6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Potentially FATAL Braking Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:48 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my point was that you need to take it in to the dealer if it's not working like it does for the rest of us. If you had a dome light that didn't come on properly, I'd tell you the same thing.

I'm sorry if you took it as snarky, that wasn't my point. take it in, something is wrong.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:52 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
to further clarify... there have been LOTS of threads about this. Everything from "I can't find the button!" to "it's not a real jake brake" to others who just feel like it should work better.

The way several of us have described it working seems to tbe the way it is intended to work. If yours isn't doing that, then take it in. If it *is* but you want more... then get an upgrade.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 AM
AlexWV
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anymore clarifications coming or should I go to the dealer now?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:31 PM
mdmasters
New User
Originally Posted by porthole
In my job we alter that slightly - "never ask the question you might not like the answer too"
The other choice I like is, "If you do not want to know the answer, don't ask the question"

Old 11-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
how does the current one differ from the 08-10 models? (talking turbo brake right?)

Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 6.4 did not offer turbo braking. The turbo can only be used for braking if it is VGT or in rare cases like the 7.3 it has a warm-up valve that can be used for exhaust braking.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
now I know

Old 11-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
so the 08-10 models had no engine braking or whatever it may be called?

Old 11-17-2010, 08:26 PM
sandmanf250
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
braking

gee,s don't you guys now how to drive, i don't care if you are driving a duramx,with an allison or a with ford with a torqueshift or a dodge if you do it right they all work good.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:03 AM
mikeputc
Freshman User
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
Both of those are obviously at high altitudes. Was that one of GM's requirements?
I chose to test the trucks in Colorado, too. I have memories of Eisenhower Pass from when I was a kid in my parents' Pace Arrow motorhome. We couldn't make it over the mountain because the engine vapor locked. A tow truck had to pull us to the other side. When I think of a tough grade, Eisenhower is the place to go in my mind.

Pikes Peak came up because the elevation change is larger.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Potential braking problems? Look at everyone still using mild steel for brake lines that rust and blow out totally losing all braking at any given moment. That is what I call a safety issue! Stainless brake lines should be MANDATORY in all vehicles!

Old 11-19-2010, 07:58 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
The term Jake brake and Exhaust brake can't not be used to describe the same thing. The 6.7 uses a good turbo exhaust brake NOT a mechanical lifter device like a Jake brake.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
the only thing dangerous about the brakes is the stupid ABS system. but all the makes have a similar dangerous system. at high speeds I can see the benefit to ABS for an inexperienced driver. the problem is with current ABS systems braking force is reduced to that of the LEAST gripping tire. so that means if you have one tire or just one side of the truck on an ICY patch the whole truck is essentially on ice. I have nearly wrecked a couple times over the years just because of ABS. I came into the chili's parking lot a little faster than I should have, it hadn't snowed in a few days but there was a patch of ice that both my right tires were on, the lefts were on dry pavement, I hit the brakes pulling into the parking stall and my brakes were not there. I nearly jumpped the curb and took out some scrubs.

next time you get a chance do a little practice if you live in colder climates do it on an icy or snow packed road. in the south mud will probably work. at a speed of about 25mph try to lock the brakes and activate the ABS, you will know and hear it when you do. next let off the brakes and carefully add braking pressure and control it with your foot, keep doing this until you finally activate the ABS, You will be AMAZED at how much faster you can stop the truck manually controlling the brake pedal. its like the difference between having brakes and not. I think at speeds below 25mph ABS should cutt off, that way if you have one or 2 tires that will grip you can use those to slow you down.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:52 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
That's quite the inaccurate description of ABS.
I have worked on a lot of vehicles with ABS and been to a lot of accidents and never heard the accident was caused by the ABS.

Granted, ABS does behave different then regular brakes on gravel snow and ice, but it is not a design deficiency.
I'll take ABS any day over standard brakes

Old 11-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I too would rather have standard brakes and not ABS.

Quick Reply: Potentially FATAL Braking Issue