6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-03-2014, 08:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Cristina
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I'd bet that everyone has just gotten over it.

Just kidding. Nope still live with every day. I have actually learned to use it to my benifit. Since half of my comute is in 45 mph zones (rest is 55 and 65), I have learned to use the bounce as a speed checking device for me. If I am bouncing, I aint speeding in the 45!

Old 02-12-2015, 06:49 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Thom12
If I am bouncing, I aint speeding
priceless.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:20 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2000 4x4 still bounces at around 45. New tires and new shocks. All I can say is it has to be a design flaw.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:50 AM
farmalltx
New User
Thom12,
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have a 2009 2WD Crew w/ 67,000 miles. This week during a return trip towing my 32' trailer, I started experiencing the same issue. It never happened before and now it won't go away. It got worse once I dropped the trailer. I checked all the lugs. Ujoints and Carrier Bearing 'appear' ok. I'm going to get the tires spin-balanced just to confirm I didn't break a belt in one of the rear tires, but after reading through these threads, I'm concerned it's a gremlin I could chase for a while.

Appreciate any more insight!

Old 04-13-2015, 09:33 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
......and here I thought it was just the road as the vibration (shudder) appeared while decelerating on approach to a stop... Then I decided to take it down a really smooth road that they had just resurfaced last summer... I could make the shudder come and go easily from 40 to 45 MPH under light acceleration or deceleration....

I have not read all the posts here, but has anyone tried changing the pinion angle or raised the tailshaft of the transmission to see if it is an angle issue?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
......and here I thought it was just the road as the vibration (shudder) appeared while decelerating on approach to a stop... Then I decided to take it down a really smooth road that they had just resurfaced last summer... I could make the shudder come and go easily from 40 to 45 MPH under light acceleration or deceleration...
It might be time for a trip to the dealer, Randy. If you decide to get them involved, be sure to take your tech along for a test drive so you can demonstrate the vibration. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

Old 04-14-2015, 09:15 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This link is useless.
Ford F150 & F250 Bouncy Truck - Ford-Trucks

The problem as others have said is some sort of harmonic bounce that gets started. Mine almost always starts with a little bump in the road when I am running right at 45. My 2000 was doing this when I took it in and had new wheels/tires/shocks put on all at one time. Not to fix the bounce because it won't but because it needed it. I an getting ready to put about an additional 200 pounds of winch on the front to see if that changes the harmonic bounce of this thing. It is like a teeter totter. First the rear goes up, then then front, then the rear. Pretty soon the headlights look like basket ***** coming at you.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:38 AM
farmalltx
New User
I got lucky. Mine turned out to be busted belt in my left rear tire. New tire and I'm back in business.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
It might be time for a trip to the dealer, Randy. If you decide to get them involved, be sure to take your tech along for a test drive so you can demonstrate the vibration. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal
Yep... Just getting the time to visit them while the service shop is still working is the tough part...

Only 1600 miles and was purchased last August...
I've felt it before but like I said, I attributed it to bad road.. Until this time..
After having gone back and reading some of the posts in this thread, it sounds like something I better get used to - although I'm not really nutty about that idea...

Old 04-15-2015, 09:11 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Yep... Just getting the time to visit them while the service shop is still working is the tough part...

Only 1600 miles and was purchased last August...
I've felt it before but like I said, I attributed it to bad road.. Until this time..
After having gone back and reading some of the posts in this thread, it sounds like something I better get used to - although I'm not really nutty about that idea...
I hear ya, Randy. If you'd like me to escalate this to your regional customer service manager (CSM), just give me a shout via PM; I know they'd appreciate the opportunity to help smooth out your ride. Include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership in your message. I'll work my magic and get this into their hands.

Crystal

Old 01-30-2016, 11:20 PM
RV Wrench
New User
OK, first of all, I'll admit that I only read about half of the pages on this thread and skipped to the last two pages. Looks like no one is really getting any where with the fix on this.

I purchased a 2011 F250 CCLB 4x4 6.2l about 6 months ago, and here are my impressions of what is going on:

Core problem: frame flex/oscillation making the cab "bounce". The frame is so long between the wheels that it flexes and bounces. I cannot see Ford correcting this without major frame reinforcement, or designing taller frame rails between the axles. I run a canopy on mine, and can see the top rear of the cab come real close to the canopy as it bounces.

Contributing factors:
-tire pressure
-imbalanced wheels or drive shaft
-front shocks
-front springs
-cab mounts

Mine does not seem to oscillate on smooth roads, only when hitting bumps. For mine, I believe the primary contributing factor is the harsh front springs and shock valving. One time, I was going about 70 on the smooth highway and hit a bridge seam, that sent the cab into total reverberation for almost the entire length of the bridge. I believe this can be alleviated with the use of softer progressive rate springs and compression valving in the shocks that is much softer on the high speed damping.

Things I have done that effectively reduce the problem:
-run much lower air pressure in the tires. The ride difference is quite noticeable when you drop to around 50psi.
-loosen the top mount nut on the front shocks to the point that the rubber dampers are not crushed to hard, but still have no slack.
-Rancho RS9000 shocks set at 2 clicks in from full soft. I really wish Rancho would have done some actual real-world testing with these shocks on this rig. Even though they were an upgrade, I believe they are too harsh on high speed compression damping and too soft on the rebound. Unluckily, the adjuster adjusts both at the same time.
-load location. I found putting the weight at the front of the box is much better than the rear.

I have only heard from a few different people, but those that have lifted their rigs dont seem to have the cab shake problem. I am betting the lift kits use softer spring rates and better damped shocks.

I would bet that if Ford came out with softer cab mounts, better/softer front springs, and better shock damping we might see the issue go away.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:16 PM
afhanson72
New User
Originally Posted by RV Wrench
OK, first of all, I'll admit that I only read about half of the pages on this thread and skipped to the last two pages. Looks like no one is really getting any where with the fix on this.

I purchased a 2011 F250 CCLB 4x4 6.2l about 6 months ago, and here are my impressions of what is going on:

Core problem: frame flex/oscillation making the cab "bounce". The frame is so long between the wheels that it flexes and bounces. I cannot see Ford correcting this without major frame reinforcement, or designing taller frame rails between the axles. I run a canopy on mine, and can see the top rear of the cab come real close to the canopy as it bounces.

Contributing factors:
-tire pressure
-imbalanced wheels or drive shaft
-front shocks
-front springs
-cab mounts

Mine does not seem to oscillate on smooth roads, only when hitting bumps. For mine, I believe the primary contributing factor is the harsh front springs and shock valving. One time, I was going about 70 on the smooth highway and hit a bridge seam, that sent the cab into total reverberation for almost the entire length of the bridge. I believe this can be alleviated with the use of softer progressive rate springs and compression valving in the shocks that is much softer on the high speed damping.

Things I have done that effectively reduce the problem:
-run much lower air pressure in the tires. The ride difference is quite noticeable when you drop to around 50psi.
-loosen the top mount nut on the front shocks to the point that the rubber dampers are not crushed to hard, but still have no slack.
-Rancho RS9000 shocks set at 2 clicks in from full soft. I really wish Rancho would have done some actual real-world testing with these shocks on this rig. Even though they were an upgrade, I believe they are too harsh on high speed compression damping and too soft on the rebound. Unluckily, the adjuster adjusts both at the same time.
-load location. I found putting the weight at the front of the box is much better than the rear.

I have only heard from a few different people, but those that have lifted their rigs dont seem to have the cab shake problem. I am betting the lift kits use softer spring rates and better damped shocks.

I would bet that if Ford came out with softer cab mounts, better/softer front springs, and better shock damping we might see the issue go away.

Hope this helps.
I learned to live with it!

Old 01-31-2016, 11:35 PM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Frame stiffeners

It's a frame issue and it starts at the radius arm hangers on the frame rails. My truck hopped like wild at 40-42 mph. This is the solution guaranteed.

Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2016, 08:29 AM
ZooDad
Received 586 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by mhatlen
It's a frame issue and it starts at the radius arm hangers on the frame rails. My truck hopped like wild at 40-42 mph. This is the solution guaranteed.
Mhatlen
Is that a custom piece or...link please

Old 02-01-2016, 09:40 AM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's custom made for my truck. It's a 2006 this issue is not just the newer trucks it seems to go back as far as 1999.
The 6.7 has a few differences in design of the radius arm hangers and transmission crossmember is also a little different.

But this is the answer, truck also drives better it goes exactly where I point it and does not lean into turns like it did before.

Quick Reply: Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH