Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Cost to Restore 1966 F 100

Old 11-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Boss9F100
Backyard Project Manager
Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 429 f-100 View Post
we have to do things cheaper here in this part of nc where i am coastal farming (rattel can paint job)!! you go lookat my garage and tell me if they look like a back yard job to you . i have been in the body shop bussiness for 25 years body man // shop forman // now body and custom shop owner. i have restored frame up tow it in -drive it home cars and trucks 25 or 30 ! everything from 28 woody model a that has won three!!! national shows / 67 conv camaro nat show winner / a 65 f-100 two time nat show winner //and more ! so i know what im talking about // as far as time it depends on how good you and your guys are // its aLL what the cust wants stock running gear some times it runs ok just needs body work paint / frame work brake , gas , lines ect... i whish i could get 30 40 grand it is simpley not here in this bad economic time mabey it is better on the west coast. wes

Seeing as though this is the 61-66 Forum please start a new post showing the restoration on the 65. We would all love to see what you did with it. It very well could drum you up some more work.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:55 PM
ocbp1981
Junior User
ocbp1981 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not that cheep at the auction for a 66 F 100

BARRETT-JACKSON LOT: 622 - 1966 FORD F-100 PICKUP

Barrett-Jackson - The World's Greatest Collector Car Events

Sale Price: *$31,900.00

Old 11-17-2010, 06:18 AM
429 f-100
Elder User
429 f-100 has a good reputation on FTE.429 f-100 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ocbp1981 View Post

boy that is a rare find truck one family owned and orig v8 with 15000 mi!!! that is probibly the newest 66 truck in the world!! but some times on the first couple of days of there auctions there are cheap deals to be had if you got money burning a whole in your pocket. i see things sold for cheaper than i can build it for ! wes

Old 11-17-2010, 06:55 AM
429 f-100
Elder User
Originally Posted by Boss9F100 View Post
Seeing as though this is the 61-66 Forum please start a new post showing the restoration on the 65. We would all love to see what you did with it. It very well could drum you up some more work.
i got work to do being i useally have any where from 100 to 600 pictures and all are 2500xbig and i need to shrink all put somewhere retrieve then load ect you know. ill try and start a new file and stock pile a bunch of pics . and the only place i can put now is garage.i would love to do nothing but build custom and restore ford trucks (thats all i drive) but i tried the first two years but found i could not find any one that would put up the effort but me and my partner went thru sevaral body men they just didnt have the passion that i did . now we realize that we need collision work to keep lights on pay mortgage ect. and blowing one apart to the bare frame takes up alot of room ! we now do one at a time we want a bare shell we will do all body work and paint cust trims out. and chases parts i never got paid for that !! i couldnot find somebody willing to pay what is really worth but did it any way to survive and it is better than closing! i got my own 65 now im wroking on but i am more of a rodder than perfect paint guy mine is a 65 long bed cc w/ a 69 429/ built c-6 one piece alum shaft 1350 joints 350 trac loc 9 in rear fun ride. wes

Old 11-17-2010, 04:08 PM
ocbp1981
Junior User
ocbp1981 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Labor Rates in SOCAL and US

Here in SOCAL I have been quoted labor rates for restorations from $65 - $75 HR. If it takes more than 300 hours to restore a F 100 thats ~ $22,500 just in labor. What are the labor rates around the rest of the US for restoration work? Any input would be appreciated. I can always ship it for less.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Boss9F100
Backyard Project Manager
Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.
Here in SOCAL I have been quoted labor rates for restorations from $65 - $75 HR. If it takes more than 300 hours to restore a F 100 thats ~ $22,500 just in labor. What are the labor rates around the rest of the US for restoration work? Any input would be appreciated. I can always ship it for less.

65-75.00 per is a bit steep for restoration work but with costs skyrocketing nearly daily its about what a shop would have to charge to stay in business.

Some places 45.00 has been pretty typical for someone with little overhead.

You can find it cheaper but you get what you pay for. Thats why so many of these done trucks are WAY underpriced compared to what it costs to do one.

For a COMPLETE restoration on one most shops will tell you around 1000hrs to complete on a nice truck to start with. Any thing under around 600hrs its really not being restored.

So say 600hrs x 50 per = 30,000.00 just in labor alone. add 20k in parts and you are at the 50k base. Thats why I said buy a nice one its FAR cheaper. Either that or learn how to do it yourself!

There is a "How to Restore a Slick"--School near me if you want to learn... It teaches you how to tear it apart, full body and paint, chassis, rear axles and suspension,front ends, steering, transmissions, engine rebuild, brakes, interior, how to restore trim, install glass and more. Pretty much everything included in restoring the trucks. It even goes into plating, parts searching. PM me for a sign up sheet. The larger the class the less the cost. Also avail is individual classes for each section of the restoration.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:42 PM
cdieterman67
New User
cdieterman67 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The labor rate at my Ford dealer is $77.50/ hr in Indiana

Old 11-17-2010, 11:46 PM
kevin206
Senior User
kevin206 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A guy in my area does scratch and shoot paint jobs for about $700. PPG omni paint included. It's just him in a small shop. $3500 a week isn't a bad gig and sometimes he does two a day! He's not real consistent though. He's always done well on my stuff, but he's shot some black that just wasn't up to par. Looked like an orange peel.

Not sure of his hourly rate, but local factories pay $10-12per hour. Most people will work for $15-20per hour if they're out on their own. Some even cheaper.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Bill W
Post Fiend
Bill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputation
Sure most people will work for $15-20 bucks an hour, but someone running a business has to make more than that to stay in business.

with that said....i paint for a living.... (houses, not cars/trucks) most jobs i make 35 to 50 and sometimes even more an hour. it's a must if you want to stay in business for very long.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:58 AM
Boss9F100
Backyard Project Manager
Originally Posted by kevin206 View Post
A guy in my area does scratch and shoot paint jobs for about $700. PPG omni paint included. It's just him in a small shop. $3500 a week isn't a bad gig and sometimes he does two a day! He's not real consistent though. He's always done well on my stuff, but he's shot some black that just wasn't up to par. Looked like an orange peel.

Not sure of his hourly rate, but local factories pay $10-12per hour. Most people will work for $15-20per hour if they're out on their own. Some even cheaper.
for a paint job like he does especially on a original paint vehicle it KILLS the value. Ya get what you pay for could not be more true.

Most people that have the $$ invested in equip to do a restoration are not going to work for 10-20 per hr

Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 AM
429 f-100
Elder User
our restoration rate is 55.00 per hr that said i cant charge every hour it adds up to to many so i keep track of hours but charge a flat price that i can live with! and you have differant skill levels people working on it useally body man helper , exp body man , painters helper . painter , clean up guys , master of all (he gets the most unless he is the boss) hard to find somebody with a unlimited budget ready to spend 40 50 k in my part of the country. wes

Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM
kevin206
Senior User
kevin206 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Bill W View Post
Sure most people will work for $15-20 bucks an hour, but someone running a business has to make more than that to stay in business.
He's been in business for many years. That being said, he also does some insurance work. I dropped by one day while he was repairing a bumper cover and I think the fender also. He said it was a 4-6 hour job and he would profit about $600. He says one insurance job like that a week and he's more than happy. Cost of Living is pretty cheap here. I've been out of work for over two years and still making it fine from a few odd jobs and a meager savings.

As far as ruining the value, he will paint however you want to pay. He'll do an expensive job or a quicky. The quicky work he has done for me wasn't 100%, but more than expected for what I paid. And there doesn't seem to be much you can do to ruin the value of a 45 year old truck! It does boil down to what your final goal is. Most people can't tell the difference between a $50k restore and an $8k fixup and detail when it's driving down the road or even sitting in a grocery store parking lot.

I know people drive $30k cars off the lot every day for their daily drivers, but I'm not sure I could enjoy driving my old truck if I had that much in it.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Boss9F100
Backyard Project Manager
Originally Posted by 429 f-100 View Post
our restoration rate is 55.00 per hr that said i cant charge every hour it adds up to to many so i keep track of hours but charge a flat price that i can live with! and you have differant skill levels people working on it useally body man helper , exp body man , painters helper . painter , clean up guys , master of all (he gets the most unless he is the boss) hard to find somebody with a unlimited budget ready to spend 40 50 k in my part of the country. wes
Wes, I understand what you are saying in today's economy trying to find someone willing to fork out cash for a proper resto. But again look at the cars people pay the RING Brothers a million bucks to do.. To me they are nice but not quite my taste and its just a MONEY game. Blank check and have at it!

Heck, Its hard trying to afford to restore one doing all work yourself. If it was not for the love of restoring these slicks it would not even be a consideration. Until someone actually does it by them self they have no CLUE what it takes.

My favorite thing in the past while restoring is having the customer come to help HANDS ON so they know what it really takes. THen when its time for paint give them a SLIGHTLY lower price if THEY buy materials and the look on their face when they get that first bill from the paint store is PRICELESS!
Its the real only way to get it to sink in what it really takes.

Looking forward to see pics of your 65' Resto. r

Old 11-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Boss9F100
Backyard Project Manager
Originally Posted by kevin206 View Post
He's been in business for many years. That being said, he also does some insurance work. I dropped by one day while he was repairing a bumper cover and I think the fender also. He said it was a 4-6 hour job and he would profit about $600. He says one insurance job like that a week and he's more than happy. Cost of Living is pretty cheap here. I've been out of work for over two years and still making it fine from a few odd jobs and a meager savings.

As far as ruining the value, he will paint however you want to pay. He'll do an expensive job or a quicky. The quicky work he has done for me wasn't 100%, but more than expected for what I paid. And there doesn't seem to be much you can do to ruin the value of a 45 year old truck! It does boil down to what your final goal is. Most people can't tell the difference between a $50k restore and an $8k fixup and detail when it's driving down the road or even sitting in a grocery store parking lot.

I know people drive $30k cars off the lot every day for their daily drivers, but I'm not sure I could enjoy driving my old truck if I had that much in it.

It sounds like in your area people will work for food or 10-12.00 per hour yet this guy is making from 100-150.00 per HOUR but at the same time you tell us he paints complete vehicles for a few hundred $$. Something here is not adding up... The OMNI paint is the first clue of what kind of job people are getting.

J uses the term on a quiet night you can hear a chevy rusting. On that story it should be on a sunny day you can see the paint FADING!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 04:42 PM
tbm3fan
Postmaster
tbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to behold

Remember, many of the buyers at Barrett-Jackson have more money than brains...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cost to Restore 1966 F 100

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.