Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Exhaust ticket

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 PM
TP83
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust ticket

I got an exhaust ticket/noise pollution ticket yesterday because the cop said my truck was too loud. Its pretty dumb considering every other diesel in town is running a straight pipe. A buddy of mine said that in california the turbo is considered a muffler and if i don't have a cat i do not need one. Is there any link to back this up? Also is there anyone that makes a muffler that is basically a shell with no restriction? Has anyone had to deal with this before? I know my buddy got pulled over for when he had a stack but all he did was relocate it out the side. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There should be a sticker under the hood with emissions info regarding the Cat and other stuff. Someone else hopefully can chime in on this. MBRP and others make straight thru style mufflers.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Ak Ford Man
Senior User
Originally Posted by TP83
I got an exhaust ticket/noise pollution ticket yesterday because the cop said my truck was too loud. Its pretty dumb considering every other diesel in town is running a straight pipe. A buddy of mine said that in california the turbo is considered a muffler and if i don't have a cat i do not need one. Is there any link to back this up? Also is there anyone that makes a muffler that is basically a shell with no restriction? Has anyone had to deal with this before? I know my buddy got pulled over for when he had a stack but all he did was relocate it out the side. Thanks.
I think The original Cherry Bombs are just a hollow shell. I have a hollow shell on my 1980 F-150.

That's one thing I like about AK. If I want, I can have headers, and nothing else. Don't even need pipes going back.. No emission laws here.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Fight the ticket. It's a CS cite.

Make them prove it's too loud. They have to use a decible meter at a certain angle to the exhaust, at a certain distance, and the meter has to has to show above a certain level.

I know my Lightning with no cats, headers, and a Bassani muffler was too loud, but no way do I believe a 7.3L can be too loud. I've just never really heard one that was loud at all, even at the dragstrip. Now a properly modified Cummins could probably trip the meter high enough, but not a 7.3L.

As for you truck, did it come with a 4R100 or a ZF6?

4R100 = From the factory, no cats
ZF6 = From the factory, it came with cats

Taylor, check out my emissions sticker thread here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ml#post9525495

Stewart

Old 11-18-2010, 01:44 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A. Dude you live in Woodside. They give tickets if you fart too loud!

B. I have "summit" brand exhaust system and it came with a "high flow" muffler that i have on it and it sounds good.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Although the law in some states may say that a turbo is a "muffler device", the issue is the fact that the truck originally came equipped with an actual muffler. The law always falls back on what it was stock. Same goes for the cat.

So if you're without a muffler at all (straight pipe only), you could fight it, but don't plan on winning. And don't plan on the turbo excuse to work either. If you do have a muffler, then by all means fight it to the death.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:19 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Stewarts retired PD so ill back him on saying they have to PROVE it is too loud fir them ti give you a ticket.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:22 PM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Maybe this will help.
The federal tampering prohibition is contained in section 203(a)(3) of the Clean Air Act (Act), 42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3). Section 203(a)(3)(A) of the Act prohibits any person from removing or rendering inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in any motor vehicle in compliance with regulations under Title II of the Act (i.e., regulations requiring certification that vehicles meet federal emissions standards). The maximum civil penalty for a violation of this section by a manufacturer or dealer is $25,000; for any other person, $2,500. Accordingly, any change from the original certified configuration of a vehicle or engine, or the manufacture or sale of a non-original equipment aftermarket part or system could be considered a violation of section 203(a)(3) of the Act. This would include modifications to the fuel delivery system.

Just FYI. Jim

Old 11-18-2010, 04:51 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Fortunatley the jerk of a cop didnt say anything about emissions...

Old 11-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin
Stewarts retired PD so ill back him on saying they have to PROVE it is too loud fir them ti give you a ticket.
I didn't mean to imply the police officer has prove it before he can write a citation.

By my saying for "them" to prove it, I meant for the OP to fight the ticket and make them prove that it's too loud.

As an officer, we were taught that, other than grossly overdone exhausts that are so loud that they remove all doubt, everything else should be considered borderline and used only for the purpose of initiating a traffic stop. The officer could then follow up with a cite for altering the stock emissions setup in a manner not compliant with California Vehicle Code, therby giving a "break" for the loud exhaust.

Think about it, forcing a person to put the exhaust back so it complies with CVC would also take care of the "excess" noise.

I've yet to hear a 7.3 that would fall into the grossly overdone category. Not saying they don't exist, just haven't heard one yet. Maybe I should see if I could make mine fall into that category!

I still think it's a CS cite.

Stewart

Old 11-18-2010, 07:57 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to talk my way out of one the other night. Got pulled over because I passed a cop on a two lane going up a hill. He pulled me right over and said it was because it was too loud. Looked under my truck and of course its straight piped. I told him that the state has no laws on diesel mufflers or anything like that. I was really nice to him and he was reasonable with me. He called someone and came back and said he would let me go with a warning and that "even though my truck is louder than fiver Harleys, its wicked sick"

Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 PM
TP83
Senior User
Thanks for the advice. I am going to fight it and see what happens. I saw that i would have to be over 93 db for it to be to loud. Its a 4r100 and did not come with a cat from the factory so i lucked out there. What exactly is a CS cite? I know i still have to look up more information before i fight it.

It was actually chico police that wrote the ticket. He didn't say anything about smog because there wasn't any smoke.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:48 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd fight it. Its a diesel for crying out loud.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:58 PM
N4TECguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by big poppa
I'd fight it. Its a diesel for crying out loud.
You missed the part about him living in CA. When they find out its a diesel they're gonna stone him

Old 11-18-2010, 09:01 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
CA. V.C. 27151 No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5(commencing with Section 27200) of this chapter. No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

In CA the aftermarket exhaust must be CARB certified for use on your truck. Also not many shops will pass your truck when smog time comes around. Its a losing battle in this state just pay the ticket and move on. My last Noise ticket was only 120.00 including proving to the judge I had the issue fixed.

Quick Reply: Exhaust ticket