Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 11-03-2014, 09:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic

Last edit by: IB Cristina
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH

Old 11-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Senior User

sncbluegt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom12 View Post
I was with you all about the drive shafts being the culprit until yesterday when they changed both shafts and the carrier bearing as directed by the engineers. It did not change a thing. same vibs at the same speeds.

Called the dealer this morning and told them I want my truck for the long weekend and he informed me that Ford is sending down an engineering team next week to investigate.

At least they are not blowing it off (for now anyway) as the nature of the beast.

Thom
See this is what I like about Ford..as long as you have a dealer and tech that is willing to put the time into it..ford engineers will absolutely show up and figure it out..I had a deal a while ago on a 6.0 psd econoline that would just intermittently shut off. The engineer showed up and we got the owner there at the same time and we all went driving around for 2 full days until the van just shut off and we narrowed it down to the owners cell phone causing interferance with the ICP (instrument control panel) we put some "foil" type material around the ICP and the customer got a new phone and the problem never came back. Keep on it buddy!!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Senior User

Thom12 has a good reputation on FTE.Thom12 has a good reputation on FTE.Thom12 has a good reputation on FTE.
All this last week I thought I was waiting to hear when the engineers are coming to look at my truck. Service manager called me this afternoon and told me they are now ordering rear shocks and he will notify me when they are in so I can bring the truck back in (for the sixth time!).

Guess the engineers did not want to come down to the record cold snap we are expecting here tonight.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Senior User

sncbluegt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Shocks.............really????
Old 12-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Senior User

Adobe 11SD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thom12,

You didn't answer the question about having a cover or weight being placed in the bed. Harmonics are harmonics and there is nothing that you can do to change that, (my opinion) unless you change the "aerodynamics" or some other variable. Considering tire and drive train changes. Heck I would even try driving with the tailgate down, etc..

Maybe you just got a lemon???????
Old 12-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Elder User

Champ198 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I hope this doesn't sound like a smart alec, but I've ran with no weight, no fuel, full fuel, 5th wheel hitch (200 lbs + 100lb rails), nothing changes anything in my truck. It hops like crazy. Of course putting my 5th wheel camper on the bed changes the dynamic but I'm not going to drive around with a 5th wheel on my truck all the time. I'm also not going to accept that I have to put "weight" in the truck for it to not hop. Something isn't right with Thom's truck as well as my truck. Mine is going in tomorrow for a full days worth of experiments to figure it out. I have to be there at 7:30am at the dealer. I will keep everyone posted. The dealer I'm going to is very open to the fact that there is a problem with the truck and not a "characteristic" of the truck.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ198 View Post
I hope this doesn't sound like a smart alec, but I've ran with no weight, no fuel, full fuel, 5th wheel hitch (200 lbs + 100lb rails), nothing changes anything in my truck. It hops like crazy. Of course putting my 5th wheel camper on the bed changes the dynamic but I'm not going to drive around with a 5th wheel on my truck all the time. I'm also not going to accept that I have to put "weight" in the truck for it to not hop. Something isn't right with Thom's truck as well as my truck. Mine is going in tomorrow for a full days worth of experiments to figure it out. I have to be there at 7:30am at the dealer. I will keep everyone posted. The dealer I'm going to is very open to the fact that there is a problem with the truck and not a "characteristic" of the truck.

Champ, you do not sound like a "smart alec". I for one appreciate the feedback.

My point, although poorly expressed, is that more data points are only going to help solve the problem for anyone that has a similar problem.

There can be many reasons that only a few trucks have the similar problem.
As the owner of a consulting company that does 100% of my business with Exxon, Shell, Motiva, Yokogawa, Honeywell, BP, etc. I can tell you that there are unseen contributors for most problems that exists in engineering.

I apologize if I offended you!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Elder User

Randy, no prob bro. I feel like my truck is a piece of doo-doo right now and I live with it doing this every day. I don't want to drive it anymore its so bad. At least help is on the way tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Senior User

Thom12 has a good reputation on FTE.Thom12 has a good reputation on FTE.Thom12 has a good reputation on FTE.
Adobe,
I have had 10-80lb bags of concrete in the bed and it was the same, exactly 43 MPH it bounces so bad it gets your belly shaking. Go 45 and its like someone turns off a switch, stops instantly. Does the same when decreasing speed down from 60, hit 43 and hold on, smooths out at exactly 40.
I do not have a cover on my truck, almost alwayss have my factory 5'er hitch installed (about 140lbs).
I will try with the tail gate down in the morning.

Champ, I had often wondered if it was the 5'er hitch causing the problem, but you said you have rails with yours so I am assuming (ya... I know) that yours is not the factory hitch so that makes a differance in our hitches.

Last edited by Thom12; 12-01-2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: added comment about hitch.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Elder User

Thom12, I have the Reese OEM underbed rails installed. These are the same rails Ford installs at the plant. When these were installed, we followed the instructions and torqued down every bolt to spec. I have the short bed so I couldn't order the underbed rails from the plant back in July. I have the Reese 18k slider hitch. The truck "hopped" before this was installed.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Elder User

Update: 12-2-2010. Thom12 has been keeping folks posted so I will do the same.

I took my truck to the purchasing dealer. I had to take a day off to do it. Unlike the local dealers in my area, my dealer began an immediate and methodical approach to determining the issue.

I had made arrangements to be there at 7:30am and they assigned their best tech to be dedicated to me and my truck today. Today was "me" day. The tech and I took the truck for a ride first thing and it exhibited the hop right on queue at 49-51 mph.

They first roadforce balanced the tires. They told me that the tires were out of balance and they threw some road force terms and measurements at me which flew right over my head. They said Ford would want to know these numbers in their first communication. After they Hunter road force machine balanced the tires/wheels, we took the truck back out. Right on queue, hop at 49-51 mph.

They were emailing Ford tech support to get feedback. As a side note, the dealership tech told me that they used to call back and sit on hold forever waiting on the Ford tech folks for instructions. Currently, they get almost immediate feedback via email. They are very happy with Ford's extremely fast response to issues on the 6.7.

Ford told them to begin switching out wheels/tires and to find a known good set. They had an '11 250 6.7 on the lot with 20" wheels they borrowed wheels from. After several iterations of tire/wheel swapping and several test rides, the hop did not go away. It was the same as before. In fact, my existing tires actually rode better than the new ones they put on. (added: I ended up with two new tires on the front. They said two of my tires were better on road force that what they had and they gave me two new tires off a new truck or out of tire stock. I got the best four tires/wheels that road force balanced with the best roadforce number)

After this did not remove the hop, they moved to the drive shaft. They pulled the drive shaft off of the new truck and put it on my truck. They put my drive shaft on the new truck. The tech made several test drives to "index" the driveline (not sure what that means). It did not exhibit the harsh hop at 49-51 mph with the new (borrowed) drive shaft, although there was a very slight hop felt as we went up a grade but it was very tolerable. The service mgr took the new truck out for a test drive with my current drive shaft and it immediately exhibited the "hop". This validated the fact that the drive shaft was suspect.

They are ordering me a new driveshaft. They mentioned something about run out and they weren't happy with what they saw. Also, they found that a hydroboost part under the dash was leaking fluid down onto the driver side rubber floor mat. They are ordering that part as well.

The service manager noted that when the new shaft comes in that they'll go back to work. He said there may be something else in the drive line that they need to address because it could be more than just the drive shaft but the drive shaft was a big piece in the puzzle. They are dedicated to getting rid of the "hop". During the day today, the dealership owner kept checking their progress. He was pretty serious about doing whatever it took.

While I'm not out of the woods as of today, we're making very fast progress. There is finally hope and I now have a very positive outlook.

I'll let everyone know more in a few days. I hope Thom12 does as well.

Last edited by Champ198; 12-03-2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added more info to post
Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Senior User

Champ,
Outstand for you! I know it's not cured but it looks like you are on your way.

It sure looks like Ford tech support is following the same play book for troubleshooting this. Your dealership has done in one day what it has taken me five visits to get to the same point. The only differance is the drive shafts and bearing did not inprove mine.
I am still waiting on word when the new shocks will be in... they only have tommorow before I have to go to Norfolk on business for a week.

I am truely happy for you!

Thom
Old 12-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom12 View Post
Champ,
Outstand for you! I know it's not cured but it looks like you are on your way.

It sure looks like Ford tech support is following the same play book for troubleshooting this. Your dealership has done in one day what it has taken me five visits to get to the same point. The only differance is the drive shafts and bearing did not inprove mine.
I am still waiting on word when the new shocks will be in... they only have tommorow before I have to go to Norfolk on business for a week.

I am truely happy for you!

Thom
Thom - did you try lowering the tailgate today? The reason for asking is that after I thought about it today, it dawned on me that if your truck shook violently at 43 MPH then you might leave it on the road.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Senior User

Randy,
Yes I tried that today for the 28 miles to work... and once I got in town and had to slow down, the bounce was still there and so was my tailgate.... thanks for your concern
Old 12-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Senior User

No problem my friend.

I'm just trying to help and sincerely hope that you get this figured out.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Senior User

My service manager called last night and told me the new shocks are in and they wanted my truck today because the engineer would be available also. I am on travel so I asked my wife to drop it off. She tried but ran into a problem and was running late to work and went to work instead. The dealership sent someone to her work and picked up the truck from there.... I was impressed.

At 5 this afternoon, the service manager called me to say they got the shocks changed and were delivering the truck back to my wife. Again I was impressed.

The impressed feelings quickly subsided when I asked what the engineer found. After the shocks were changed they tested it for about 3 hours (based on my calculations of how long it takes to change shocks and pickup and delivery times, I don't know the actual test drive time) and the engineer has deemed it as the nature of the long bed beast and they can't do any thing else to fix it. He assured me that if Ford releases any TSB on a fix for it he will let me know and do what ever is required.
He could not answer why no body else is reporting this problem to him, no did he have a response when I told him that only two other members of this website have said they have the problem too, and one of these two that I know of has a short bed!

Cory (FSC) your department can expect a long letter from me when I return home this weekend. I am not impressed any more!
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->