced them). I was going through the same challenges of trying to figure out what to buy back in late November and into December. A lot depends on intended usage.

I hunt a lot and having a secured and DRY place for my hunting equipment was high on my list. Also wanted the ability to remove or move it out of the way when I needed to repurpose the truck.

What I found is that nothing out there is perfect. I elected to go with the Diamondback because it offered security, appears to be dry (we'll see when the Spring monsoons hit) and I should be able to get the hardware off within a reasonable amount of time.

Both of the doors can be removed, leaving just the center attachment point. The center attachment point is held on by 4 C clamps. In theory, if I mark the position of the center attachment point, I should be able to remove everything in less than 10 minutes. The repurposing of my truck usually involves me hauling tons of yard waster to the recycling depot. Another benefit is that the cover can hold up to 1,400 pounds. Which makes it great for me on those occassional lumber runs. Here are some pictures:

P.S. I AM NOT PAID BY DIAMONDBACK OR ANYONE FOR THIS TESTIMONIAL

Old 01-11-2011, 12:54 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jmaimin
The BakFlip does not block your view insofar as you only need to drive with the cover in the full upright position when you're transporting something large like a fridge or desk, at which point your view is blocked anyway.

The rest of the time you can drive with the cover in incrementally open positions, such as three panels folded forward, or just two as an example. At any such time, none of your rear view is blocked at all.

The fact is that it's the only hard tonneau that you never need to remove and that gives you full access at those times when you need it - and believe me, those times pop up more frequently than you can imagine.

To compare a floppy vinyl cover like a truxedo to a superb OEM Ford cover like the BakFlip is like comparing a Yugo to a BMW.

I guess more than temporarily blocking your rear view at times when it would be locked anyway, you should ask yourself if security, functionality and solid OEM styling is important as well.

WOuld you use a piece of vinyl as your front door on your home? I wouldn't. To be honest, I find any vinyl cover the cheap alternative that is designed to keep snow and rain out of the bed, but cannot and should not be compared to any solid, hard tonneau cover. Anything that flaps around in the wind and makes your truck look like your showing up to the prom in a pair of sneakers just isn't my thing. What I will do is tell you the truth, at least from my perspective, and not try to pull the wool over your eyes with the absolute nonsense that I have just read above!

Just visit facebook.com/bakflip if you really want to know the truth from a cross section of thousands of folks from all over the world. Don't take it from me, I'm just one of thousands that'll tell you the same thing.

Comparing a Truxedo or Access rag top to a BakFlip cover is tantamount to comparing a plastic bag to a brief case and I defy anyone to prove me wrong with facts.
If anyone ever asks why I will never buy a Backflip, I will refer them to this post.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:39 PM
cford716
Elder User
I also have the Diamondback, it gets my vote.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:44 PM
amadas350
Senior User
i have had a few friends that have been very satisfied with their roll n lock. from what i saw, they were water proof, easily opened, and pretty safe.

few other post on here say they were happy with theirs also.

they were so happy with them, that when i go to get a bed cover, that is what i'll get.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:02 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jmaimin

Easy big fella! Everybody's got different wants, needs, and desires. Not to mention available funds. If your product doesn't meet one or more of those criteria, don't get offended and beat up the competition. That's a big turn off. Your opinion and loyalty are duly noted. Next?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:50 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Pics of my Retrax

Old 01-11-2011, 04:58 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Looks real good!

Wow, so many choices. I like the clean look of the bedrug too. Haven't ever seen one in person. Can't decide which option I like best yet.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:48 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
does the retrax keep out the water? any load support rating?

Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 AM
RaiderAZ
Freshman User
The Bakflip does rest against the window with foam pads. I transport a Polaris side by side ranger with a wench in front. The bakflip allows me to put it in back of the truck and still keep the cover on. Then be able to lock it up when out playing. I must say the cover has protected the back window several times by taking the bang which would of busted the window out of the truck. When it is up it does block your view and you have to use your side mirrors to see behind you. I am very happy with the cover and looks great on the truck.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 AM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
does the retrax keep out the water? any load support rating?

Yes everything stays dry, I'm amazed. With the bedrug in place it acts as a seal and keeps the dust out also. They compliment each other.

For me this is the perfect setup. The retrax moves our of the way and no storage needed if you have to haul taller items,... and the bed rug is awesome.When I went deer hunting I got blood and Ice all ocer the rug. I thought this is gonna sux. So I went to a spray wash and sprayed everything out. I thought the weight of the water would be aweful and take forever to dry. Just the opposite...NO water retention and it was dry within 2 hours ..completely!! Then my next worry was the wood I had to haul last week. About a 1/4 cord. I was worried the saw dust and bark would stick to the carpet and a pain to get out. AGAIN, not true. Used broom then a leaf blower..looks brand new.

AWESOME products I will always be a retrax owner and a bedrug.

Shane

Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted my Extang Trifold early on in this thread. I had never shopped for one and was looking at something else when I bought it. It is good quality, but I wish I would have put more thought into it. If I had it to do over I would have bought one that gave me easy access to the front of the bed.

Quick Reply: Tonneau Covers Part 2