1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Flathead 337 into an F-1

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 08:19 AM
49fordF-1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flathead 337 into an F-1

Tell me please if I am crazy....
Does anybody know if and old flathead 337 will fit into my 1949 Ford F-1? The distributor is in the rear and I'm not sure about the clearance. Also, It has a 5 speed overdrive trans that is still bolted to the engine I would like to use as well, but again I'm not sure if this will go right in to the F-1 without a major headache. Both engine and tans. workgood.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls --> <!-- / controls -->

Old 11-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Dang this is gonna be an interesting post. When it comes to these trucks, apparently there is nothing that is really crazy. People put monster engines in these trucks. I can't wait to hear the responses. Here's a handful of threads about the 337, but nobody really addresses it being placed into an F1.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-flathead.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...s-to-life.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...addiction.html

And welcome aboard by the way. I swear some of these guys would try to put a jet engine in these trucks if they could. So you're definitely not crazy.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:26 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Here's my thoughts, which is common sense speculation, not necessarily proven facts, but here goes.

The cab and firewall is the same for F-1's as it is for all the bigger, standard-style cab trucks. So the firewall depression should be adequate for clearance on the rear dist of the 337, since that engine was used in the larger, F-5 and 6 trucks.

The front frame mounts could be an issue, since they may set the engine at a different level in the truck than what was used on the F-1. The trans; no way will that fit without changing the transmission crossmember to one from a big truck that will accomodate the 5 speed, which is what leads me to believe the front engine mounts would sit lower on the big truck than the half ton.

None of these things are insurmountable, though. It sounds like an interesting project, and I say go for it.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:55 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I'll play the contrarian... The 337 is a total pig of a engine (however lovable it may be to us flathead loyalists), weighs about the same as a Cummins diesel. It makes a little more power and torque than a 239 flathead, but with relatively minor mods, the "little" flattie will kick its butt. Parts for 337's don't exactly grow on trees, and there is very little hop-up equipment out there. That 5-sp trans won't fit without removing the cab and replacing the crossmember, an ugly job. With all that extra weight (I'd estimate between engine and trans, at least 500 lbs increase) the frame and suspension would need to be upgraded.

The 5-sp OD trans is probably worth a fair amount to the Big Truck guys, sell it and use the money to pay for your project. Just my opinion... You can of course do as you please!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:24 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I agree with everything Ross said. The 337 is basically the same as the Lincoln 377 but has some different internals for pulling torque and parts are next to impossible to find and less for Hi-Po. If you planning on mainly show, no go then go for it. It would be unique to see a big flatty in a half ton.

One more factor to consider, the F-7 and F-8 front sheet metal is also a bit longer than the smaller trucks, I assume to accomdate the larger engine. There might be a fitment issue lengthwise.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:26 PM
49fordF-1
Junior User
Great info ya'll!! I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm pretty much sitting on the fence on this one hoping I don't fall the wrong way and get in over my head. The main reason i'm looking at this 337 is that its complete, running, ready to go as well as the 5 spd. trans. My truck currently has a 302 with a C6 trans. I'd REALLY like an 8BA but I am having a bit of trouble finding one comlpete or one that runs at all. I can get the 337, trans. radiator, motor mounts and all the fixins for around $800. or so. Decisions, decisions....... BTW, exactly how hard is it to take a cab off? Mine is currently gutted with the exeption of the steering column.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:44 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
They're fairly easy to take. There's only six mounting points. Taking the steering column completely off will make it a lot easier because the hardest part taking the cab off is being able to raise it high enough to clear everything. Also if you haven't already, take the pedal assembly out too. Very good chance the cab will hang up on the pedals when you're at the highest point and you'll have finagle around them.

You can do it your self, I've done it many times but you'll need the help of either a forklift, my preferred way, or a high beam or tree limb and good winch of some sort. Better yet buy a case of cold beverages and invite some friend over, four with a couple of long 2X4s, will take the cab right off. Suggestion, keep the beverages in the frig until the job is done.

Another suggestion, post your location on your post in the upper right corner. Doing will let everyone know where you're located and you never know, some one on the board might live in your area and you'd have found at least one of the friends.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:06 PM
49fordF-1
Junior User
Ha ha haaaaa. . . Great info! I like your way of thinking, the cold beverages sounds like the best bet! My buddy down the road a ways will do pretty much anything for a cold one. The pedals are already out, The previous owner mounted a brake booster on the firewall, I dismantled that too. Going back to original on brakes as well. I'll check into the steering column. I'm in no real hurry to get this done I suppose, just gotta gather the right info..... I appreciate all your help!

Old 11-12-2010, 11:21 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I scanned this for a guy on the HAMB tonight and thought I'd throw it in here for reference:

Old 11-13-2010, 08:47 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Having thought long and hard about how to put a 337 into an F-2, I'd love to see someone do this. In addition to the radiator, try to get as much of the radiator specific parts as you can (the air dam in the hood, fan shroud, any radiator to inner fender baffles, etc). When I measered out my 337 and engine compartment, I came to the conclusion that the motor would fit, but be tight. I don't think there will be room to run a stock fan. You will have to make your own front motor mount adapters. I tooked to me like you can use the 337 passenger car pumps and make heavy duty spacer / adapeters to go from the stock flathead mount location to the Lincoln pump location. I don't think any frame cutting is necessary in the engine compartment to make this work. I never started down this road since I don't have a radiator for the 337 or any of the associated sheet metal. I say go for it and have fun.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:44 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
38 coupe, just curious, did you start out with a truck equipped with a V8 or 6? The reason I'm asking is that these trucks came with two radiator positions. One for the V8 closer to the firewall and farther forward for the 6. Would the 6 arrangement allow for the bigger V8? I don't know, just wondering.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
At one point I had both a V8 truck and a 6 cyl. truck. I have never gotten to measure a radiator from a F-7 or F-8. I don't know if they will fit into the same place at the front of the engine compartment as the F-1 through F-6 6 cyl. radiators. I would love to see a picture of one with measurements including mounting holes. I don't think a stock 239 V8 radiator will do an adequate job of cooling a 337. If I remember the difference listed in the shop manual, it is 24 quarts for the "small" V8 to 37 quarts for the 337.

If you have access to all the parts I would love to see pictures of them. My plan was to use a Lincoln 337 (because that is what I could find and now have), a T98 synchro 4, and a Warn overdrive. I never got all the parts together and I think I am just going to install another good 8BA I have.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:38 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I pondered it, and may still try it, if I ever get my uncle's other truck home. But it would only be for curiosity sake. Here's a crude pic of the engine filling up the bay, and the bigger radiator.

Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Senior User
I would suggest before even measuring for size, get 3 150lb people and have 2 sit on your front fenders and 1 stand on your front bumper. See how low the frontend goes. This would be about equal to the extra weight the 337 and 5 speed will bring to the table.

An 8BA flathead is about 570 lbs, I think a dressed 337 is close to 900lbs, plus I'm guessing another 100lbs or so of extra transmission weight.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:42 PM
49fordF-1
Junior User
Thanks for all the great info guys! The 337 ended on ebay at just over 300 bucks! I didn't bid, I pretty much chickened out. If I had my own nachine shop and was a little more than novice I may have taken on the project. As of now, I will keep looking for an 8BA and trans, which is what I was looking for when I tripped over this 337 on ebay. I'll be looking for a few things for this project I will need. The hardest will be the original motor mount steel. The previous owner cut out the originals to drop in the 302. If anyone knows of any please let me know, otherwise I'll keep an eye out pretty much everywhere for these.

Quick Reply: Flathead 337 into an F-1