1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Is is worh the expense?? I need help deciding...

Old 11-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Shoob36
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is is worh the expense?? I need help deciding...

Okay...I need help from everyone out there. I have been arguing (discussing) with my wife as to whether to retire my truck and try to get a new one, or try to fix all of the problems that I currently have. So first here are the details of the truck:

1997 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4

Current (known) problems:

1. Needs an entire new front end. Have put it off for a while and keep wearing out tires. Now faced with needing tire again. Quote for tires and complete front-end replacement, with alignment: $1500

2. A/C not blowing cold. It is not that is it low on freon (or coolant) as when I hooked up the refiill can with a pressure gauge on it, there was no room to add coolant. Cost to inspect/repair: Unknown.

3. Load leveling suspension. Been chasing this one for a while. Air compressor seems to constantly run. Replaced both front air shocks and Rear air bags. Truck doesn't fall if switch at passenger kick plate is shut off. However, the compressor seem to run almost continuosly when truck is running. Not even sure where to start with this one. Ideas???

4. Engine issues. Initially had a multiple mis fire on multiple plugs error. Changed boots and then it boiled down to number three. Changed the COP on #3..all seemed fine for about two days...then the shimmy at 45mph started again. I am thinking there might be a leak that is dripping into the #3 ciol and causing it to short...but I am not sure.

5. Other small things I can live with. Rear fold out windows no longer working. Odometer stopped working a while ago...but I guess that could be a good thing.

The rough trade-in value for a truck in this condition is about $1900. Its hard to get financing on an older car if I were to look at 2004-2006 with high mileage. New trucks are in the 25K+ range...which I am not ready to take on.

So...what would you all do?? If you had no access to a lift and only had your driveway...a decent set of Craftsman tools, a few manuals, and this website?? If I tried to repair, would I be throwing money down a hole? Or should I take the money I would be spending to repair and use it as a down payment on a newer vehicle?

As always, your opinions and comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM
etewald
Senior User
I'd say first you need to diagnose everything so you can make an informed decision.

Just because there is no room for freon in the system doesn't mean an AC servicing will not fix the problem. When you take it in, they remove and refill all the freon the system holds. It could very well solve your problem.

Definitely diagnose the engine problems. That would be the deciding factor for me, if not for the sole reason of potentially being very evpensive to fix.

Eric

Old 11-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote=Shoob36;9546078]Okay...I need help from everyone out there. I have been arguing (discussing) with my wife as to whether to retire my truck and try to get a new one, or try to fix all of the problems that I currently have. So first here are the details of the truck:

1997 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4

Current (known) problems:

1. Needs an entire new front end. Have put it off for a while and keep wearing out tires. Now faced with needing tire again. Quote for tires and complete front-end replacement, with alignment: $1500

Take a close look at the suspension components and identify the parts that are obviously worn then go to Advance or some other auto parts site and find the parts you need and the cost. Remember that specialty tools can be loaned from some of these stores with a deposit. You will need special tools for things like ball joints. Do your best to put the front end back to the same settings that they were before you started so you can drive it to the alignment shop. Put your new tires on after the alignment.

2. A/C not blowing cold. It is not that is it low on freon (or coolant) as when I hooked up the refiill can with a pressure gauge on it, there was no room to add coolant. Cost to inspect/repair: Unknown.

If the HVAC only blows hot you most likely have a blend door problem that is pretty common on all Fords of this era. Do a search for blend door problems and repairs. The repair is not real easy but it is doable.

3. Load leveling suspension. Been chasing this one for a while. Air compressor seems to constantly run. Replaced both front air shocks and Rear air bags. Truck doesn't fall if switch at passenger kick plate is shut off. However, the compressor seem to run almost continuosly when truck is running. Not even sure where to start with this one. Ideas???

You will have to look for leaks at all of the air line connections. It could be as simple as a leaky o-ring at a solenoid. There is also the inline connector that is over the steering shaft between the steering box and the firewall that is prone to fail, 5 minutes and under $30.00 for the part to fix it. Part number 2L1Z-5B322-AA. There is also an air line near the battery box the sweems to have problems, either due to chafing or battery acid.

4. Engine issues. Initially had a multiple mis fire on multiple plugs error. Changed boots and then it boiled down to number three. Changed the COP on #3..all seemed fine for about two days...then the shimmy at 45mph started again. I am thinking there might be a leak that is dripping into the #3 ciol and causing it to short...but I am not sure.

Get something to cover it, like a piece of an old inner tube. If it stays fixed you have found the problem, for a while at least.

5. Other small things I can live with. Rear fold out windows no longer working. Odometer stopped working a while ago...but I guess that could be a good thing.

Windows; check your fuses and wires. It could be a bad ground.

Speed sensor on the tranmission.

The rough trade-in value for a truck in this condition is about $1900. Its hard to get financing on an older car if I were to look at 2004-2006 with high mileage. New trucks are in the 25K+ range...which I am not ready to take on.

So...what would you all do?? If you had no access to a lift and only had your driveway...a decent set of Craftsman tools, a few manuals, and this website?? If I tried to repair, would I be throwing money down a hole? Or should I take the money I would be spending to repair and use it as a down payment on a newer vehicle?

Get out there and start working on it! It's not as much fun as watching football but, it's a lot less painful than getting another job to make the payments on a new(er) truck.

As always, your opinions and comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Good luck with it and let us know of your progress. The front end should be first. Think safety.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mel is right, ALL of these problems are easily repairable by a guy in his driveway with a decent set of tools and internet access.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:40 PM
97ExpGuy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First things first. Consider other factors in repairing this vehicle: Engine mileage? Rust on body? Etc. Overall, is this Expedition worth repairing? How long do you plan on keeping it? You have a 13 year old vehicle just as I do. I plan on keeping mine for some time to come - at least till the wheels fall off.

But to answer your questions:

Originally Posted by Shoob36
You have some work ahead of you here. If you are going to make it right, do it all while your there. Brakes, ball joints, tie rods, shocks, etc. I don't have a ball park figure but it won't be cheap but slightly expensive.

I don't mess with HVAC systems. Let a professional diagnose/fix it. If it is the blend door, add $$$ to your repair estimate because it requires removal of the dash unless you do the HeaterTreater treatment and cut out the plenum box with a dremel tool.

Personally, I wouldn't even screw with the air bag system. I've read nothing but issues with the system. I'd replace the bags with stock coil springs and be done with it.

The absolute best thing you could is add new injectors, coil packs, and plugs. This will run you $300 ish if you use remanufactured fuel injectors. I got mine off Ebay - 10k miles w/o any problems. The drip might be from the hose above cylinder 3 as you indicated. You might also be looking at new hoses and a radiator flush so add some more $$$.

Here's the thing. If you let a shop fix all of this, you have at least (my guess) $3k in repairs.

This is only a question you can answer. If you repair the truck, will you keep it long enough to make the repairs worth the cost OR look for another decent vehicle that will cost about the same. I don't want to sound rude, so please don't take this the wrong way, but I get a sense this vehicle has been neglected for some time and to make it right at this point will cost some major money. And don't forget about time either. How much time do you have on your hands to be able to fix the truck?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Shoob36
Freshman User
Thanks for the honest response. The only thing that has been neglected has been the front end not being aligned. I have done my best to keep up with the issues with this truck. It has some serious mileage on it. I have done most of the repairs my self rangiing from Electronic Transfer Case Motor replacement, air compressor replacement (2x), rear air bags and shocks, front air shocks, alternator, etc. The air leak I have been chasing for a while...replacing parts where everyone said the problems would be. Everytime something goes wrong I fix it...or at least try to. I must admit I was a bit intimidated by the whole front-end thing. Someone posted the step-by-step directions and I guess I didn't have enough faith in my mechanical skills to do it all without a lift. I too would like to drive this car untill the wheels fall off. I have always said that I would drive the car until something broke that I couldn't fix (or was not worth fixing).

As for the time allowed to spend on fixing the truck...well as long as I need I guess. I am a software developer who has a cool boss that will allow me to work form home. (until my truck is fixed anyway) I just need to fix everything before Christmas or my wife will probably divorce me.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. Based on all of the responses, I am going to have someone (a professional) take a look at it and give me a good and hopefully honest estimate.

I will then make a decision from there. Better to keep the car that I know than buy someone else's problem.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Tim

Old 11-11-2010, 07:01 PM
RoyalWitCheese
New User
I recently went through this. I would say fix it. (the cost of parts is fairly cheap, if you do the work)

First of all to fix your Front End problems and your air ride problems.

Conversion kit - (Does front and rear) - $227 - Requires Jack, Jackstands, basic hand tools.

After installing that, you'll be 1/3 the way done the "Total Front Replacement"

While you're doing the front conversion install new Ball joints ($30 (both sides) + rent/borrow the removal/install tool) install new swaybar links ($12 both sides)

If Brake Job is required - Rotors ($52 for 2) Pads ($25 for 2)

Price so far - $346 (plus shipping)

Tires - Check local classified ads or tire shops (for take offs) $??
Alignment cost - $??

As for the AC - Roll windows down or take that in and get an itemized estimate. Either have them do it, or replace the parts yourself and have them "Service it" (test and charge system) Price - $??

I'm guessing you'll be under $2000 for the entire fix-up.

Last but not least - make these 2 websites your parts places.

Hopefully linking is allowed (I couldn't find it in the FAQ's)

RockAuto - Cheapest but have to pay for shipping
AutoPartsWarehouse - A bit more expensive but usually free shipping, plus discounts if you sign up for their newsletter <--do that first it can save you up to 15%

And always check FTE, best information site with some of the most helpful people out there.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 PM
LBF
Senior User
97 F150 XLT

My '97 has about 130k miles, and I recently spent $800 on a new A/C compresser and over $1600 on suspension repair. A new truck is waaay to expensive.