Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injector cup

Could a cracked injector cup cause coolant to get in the oil

Old 11-18-2010, 11:01 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Not usually. The most common thing that allows coolant in the oil is the oil cooler. It is a pretty easy fix.

Here are the parts from Diesel O-Rings.com there is also a PDF on how to do it there.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:43 AM
grizzly11
Senior User
Ok but a leaking oil cooler would result in oil in the coolant not coolant in the oil? it was burning the coolant up and then I checked the oil and it looked creamy that's when I began to investigate

Old 11-18-2010, 01:36 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by grizzly11
Ok but a leaking oil cooler would result in oil in the coolant not coolant in the oil? it was burning the coolant up and then I checked the oil and it looked creamy that's when I began to investigate
Not all the time. The coolant stays pressurized longer than the oil once the engine is shut down. Depending on your oil pressure the coolant pressure may be higher at idle. It may be just enough to cause this.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:12 PM
grizzly11
Senior User
Ok I will look into it since the heads are off

Old 11-20-2010, 01:08 AM
01 super
Freshman User
Does anyone have a break down of what the oil cooler looks like? What is there to re build on them? How does it function? All I see is a tube running down the side of the engine, does it use coolant to cool the oil?

Old 11-20-2010, 10:36 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by 01 super
Does anyone have a break down of what the oil cooler looks like? What is there to re build on them? How does it function? All I see is a tube running down the side of the engine, does it use coolant to cool the oil?
Here is a breakdown of the cooler. It does use coolant to cool down the oil. If you look at the gaskets, you can see the two different ports for oil and coolant. The tube section has multiple tubes running through it like a radiator that separate the coolant and the oil.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:13 AM
grizzly11
Senior User
i found the paper from the dealer and it said they did a coolant check and found combustible gases in coolant. after i took passenger side head off the front piston was ghost white compared to all the other ones. The only reason im ruling the cooler out is that you would be fighting the oil system and the air is got to go back through the system to do so and the piston kinda numbered out the cooler i will fix it if it does not fix the problem

Old 11-20-2010, 12:29 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by grizzly11
i found the paper from the dealer and it said they did a coolant check and found combustible gases in coolant. after i took passenger side head off the front piston was ghost white compared to all the other ones. The only reason im ruling the cooler out is that you would be fighting the oil system and the air is got to go back through the system to do so and the piston kinda numbered out the cooler i will fix it if it does not fix the problem
Yeah, with what you are saying, I doubt yours is a cooler issue. I didn't know you had the heads off at first.