Notices

Looking at getting a Raptor, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:01 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking at getting a Raptor, few questions

Me and my dad are thinking about buying a raptor here locally, shipping it to mexico, meeting the truck there, and from there driving it all the way through central and south america to Peru, Peru is where my father is from so this will be our ending point, and there we will sell the truck and head back to the states. we plan to use the Raptor to it'll fullest potentials, and we will be taking thousands of photos, so if we go through with our trip, i will be posting them on here and sending them to Ford to use to promote the Raptor. Our trip will be several thousand miles long, and we will be stoping at every mud pit, sand dune, any thing to test the raptor.

here come the questions, Is there a supercharger kit our for the 6.2? We have our eyes set on getting the 6.2. (yes i know the 5.4 has been discontinued)

anyone have any experience getting stuck with the bfg's?

whats the lowest gearing the Raptor offers? And can you get e-lockers with it?

We will probably be putting a topper on it, and set up two beds on top of each other for us to sleep in, and probably be pulling a trailer, with ATV"S. So hows this beast tow? In comparison to a super duty like im used to??

Thanks

Old 11-10-2010, 03:44 PM
KaiserM715
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lakewood
here come the questions, Is there a supercharger kit our for the 6.2? We have our eyes set on getting the 6.2. (yes i know the 5.4 has been discontinued)

anyone have any experience getting stuck with the bfg's?

whats the lowest gearing the Raptor offers? And can you get e-lockers with it?

We will probably be putting a topper on it, and set up two beds on top of each other for us to sleep in, and probably be pulling a trailer, with ATV"S. So hows this beast tow? In comparison to a super duty like im used to?
I know there are a couple of supercharger kits in the works (I know Procharger is working on one for sure), but I have not heard of anything ready to ship.

There are several guys who have gotten stuck in the mud with the stock tires. They load up with mud pretty easily. If you think you are going to hit even moderate mud, I would look for some mud tires.

Currently, the Raptor is offered with 4.10's with no other options. An Eaton E-locker comes in the rear from the factory. There are some aftermarket solutions for the front.

It is rated to tow 6000 lbs and I have know of folks who tow 8000 regularly. A trailer with a couple of ATVs should not be a problem. The cargo rating is 900+ lbs, which you may easily exceed, depending on the equipment / supplies you plan on packing. As far as sleeping in the back goes, keep in mind the bed is only 5.5 feet long...

Old 11-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Huck BB62
Senior User
Originally Posted by KaiserM715
I know there are a couple of supercharger kits in the works (I know Procharger is working on one for sure), but I have not heard of anything ready to ship.

There are several guys who have gotten stuck in the mud with the stock tires. They load up with mud pretty easily. If you think you are going to hit even moderate mud, I would look for some mud tires.

Currently, the Raptor is offered with 4.10's with no other options. An Eaton E-locker comes in the rear from the factory. There are some aftermarket solutions for the front.

It is rated to tow 6000 lbs and I have know of folks who tow 8000 regularly. A trailer with a couple of ATVs should not be a problem. The cargo rating is 900+ lbs, which you may easily exceed, depending on the equipment / supplies you plan on packing. As far as sleeping in the back goes, keep in mind the bed is only 5.5 feet long...
I'm not sure a supercharger'd what I'd want on an expedition vehicle, just something else to break. You seriously need more power than the 6.2!? Dude, the roads are crap down there, anytime you break 60mph is a good day! Seriously, the stock 6.2's an animal. If I wanted more power, I'd have it modified for a quick 500hp upgrade like the race vehicle, no turbo or supercharger to worry about.

One thing that's going to strike you quickly is the Raptor's extra width. Mine has neat pin striping! (oh well)

I'm thinkin' if I were building an expedition vehicle, it'd be on a new F250. Don't get me wrong, I love my Raptor. It's just I think it's not the ideal vehicle for a long heavy trip.

People are towing a lot with Raptors but a load leveling hitch is the key, something that will NOT work for long on harsh terrain. You'll want a pintle hitch setup and that won't allow a Raptor to tow heavy loads. The suspension is just too soft.

Keep us posted!

Old 11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
mikebob
Junior User
Supercharger would be a nogo! pemex fuel will not support the tunning required for the full potential of the supercharged engine.

I would go buy a legal class 8 truck which will be much more capable than the Raptor specifically since your going to sell in such a short time.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:37 PM
mdr617
Elder User
First sautie the chopped onions, adding the peppers while stirring. Then you can ,mix in the steak