Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 04:01 PM
custom_truker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

Ford uses the 4.6 in Mustangs, but Chevy offers the 5.7 in its now no longer produced Camaro's and Trans Ams. So, why didn't Ford raise to the same level? Is the 4.6 capable of taking on a 5.7 liter in a Camaro? Is it possible to get 300 horses from a 4.6 with only bolt ons and some simple computer adjustments? If a 5.7 is modified and a 4.6 which will be faster, and produce more hp and trq? Just curious and thought I would ask. be great if a 4.6 could stomp a chevy 5.7 camaro

Old 02-27-2003, 10:30 PM
Lectrocuted
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

The only way to overcome a 70 cubic inch disadvantage is ground breaking technology, significant weight difference, or a supercharger. Naturally aspirated is no contest. 5.7 all the way.

Old 02-27-2003, 11:56 PM
franktheman
Senior User
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

4.6L vs 5.7L?

You do know the 5.7L aka Chevy 350 is prolly the most versatile engine of all time don't you?
Comparing the 2 is like comparing ice cream(350) to horse dung(4.6L).
Now I know, this is a Ford enthusiasts site, but come on', the 350 has been around for 50 years or so-I doubt the 4.6L will live to see it's 50th year in production in any format or application.

Besides this,I've owned an 88' Chevy dump truck with 350 engine in it, damn good truck engine-and equally at home in a camaro, or corvette - hell there was even a version for powering boats.

Now I've never owned a truck with 4.6L in it, but from what I've heard from owners is that it's a bit light for any use you'd have for a full sized pickup-and looking at the spec's I'd say thats probably true.
Could you mod it? Sure, but you could mod the 350 too-then what? Would you want a 1 ton masons dump powered by a 4.6L?
Not even close. Just like the guy who tried to compare the 4.6L to the 300IL6-not even close, and even further from a 350.

Regards.

Old 02-28-2003, 12:26 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

Originally posted by franktheman
4.6L vs 5.7L?

You do know the 5.7L aka Chevy 350 is prolly the most versatile engine of all time don't you?
Comparing the 2 is like comparing ice cream(350) to horse dung(4.6L).
Now I know, this is a Ford enthusiasts site, but come on', the 350 has been around for 50 years or so-I doubt the 4.6L will live to see it's 50th year in production in any format or application.

Besides this,I've owned an 88' Chevy dump truck with 350 engine in it, damn good truck engine-and equally at home in a camaro, or corvette - hell there was even a version for powering boats.

Now I've never owned a truck with 4.6L in it, but from what I've heard from owners is that it's a bit light for any use you'd have for a full sized pickup-and looking at the spec's I'd say thats probably true.
Could you mod it? Sure, but you could mod the 350 too-then what? Would you want a 1 ton masons dump powered by a 4.6L?
Not even close. Just like the guy who tried to compare the 4.6L to the 300IL6-not even close, and even further from a 350.

Regards.

"SIGH"...........considering the LS1 version of the 5.7(which is actually 346inches and is directly related to the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0) Share NOT ONE PART with the "350 that has been around for 50 years" and that the 302 horsepower 4.6 in a Grand Marquis spanks the 260 horse LTI(which was based on the previous GEN small block) in the '96 Impala SS, I'd say technology can make up cubes.

Is Ford doing it with the 4.6 in trucks? I've heard of 3 valve heads in the works but remember, it's the base V8 and I'm sure Ford is thinking if you want more ba!!$ ante up to the 5.4 or SD V10.

Old 02-28-2003, 01:16 AM
custom_truker
Senior User
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

you uys have good insight, but I know that the chevy 5.7 is a good engine, and that their are probably more aftermarket parts for that size engine than any other, but that is not really what I am asking. Is it possible, for a 4.6 liter to out race a chevy 5.7 liter engine in a sports car, or other type car as long as they are of similar weight. I have friends that would say a 4.6 liter Ford mustang wouldn't stand a chance against a camaro of trans am, and I would like to be able and look them eye, and throw out the numbers that prove a 4.6 is very well capable of keeping up with a camaro and even beating it. It would be great So, can I do that. Can I say the 4.6 has more juice? Any one know what the numbers are for the 4.6? I have the numbers for the chevy, they are all over the place. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2003, 10:19 AM
Lectrocuted
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

If you're going to compare the lowest powered 350 to the 4.6, it might have a chace. What about the z28 or trans-am 5.7?????? Once again...no contest.

Old 02-28-2003, 11:36 AM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

Originally posted by DOHCmarauder
"SIGH"...........considering the LS1 version of the 5.7(which is actually 346inches and is directly related to the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0) Share NOT ONE PART with the "350 that has been around for 50 years" and that the 302 horsepower 4.6 in a Grand Marquis spanks the 260 horse LTI(which was based on the previous GEN small block) in the '96 Impala SS, I'd say technology can make up cubes.

That is not what I have been hearing from magazines and such. They complain that the Marauder is a pig that lacks torque. Have you ever been in an LTI powered impala or caprice? I can tell you that their acceleration is ferocious. I am no Chevy fan. I have never owned one, nor will I ever, but i will give credit where credir is due, and the LT1, and Ls1 5.7's are excellent engines and would be hard to beat.

Old 02-28-2003, 12:27 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

Originally posted by 92f150I6
That is not what I have been hearing from magazines and such. They complain that the Marauder is a pig that lacks torque. Have you ever been in an LTI powered impala or caprice? I can tell you that their acceleration is ferocious. I am no Chevy fan. I have never owned one, nor will I ever, but i will give credit where credir is due, and the LT1, and Ls1 5.7's are excellent engines and would be hard to beat.

Mine absolutely lacks low end torque. And my neighbor has a '96 SS with exhaust and a chip. Bottom line is at the track (we've gone 1 Friday) our 60 foot times are near equal because of her tire spin where I just launch smoothly(I can powerbrake to smoke the meats, but why?) and at the 1/4 I'm between a .3 and .5 seconds ahead.(mid 14's) 80 MPH roll ons to a 100 I get a few car lenghts.

BTW, I've read the low end complaint(kenne-bell has been contacted) but I never heard the term "pig" and I've read everything I could find on the Marauder.

I LOVE the OLD Impala SS, this is the reason I bought the Ford version. If the current SS wasn't a V6 POS.......who knows.

Old 02-28-2003, 12:35 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

Originally posted by custom_truker
you uys have good insight, but I know that the chevy 5.7 is a good engine, and that their are probably more aftermarket parts for that size engine than any other, but that is not really what I am asking. Is it possible, for a 4.6 liter to out race a chevy 5.7 liter engine in a sports car, or other type car as long as they are of similar weight. I have friends that would say a 4.6 liter Ford mustang wouldn't stand a chance against a camaro of trans am, and I would like to be able and look them eye, and throw out the numbers that prove a 4.6 is very well capable of keeping up with a camaro and even beating it. It would be great So, can I do that. Can I say the 4.6 has more juice? Any one know what the numbers are for the 4.6? I have the numbers for the chevy, they are all over the place. Thanks.

I'll concede that a GT (SOHC 2 valve motor) is lacking against the LS1 but the new Mach1 with the 4 valve DOHC(basically a Cobra mill sans supercharger) is equaling the last #'s of the F-bodies(may they RIP) And the '03 Cobra is in Z06 territory. (yes it is supercharged)

Please don't confuse the interchangeability of the previous generation chevy smallblocks with the new ls1. They are completely different engines.

Old 02-28-2003, 12:43 PM
custom_truker
Senior User
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

Isn't the 4.6 liter a DOHC engine? I think I heard somewhere that it was. Most DOHC engines will rev to the sky compared to a traditional pushrod engine, so would the revs that the 4.6 makes have anything to do with the low end power issue? I mean, if the engine is built to use the revs, then by all means, use the revs. If it isn't, and then it still doesn't make low end power, then there might be some issues that need to be adressed. About, racing two different cars at a drag strip, that is all nice and a blast I am sure, but a drivers skill then comes into the equation and it becomes which driver can drive his or her vehicle to its max without over stepping the performance envelope, and whoever gets closest to the edge without going over, will probably win. For example, if I have a 500 horse power car and race a 200 horsepower car, if I can't drive the car in a way to get it to hook up, then all that power is useless because I am not getting it to the ground. If anyone wants to compare what car did at the track as opposed to the other, try and research it a little and find numbers for both cars, driven by different drivers, and then see which ran fastest. Make sense? Thanks.

Old 02-28-2003, 01:34 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

Originally posted by custom_truker
Isn't the 4.6 liter a DOHC engine? I think I heard somewhere that it was. Most DOHC engines will rev to the sky compared to a traditional pushrod engine, so would the revs that the 4.6 makes have anything to do with the low end power issue? I mean, if the engine is built to use the revs, then by all means, use the revs. If it isn't, and then it still doesn't make low end power, then there might be some issues that need to be adressed. About, racing two different cars at a drag strip, that is all nice and a blast I am sure, but a drivers skill then comes into the equation and it becomes which driver can drive his or her vehicle to its max without over stepping the performance envelope, and whoever gets closest to the edge without going over, will probably win. For example, if I have a 500 horse power car and race a 200 horsepower car, if I can't drive the car in a way to get it to hook up, then all that power is useless because I am not getting it to the ground. If anyone wants to compare what car did at the track as opposed to the other, try and research it a little and find numbers for both cars, driven by different drivers, and then see which ran fastest. Make sense? Thanks.

Fair post.......No, not all 4.6's are DOHC. The Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Mustang GT and trucks are all SOHC. The new Lincoln Aviator, Cobra, Mach 1 and Marauder are DOHC 4 valve heads.

Without getting too technical, the cam placement has nothing to do with powerband. In theory an OHC setup should be more efficient at higher revs but you don't have to utilize the revs(Ford truck motors for instance) The lack of low end torque has as much to do with 280 cubes trying to get 4000 pounds moving. Yes, the DOHC 4.6 is tuned for higher end power(over 6000 RPM redline) but so is the 346 in the Corvette Z06 which still uses pushrods.

The same basic 4.6 DOHC in my old '97 Cobra would FRY the tires off the line. But add weight, an automatic with a tight convertor and the low end seems lethargic.

Your skill comment is very true and roasting the skins at the start is death in a drag race. But once the times are near a second apart (GT Mustang vs. LS1 F-body) you could smoke the tires for 3/4 of a second and still run down a stock GT.

I'll admit one painful thing. As is common with Ford, they answer the bell waaay late. Impala SS vs. Marauder(six years late) Mach 1 vs Z28(there is no more Z28) and I do wish I had bragging rights for gassers with the V10. (the 8.1 is rated higher but the V10 does hold its own......most of the time)

Old 02-28-2003, 10:05 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

I rode in a Impala SS, I was not impressed. I had to think that the driver was not pushing it. He said he had it nailed but the get up and go was nowhere near what I was expecting.

As far as frank's comment about the 4.6's dubious production roll of 50 years. What engine made today will have a production run of 10 years? 20 tops. The chevy 350 was a popular motor and it is easier to hop it up (and cheaper to do) than possibly any other motor. But the current trend in technology and emissions, plus fuel cell motors makes any engine made today a limited production engine (compared to a 50 year run).

As far as getting a 4.6 to beat a camero with the LT1......possible but expensive. The LT1 in that package is really tough. You would probably have to re-engineer the car and the motor to beat them in a straight line without a blower.

Old 02-28-2003, 11:17 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

Originally posted by ultramagdan
I rode in a Impala SS, I was not impressed. I had to think that the driver was not pushing it. He said he had it nailed but the get up and go was nowhere near what I was expecting.

As far as frank's comment about the 4.6's dubious production roll of 50 years. What engine made today will have a production run of 10 years? 20 tops. The chevy 350 was a popular motor and it is easier to hop it up (and cheaper to do) than possibly any other motor. But the current trend in technology and emissions, plus fuel cell motors makes any engine made today a limited production engine (compared to a 50 year run).

As far as getting a 4.6 to beat a camero with the LT1......possible but expensive. The LT1 in that package is really tough. You would probably have to re-engineer the car and the motor to beat them in a straight line without a blower.

Actually, the LT1 hasn't been around since '96(?) The current 260 Hp SOHC Mustang GT will beat it. The LS1 is a different animal, but I will still challenge one with a DOHC 4 valve Cobra or Mach1.

Old 03-01-2003, 05:30 PM
truckfreak69
Posting Guru
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

A camaro is a larger car though, so maybe there is a chance that it will beat it because of that? I think the reason Ford never put the 5.4 in a regular mustang was simply there was no reason. My mom's 4.6 powered T-Bird has unbelievable amounts of tourque (more than anything else I've driven). Note that mustangs run (comprably equipped) about 4-5 thousand less than a Comaro or Firebird. How often do you get to stomp on it on the road anyway? It's more image in selling cars these days than actual performance numbers. (Note: Ricers). And in order to sell them they must also be affordable, hence the reason the mustang is still in production. They sell more v6 convertables than anything else anyway.

The I6 I believe was around for at least 40 years, why don't you consider it one of the best engines in production? (they still use it for generators and water pumps etc.)

Old 03-02-2003, 07:30 PM
i looove fords
Freshman User
4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter

i have a 1994 ford t-bird with a 4.6 v8 with accel coil packs and wires,a k&n air filter and bosch plugs..thats it and my brother has a 1989 chevy iroc 305 tpi with bosch plugs and a k&n air filter..he also has about 75,000 miles on his car compared to the 125,000 on my bird and any day of the week i'll whoop him..my car weighs more than his and almost everything is new on his..while the rest of mine is all stock..and as far as top end 50-105 he doesnt stand a chance ..neither does any of the 4 1990's?? 5.0 mustangs i have raced on the highway...as for taking off the mustang 5.0 will leave me..but i have a very badly screwed tranny from all the racing i have also raced a newer chevy lt1 350 and i personally do not think it is all that great..i stayed with it til about 45 then he let off..i think he was embarrassed my bird hung with him..but yes i think you could beef up a 4.6 to beat a lt1 or any other chevy engine..hope i have been of any help..
mike

Quick Reply: 4.6 liter vs. 5.7 liter