6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

EZ Down tailgate assist

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:34 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by P.I.T.S.
I bought the one from ETrailer.com and they told me the model number DZ 43202 was the one I needed even though it says on the package for Ford F250/F350 '08-'10, but I was in the same boat. No way it would close with the rubber bumper there. Nothing in the instructions about the bumper. I could see through the gap that that bumper didn't even touch the metal standoff on the tailgate so I don't think angthing is adversly affected so I just pulled off the bumper. With the tail gate closed there is no movement or rattle so I don't know why some people have the problem and some don't.

I will double check with EZDOWN/DEEZEE on Monday.

I did notice it barely slows it down and when I saw another truck with one it lowered a lot slower.

Hmmmmmmm.

I also noticed that one of my tailgate retainer cables is a good 1/4"-1/2" shorter than the other. Ford will be replacing that Monday too.
That's very interesting.. So which top mount and shock do you have? The first photo is the one they sent me and the second photo is the one MVEPEPO posted that he received for the same model number?

I did get a response from their customer service today and apparently they have a new version which is the one I was sent... Here is the email....

Dave, this is from my product manager:

“We installed the new version on a rental F250 and didn’t have a problem with the rubber bumper. The rubber bumper has some adjustment since the mounting holes in the sheet metal are elongated. The customer can try adjusting the rubber bumper or remove it from the driver’s side. The taillight will need to be removed to gain access to the rubber bumper mounting nuts.”

That said it would seem strange to have the rubber bumpers in different places or on one trim level and not another. have you seen this with other pickup trucks before?

Jeff.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

So I guess what they are saying is you should be able to adjust the rubber mount so it clears the shock. The holes are elongated so I will try tomorrow to move it back as far as possible and see if it will close. But I don't think it will... we will see.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:36 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
The only crappy thing about the EZ down is all of the tailgates that you will drop because you are used to the EZ down. Maybe its just me. lol

Old 04-01-2011, 10:51 PM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the same model you did frt, the one with the plate with the pin that you mount under the cable retainer T-50 torx screw. Moving the rubber bumper back would only make it more useless. Might as well remove it.

How fast does your's fall?

Old 04-01-2011, 10:57 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by P.I.T.S.
I got the same model you did frt, the one with the plate with the pin that you mount under the cable retainer T-50 torx screw. Moving the rubber bumper back would only make it more useless. Might as well remove it.

How fast does your's fall?
I think it falls pretty fast.. Obviously better than without the shock but faster that I would expect. Don't know anyone else with the ez down so nothing to compare it to. Sounds like (from the email I received), that they have switched upper mounts and shocks. I sent them a reply asking it they changed the mounts and have not heard back. I also noticed that the upper plate tends to slide back when the gate opens... Bad design I think...

Old 04-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Just installed the EZ Down on my truck! Very cool!

YouTube - Dee Zee EZ Down Tailgate Assist Install Video | RealTruck.Com

Old 04-02-2011, 07:50 AM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by Shepardsonp
Just installed the EZ Down on my truck! Very cool!

YouTube - Dee Zee EZ Down Tailgate Assist Install Video | RealTruck.Com
Did you have any issues with the rubber stop? Which upper mount did they send you?

Old 04-02-2011, 10:04 AM
cjay84
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by frt2599
Did you have any issues with the rubber stop? Which upper mount did they send you?
the upper mount is part of the strut !!!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:50 AM
houstonmr
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
The only crappy thing about the EZ down is all of the tailgates that you will drop because you are used to the EZ down. Maybe its just me. lol
This is very true. I usually drop the tailgate on my 2011 F 350 since I had a Tundra that comes with the easy down tailgate feature. My EZ-Down is on its way to me. I think this is the Tundra feature I miss most!

Old 04-02-2011, 02:23 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by cjay84
the upper mount is part of the strut !!!
There are two different struts and mounting hardware on the top. See photo's above

Old 04-03-2011, 03:25 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
just installed my ez down, and when I went to shut the gate that black bumper broke off. Guess i had the wrong one. Does not matter now! The gate is still faster than I was expecting, but a huge difference. Any bad effects of removing the bumper? There is a reason why its there, so.....

FYI, I ordered the EZ down and a Debo step from trackaddons.com over the phone, and both items were wrong. Ez down has the wrong mount, and the Debo step is for the 2.5" cross bar, not the 3" cross bar 90% of the f-250 have. Just to throw this out there, I called the mfg of the debo step and the guy was more than nice to me. Their product is good, and their service matches.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:40 PM
houstonmr
Senior User
remove rubber bumper for EZ-Down

I just installed the correct EZ-Down for the 2011 250-350. The rubber bumper should be removed despite the instructions not mentioning it. If you look on the bottom of the cylinder part of the EZ-down, there is a rubber ring that goes from the bottom of the cylinder up about 2 1/2". The rubber bumper keeps the gate from shutting. If you remove it (take the tail light off and you can access the two nuts) you can see where the rubber ring on the cylinder rests against the metal bumper on the tailgate replacing the old rubber bumper. It is strange why this was not mentioned in the directions. It is a great improvement

Anyway, I too wish it was just a bit slower. Has anyone mounted two of these, one on each side?

Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 PM
houstonmr
Senior User
Originally Posted by frt2599
That's very interesting.. So which top mount and shock do you have? The first photo is the one they sent me and the second photo is the one MVEPEPO posted that he received for the same model number?

I did get a response from their customer service today and apparently they have a new version which is the one I was sent... Here is the email....

Dave, this is from my product manager:

“We installed the new version on a rental F250 and didn’t have a problem with the rubber bumper. The rubber bumper has some adjustment since the mounting holes in the sheet metal are elongated. The customer can try adjusting the rubber bumper or remove it from the driver’s side. The taillight will need to be removed to gain access to the rubber bumper mounting nuts.”

That said it would seem strange to have the rubber bumpers in different places or on one trim level and not another. have you seen this with other pickup trucks before?

Jeff.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

So I guess what they are saying is you should be able to adjust the rubber mount so it clears the shock. The holes are elongated so I will try tomorrow to move it back as far as possible and see if it will close. But I don't think it will... we will see.

Note that these are two different damper cylinders. The one on the red truck is bigger and has the rubber ring on the bottom which replaces the rubber bumper that is there in the picture. The black truck has a shorter cylinder so it looks like it clears the bumper. I think these tailgates are heavier than the Tundra's and the bigger cylinder is likely warranted.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 PM
cjay84
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by houstonmr
I just installed the correct EZ-Down for the 2011 250-350. The rubber bumper should be removed despite the instructions not mentioning it. If you look on the bottom of the cylinder part of the EZ-down, there is a rubber ring that goes from the bottom of the cylinder up about 2 1/2". The rubber bumper keeps the gate from shutting. If you remove it (take the tail light off and you can access the two nuts) you can see where the rubber ring on the cylinder rests against the metal bumper on the tailgate replacing the old rubber bumper. It is strange why this was not mentioned in the directions. It is a great improvement

Anyway, I too wish it was just a bit slower. Has anyone mounted two of these, one on each side?
mine is slow as christmas turkey. the bumper is no problem. it doesnt make contact. it works perfectly without removing anything !!!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:19 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by cjay84
mine is slow as christmas turkey. the bumper is no problem. it doesnt make contact. it works perfectly without removing anything !!!
So which shock do you have on your truck. The one like mine on the red truck or the black truck?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
While my truck is not a 2011 I looked and the rubber bumper is gone on mine.

Quick Reply: EZ Down tailgate assist