6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Diesel fuel quality?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Jakebrake
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I have seen several in-ground-tank installs around here. People in the industry tell me the fuel pickup is located several inches off the bottom of the tank...not all of the fuel can be pumped out of the tank. The pumps will stop when there are still several hundred gallons of fuel in the tank. The tanks are installed with a little slope on them so the water and sediment will move away from the fuel pickup. Not all pumps have filters on them...only know of one retailer in my area that has a cartridge type filter on the pump.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:55 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as has been mentioned, our fuel comes from the one of the 3 refineries in north salt lake. I have a friend that works at one and he claims the flying j refinery is more sloppy in their fuel standards, he must work at chevron, because he doesn't work at silver eagle. but then again just like our opinions with trucks the other guys always suck.

crude oil is trading below $90/barrel which is done from where it was, I had been paying $3.79 for several months but now the price is in fact going up and crude went down. in our particular area I know there had been some gouging because I could buy diesel downtown or at very select locations for almost .20/gal less than most places. what I am saying is at the beginning of the summer there was defiantly some screwy things going on with fuel pricing in our area. we also tend to be the last area in the nation to go down in price and sometimes the last to go up.

most of the oil used in our refineries comes from the uinta basin so its local. the big question that no one will answer is how much our local refineries pay for the local oil and how much this varies from the traded price, thats the elephant in the room and one the refineries refuse to answer.

as to sulfur and its removal from diesel, our own mike leavitt was secretary of the EPA when that came about, so when you hear of or see mike leavitt being mentioned you can thank him for the surely higher price ALL of us are paying for diesel and the associated costs of engines to comply with it. diesel used to be cheaper than gas, removal of the sulfur is part of that changing.

I personally think electronically there is alot going on with our trucks I think that more than anything effects the way our fuel mileage varies, mine is kinda all over the place too, sometimes its not that great others its flat out amazing, I think it depends on if you are regening or passive regining or not doing any of that. I don't think any or the fuel locally even if it came from 3 seperate refineries would cause a 10 or 15% difference that I think most of us see. I would think more like less than 5% would be fuel related and its quaility

Old 01-31-2020, 01:21 PM
Edd505
More Turbo
Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts
I have use gas buddy for years to find the best price I could for fuel, I then learned about the TSD program and signed up. Since getting the TSD card I can now compare both apps for best price in the area, TSD wins every time. I installed an 80 gallon transfer tank so I could shop for best price. I saw post that the truck stops were not close but when traveling it is easy to plan fuel stops. Even at home my closest TSD is 75 miles but I go to the area when I run low on fuel and do other business while there. Like wise if I have business in that area I top off. Current location gas buddy shows $2.89 - $3.73 and TSD $2.57 3 miles away, I also checked my next stop and find when I cross the state boarder it drops to $2.34, where would you go??

Here is a challenge: get both apps and compare prices your self.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:09 PM
tradosaurus
More Turbo
Received 134 Likes on 99 Posts
I generally get diesel at the local Shell which is right off of the Interstate. I also get $10 cents/gal off using the Shell card. If I'm traveling I try to go to big gas stations off of the interstate like QT.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:35 PM
Edd505
More Turbo
Originally Posted by tradosaurus
I generally get diesel at the local Shell which is right off of the Interstate. I also get $10 cents/gal off using the Shell card. If I'm traveling I try to go to big gas stations off of the interstate like QT.
If your using diesel look into the TSD Fuel card. Fill out the application, they call verify some info and send the card. You must use it at truck stops in the commercial lanes and not all truck stops participate so you have to watch. I fueled in AZ $2.57 and today in NM for $2.36, how does that compare to your local station? Your not going to find fresher fuel than truck stops.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:50 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,625 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by Edd505
If your using diesel look into the TSD Fuel card. Fill out the application, they call verify some info and send the card. You must use it at truck stops in the commercial lanes and not all truck stops participate so you have to watch. I fueled in AZ $2.57 and today in NM for $2.36, how does that compare to your local station? Your not going to find fresher fuel than truck stops.
You DO realize that you pay higher tax in the commercial lanes in AZ??

Old 02-02-2020, 08:12 PM
Edd505
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 99150
You DO realize that you pay higher tax in the commercial lanes in AZ??
I paid $2.53 a gallon in AZ in the commercial lanes, where they split goes for tax I don't really care, bottom line was $2.53 a gallon. I carry 120 gallons truck and aux tank so instead of topping off in AZ I waited until I got to NM and took on 61 gallons at $2.36. That fill at station price of $2.89 (lowest gas buddy) would have been $176.29 but with the card it would have been $156.16 about $20, waiting till NM that same fill was $143.96 over $30. NM pump price showed $2.99 card $2.36, no way to lose if you use diesel, I save in either state, just more in NM.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:50 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,362 Likes on 4,621 Posts
I paid $2.53 a gallon in AZ in the commercial lanes, where they split goes for tax I don't really care, bottom line was $2.53 a gallon. I carry 120 gallons truck and aux tank so instead of topping off in AZ I waited until I got to NM and took on 61 gallons at $2.36. That fill at station price of $2.89 (lowest gas buddy) would have been $176.29 but with the card it would have been $156.16 about $20, waiting till NM that same fill was $143.96 over $30. NM pump price showed $2.99 card $2.36, no way to lose if you use diesel, I save in either state, just more in NM.
You're doing just fine. Not the $3.05 I pay now for Mobil's Synergy diesel that I switched to here in my State of taxation.

Old 02-04-2020, 01:08 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,625 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Are you in fact commercial? If not....thank you for your donation to the great state of Arizona. Just FYI, if one is non-commercial, and does fuel at the commercial island, one can go into the store and get the commercial tax refunded.....I think it is around .15/gal over the non commercial

Old 02-04-2020, 11:14 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
What about the old tale of never filling up when the tanker truck is unloading? Just wondering.
There are no less than 5 filters in line between the underground tank and the pump. It makes no difference if the tanker is there. The sump that pumps the fuel to the dispenser is at the bottom of the storage tank, if there were sediment present, and it settles to the bottom of the holding tank, it would be pumped into the system all the time, hence the use of so many filters.

In the case of water in the fuel (old fuel), there are sensors in the tank that monitor water saturation. if an alarm is present, the station operator is required to shut down the system, and the costly procedure of pumping and cleaning the tank is what needs to happen. Too often, greedy station owners just silence the alarm till they can sell off most of the fuel to minimize losses, which spells trouble for the diesel owner. The moral of the story is to save your receipts, no matter where you fill up.

A little insider $.02 for ya all.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:48 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
What scares me the most is the tank truck driver dumping gasoline into the diesel tank. A lot of times they carry gasoline and diesel on the same load. Some are common carrier drivers and may not be familiar with the tanks at the delivery location. I always keep my receipt and try to fuel up a the same location in case of a problem. Fuel was $2.27 at a local Walmart the other day Murphy/Valero brand and I haven't seen this price in about 3 yrs.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:39 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Paw's 150 Lariat
What scares me the most is the tank truck driver dumping gasoline into the diesel tank. A lot of times they carry gasoline and diesel on the same load. Some are common carrier drivers and may not be familiar with the tanks at the delivery location. I always keep my receipt and try to fuel up a the same location in case of a problem. Fuel was $2.27 at a local Walmart the other day Murphy/Valero brand and I haven't seen this price in about 3 yrs.
I think that’s the biggest risk, which is part of the reason I never use cash. A credit card invoice should be sufficient if there was ever a problem. If they dropped gas into the diesel tank, the station would have dozens of claims for the ensuing havoc. If anything, you would just need to prove that you filled there.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:10 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I think that’s the biggest risk, which is part of the reason I never use cash. A credit card invoice should be sufficient if there was ever a problem. If they dropped gas into the diesel tank, the station would have dozens of claims for the ensuing havoc. If anything, you would just need to prove that you filled there.
Same here...I use my credit card to pay at the pump. Keep my receipt and have proof from my credit card statement where I bought fuel from.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:01 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I recently moved to Arkansas and it seems like the local WalMart Neighborhood Market is the cheapest around, have tried various other stations with no difference in results, so I go where it's cheaper down here. When I lived up North, Montana and Wyoming, I used either Cenex Road Master XL or Kum and Go Diesel Xtreme when available, both were premium diesels with 48 minimum cetane, also didn't really notice any difference with these fuels, just was willing to pay the few extra bucks for a better fuel. Never have had a single fuel issue, Sinclair also seems to have quality fuel.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:50 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bobcat67
I recently moved to Arkansas and it seems like the local WalMart Neighborhood Market is the cheapest around, have tried various other stations with no difference in results, so I go where it's cheaper down here. When I lived up North, Montana and Wyoming, I used either Cenex Road Master XL or Kum and Go Diesel Xtreme when available, both were premium diesels with 48 minimum cetane, also didn't really notice any difference with these fuels, just was willing to pay the few extra bucks for a better fuel. Never have had a single fuel issue, Sinclair also seems to have quality fuel.
I use Kum and Go Xtreme Diesel exclusively and was wondering what cetane it was. How did you find their cetane number?

Quick Reply: Diesel fuel quality?