1989 F-350 few different ?'s - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

1989 F-350 few different ?'s

Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Fordrules
New User
Fordrules is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile 1989 F-350 few different ?'s

Ok guys here is story.... I have a '89 f-350 and somebody took out the original EFI engine and put a carb 351. I have no idea if its a 351c,w, or m how would i find out what 351 i have and what tranny i have.

Next question is somebody tried to steal it by busting the ignition so now i have to start it with plyers by sliding the cable on the top of the steering colume but i cant get power to my accessories that way and I dont know the wireing to wire in a on switch and push button start or even if i can or should i just get a new steering colume?

Next ?. will a c-6 tranny bolt to a 351? How much can i sell a 351 that needs a rear main seal? Runs strong but has a internitent fuel pump failure. Is that possible for the mechanical fuel pump to not pump fuel intermittantly?

and Should i put a efi460/c6 combo that was already in the truck or should i just put a carb 460/c6 the wireing is all messed up and i would really have no idea on where to start.....
Thank yall in advance for the replys. I will update as i get responses.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:48 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
jokerforever is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jokerforever is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Okay, in order...

1. Post a pic of the engine, and the transmission pan. We can tell you what it is. If not, search the web. There are hundreds of pics you can use to id what you have.

2. If it was me I'd run to a junkyard and pull another column. It might not be the cheapest (they don’t cost that much, but more than a toggle switch) or easiest way but it would be the safest.

3. Yes and no, a C6 will fit behind a 351. 351w/c use a SBF bellhousing. 351m/400 use a BBF (429/460) bellhousing. A C6 has an integrated bellhousing so you have to start out with a trans to match your block. For the fuel problems, mechanical fuel pumps are cheap--trouble shoot by replacement. It seems to me I always end up paying between $50-150 for a good rebuildable Ford V8 engine core. For a running but tired 351w I would think $75-100 would be fair, a 351c maybe $75-150, and for a 351m I wouldn't give more than $50-75 at best.

4. I always say use the biggest engine possible. If the truck is already set up for a big block then I say use it! There is no replacement for displacement. If your state will let you get away with it rip off the EFI and use a carb. You'll have a ton more power over the factory EFI. Just remember you'll have to change your heads or get adapters from Price Motorsports.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.