Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Chat

Old 11-16-2010, 03:13 PM
dr1
Senior User
dr1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chat

I'm attempting to start a dedicated 'Automotive Enthusiast' chat network. I have plenty of ideas on how to accomplish things and work out valid concerns people have. But I need interested people to let me know their thoughts.

I've installed a simple web chat client to show how easy it could be to get on and use. Let me know what you think.

http://www.zerotwosixty.net/irc/fte

Apologies in advance if this isn't allowed! I would post in General Chat, but it will be hard to get opinions it no one sees.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
Hitokori is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i guess its allowed as long as you arent trying to make money off of it

Old 11-16-2010, 04:04 PM
lew52
Postmaster
lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.
We allready have a couple of general chat fourms on this site , what have you done to your truck today & show off your pre 97 trucks , thats where all the B-S ers hang out LOL....Lew

Old 11-17-2010, 12:45 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
skyfox10 has a very good reputation on FTE.skyfox10 has a very good reputation on FTE.skyfox10 has a very good reputation on FTE.skyfox10 has a very good reputation on FTE.
an IRC chat room might be kinda cool. Being able to talk in real time. Although I'm pretty satisfied with the forum method.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 PM
dr1
Senior User
Definately no money to be made here. And I'm glad someone thinks its a good idea.

I outlined my reasons for wanting to do this here: http://www.zerotwosixty.net/irc/goal.html

Long winded and not well formulated thoughts, but thats my basic ideas. (My attempt to be generic in my examples of usage failed pretty bad lol)

If you find the idea interesting, click the link in the first post. Stick around for a few. Minimize the window and come back later if no one is on at the moment. A handful of people did try it out but never stayed long enough to see each other.

I've only shared the link with a couple forums. I'm not much of a salesman or a spammer, plus I want some initial opinions from people who try it out on ways it could be more easy to use. IRC is a fairly featureful chat protocol, so I've tried to tone the web client down to just provide whats needed.

A little explination though, feel free to change the 'Guest' username to your forum name (minus any SPACES though), or whatever you wish. Ignore the password prompt, it can be used if you chose to 'register' your name on the chat server. I prefixed the username with [fte], which your free to remove but I will explain why its helpful to me anyways. After it signs on your dropped into 2 chat rooms. #fte & #zts. You can see the 2 tabs on the bottom of the screen and switch between them. But this was so as I invited more people from various places, I could tell where they came in from, and by also adding them to a common room it would be more likely to find active people.
As of now though, anyone who comes in from here exlusively makes up that list of "active people". So naturally if you dont stick around you will never see anyone

The network will be up for quite some time even if it doesn't catch on, so feel free. I'm 'dr1' on the chat as well, I stay signed on but whether or not I'm actually there is a toss up.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:36 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
skyfox10 has a very good reputation on FTE.skyfox10 has a very good reputation on FTE.skyfox10 has a very good reputation on FTE.skyfox10 has a very good reputation on FTE.
<-- goes to dig out his old IRC client software...

Old 11-18-2010, 07:11 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
I'm getting an error stating that there is a Flash policy problem when using the link... Also, is it possible to connect directly with IRC software?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 PM
dr1
Senior User
Yes absolutely, irc.zerotwosixty.net : 6667

I get the flash policy error sometimes too, and I know what its related too, but I havent tracked down why its happening yet. Overloaded server on that side perhaps. I have found that simply refreshing the page usually made it go away.

*Edit:
Hopefully I've eliminated that error. If thats not working still let me know.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:01 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
got on the chat tonight. It's kinda cool being able to talk in real time. You can talk about a lot more. Great for general conversation or troubleshooting a problem in minutes rather than hours.

Would be cool to see some more members on there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.