1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Project Steel Dreams 1950 F2 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim,

I'm really enjoying your build thread. When you're ready for the shake down run head down my way or we could meet halfway somewhere. Old Route 66 comes right through here. You've got to get that truck out for a cruise on the Mother Road. I'd buy lunch and a cold beverege of your choice just to get a look at your darksider in person!

Rob

Old 05-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by hellfirejim
Whao, slow down a little. Exactly how big, we have not got there yet as I still have a number of things to get right first. I am going to keep the stock tank and it will be covered except for the filler port.

I have been considering constructing a low wide tool box that will be just in front of the spare tire.

Honest When I decide You guys will be the first to know with PICTURES!!

jim
Sorry Jim,

I was just drawing some today and started drawining it a little... that is what happens when your bored at home and have AutoCAD on your computer...

Old 05-06-2011, 05:27 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Rob,

I think that would be excellent. It is getting pretty close right now. I just have a few things to finish first. When I am ready I will say so this thread so don't be shy about reminding me.

Moe,

Don't apologize, no problem. Actually if you are interested in doing some drawings of the truck, PM me.

Just wanted to note that in a matter of a few weeks the views of this thread have gone from 5000 to 7000. Amazing, just amazing.

jim

Old 05-06-2011, 07:02 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Today was a story of being in the right place at the right time with the right attitude.

Short back story. I took the 50 to have the back part of the exhaust made and put on. I go to my Friend Hutch who does custom exhaust at the tire place where he works. It is a non madrel bend but he does produce the best systems with the older technology. Anway the boss asked him to hold off until this other guy got back from lunch in 1/2 hour. No problem on my part. Well eventually the guy got back from a 2 hour lunch and Hutch was pissed. All this tme I was just chilling, like I had some place to go and my truck was up on the lift.....

All of a sudden Hutch brings around this set of mandrel bend 2 1/2 V8 S-10 exhaust pipes. He had had them on the shelf as part of a private stash. He also brought out a set of 15 degree cut ends for the pipes.

After it was all installed and welded and new hangers put in we dropped it down and I fired it up. Man was that sweet!! The sharp edge was gone and it was very mellow until you put your foot in it....

Another unexpect bonus the lowering of the sound level in the cab. Major improvment.

And of course the cost did you ask?? I paid him $40 for parts and paid the company $50 for the labor and misc stuff. He was upset at the guy plus upset I had to wait so long so he gave me a good deal. I am ok with that.

Ok enough chatter, here are the pictures.

Name:  exhaust5-6-11003.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  71.7 KB

That one shows how the pipes were run. The next one is here just because I like it. I like the attitude.

Name:  exhaust5-6-11002.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  70.5 KB

Here is the link to the folder:Exhaust pictures by hellfirejim - Photobucket

I should mention that this exhaust setup front to back is scheduled for replacement when we blow it apart for the body work.

jim

Old 05-06-2011, 08:59 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Looks good, can't beat that deal!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:36 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well what a blessing for sure, funny how people get inspired to do something so generous "uhm" congrats Jim. YOU deserve it.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
Sorry Jim,

I was just drawing some today and started drawining it a little... that is what happens when your bored at home and have AutoCAD on your computer...
Awesome Moe....I have Autocad too,...sure is handy designing brackets and such.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

The exhaust looks great Jim...

That is a nice looking front bumper, turned upside down, you have on the back of your F1. Sweet

Old 05-07-2011, 01:04 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow Very nice and great score on the exhaust.
I always wanted to see the rear on your f2

Old 05-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 762 Likes on 373 Posts
I should mention that this exhaust setup front to back is scheduled for replacement when we blow it apart for the body work.
I would have a hard time taking it apart at this point. It looks so much fun to drive. But of course after the body work, you will have something really special.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:06 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Joe,
Not to worry as it is going to be quite a while till this gets blown apart as I have so much to do still.[years] In the mean time I am going to do just that and drive it.

Right now it appears that a trans problem has reared it's ugly head. Stil driveable but there is a good chance there is an internal problem... Just one more problem to over come.

Question: Why are there more problems than money?????

jim

Old 05-07-2011, 07:18 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Joe,
Not to worry as it is going to be quite a while till this gets blown apart as I have so much to do still.[years] In the mean time I am going to do just that and drive it.

Right now it appears that a trans problem has reared it's ugly head. Stil driveable but there is a good chance there is an internal problem... Just one more problem to over come.

Question: Why are there more problems than money?????

jim
Life would be boring if life was pink!!
If we all had money we would be sipping wine complaining about how uncomfortable the seats are on the private jet.
Your better off fixing an old truck

Old 05-07-2011, 05:16 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Unhappy

So I was out today enjoying the sweet sounds of the exhaust and trying to figure out my trans problem when all of a sudden the alternator starts whineing really loud. The alt charges fine but it sounds like one of the bearings is going out.

I don't need this and I really can't afford it. I think for a while I am going to have to just park it......

I can do things with the parts I have left to install but basically it will have to sit until there is enough money to fix it which could be a while....After all this work and just when I was just out enjoying the fruits of my labor, very very frustrating.

jim

Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Sorry about the rant. Tomorrow is another day.

jim

Old 05-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Sorry about the rant. Tomorrow is another day.

jim
Jim that is what were here for.... And tomorrow is another day...

Quick Reply: Project Steel Dreams 1950 F2 build