Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

76 hiboy tear down resto mod build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:37 PM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got some more good work done today. motor bolted in the mounts and the trans temporally bolted up so we can mock up the 2 cross members. i cut the first one out, still debating how to go about making it clear bottom of the engine. got the second one pretty much figured out i think.

motr in

motor with trans

for the rear cross member we are going to use the original. and just relocate the brackets farther back.

to my surprise, the little isolator bracket thinger bolted right up from the 435 to the zf

ground down the heads of these rivets then beat them out with a hammer

originally, the xmember sat the tranny slightly off set but with the new motor and trans it needs to centered so we had to put in a new bushing

Old 01-08-2011, 05:07 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm, why do you have a jet engine in your garage?!?

Excellent thread. Reminds me of the work I've had to do to my 77' High-Boy. I'm going the easy route though and keeping mine gas.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:12 PM
ozzy460
Elder User
im using a 93 cummins which has dif style mounts. do u know if the 94 up style motor mounts can be used? r they interchangable?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:25 PM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ozzy460
im using a 93 cummins which has dif style mounts. do u know if the 94 up style motor mounts can be used? r they interchangable?
im no expert but im pretty sure they could be. these just use 3 bolts in an L pattern. i can take a pic next time for you if you think it would help

Old 01-08-2011, 05:26 PM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by peganit2

Umm, why do you have a jet engine in your garage?!?

Excellent thread. Reminds me of the work I've had to do to my 77' High-Boy. I'm going the easy route though and keeping mine gas.
thanks, if i kept mine gas id be way farther then i am but thats no fun. i have many planes and engines in this hanger

Old 01-08-2011, 05:32 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Is that a Harrier?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:36 PM
JustBlaze
Senior User
She's coming right along. I got those brackets from my uncle. I'm gonna try them out and see if I can get them on. They were spread wider or something so I might have to put them in the vise and bring them back into shape.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:01 PM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by peganit2
Is that a Harrier?
umm what? lol

Old 01-08-2011, 06:02 PM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JustBlaze
She's coming right along. I got those brackets from my uncle. I'm gonna try them out and see if I can get them on. They were spread wider or something so I might have to put them in the vise and bring them back into shape.
good ****.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:44 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by ozzy460
Yes they can. My motor is a 93 with the 94- mounts.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:04 PM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
well i been pluging a way this week. pulled the rear wheels and hubs off which was pretty easy once i had the right sized socket. then i pulled the entire shoe assay off and set it aside. i was quite confused when i t came to pulling the drums off the hubs i felt pretty stupid. didn't realize you had to knock the studs out to separate the 2, who in the hell came up with that BS?

any way here the pics

got my needle scalier this week to so ive been doing that a lil at a time. works really well, should pay for its self on this project alone.

the "cleaned" half is on the right

messing around with some electrolysis

spent the day today working on cross members. got the rear all finished, ended up using the stock x member and moved it back and down with 2 half inch spacers i made from aluminum.

the middle one i have all figured out to make it removable, pretty much we removed these rivets and replaced the with bolts, then added tabs to the section i cut out. gives me clearance room and is removable

didnt have any bolts to bolt it up and i have to pull the trans to get the one rivet out so that will be next time

Old 01-15-2011, 06:23 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The results from the needle scaler look similar to a wire wheel on an angle grinder. Is the scaler better?

Also, I have used electrolysis and it works great! The parts might still looked caked, but something like a screwdriver or putty knife will take off the heavy stuff in chunks, no problem.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:47 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dang, that engine looks huge sitting in the frame and looks like it sits pretty high, but I'm sure it just looks that way. Nice work.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:57 PM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by teds74ford
The results from the needle scaler look similar to a wire wheel on an angle grinder. Is the scaler better?

Also, I have used electrolysis and it works great! The parts might still looked caked, but something like a screwdriver or putty knife will take off the heavy stuff in chunks, no problem.
the scaler is pretty quick at what it does, i also dont think the wire wheel would get stuff this thing is getting off. i absolutely love the results

Originally Posted by bucks77ford
Dang, that engine looks huge sitting in the frame and looks like it sits pretty high, but I'm sure it just looks that way. Nice work.
you are right on both accounts, lol. its starting to come together, wont be long before i tear it the rest of the way down for blasting and paint.

im still up in the air with the steering.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Blackfoot Big Block
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Great Thread! Excellent photos and commentary.

If you are going at the frame with a needle scaler I think it will take a looong time.

Have you considered taking the frame, etc to a commercial sandblaster? It will cost you a few hundred bucks but they will be able to blast places that you can't get to. The frame should come back really nice (assuming they do a good job).

Speaking from experience sandblasting is a miserable job. At least when I've done it. I think it's worth it to pay someone else to do it.

Quick Reply: 76 hiboy tear down resto mod build thread