tow vehicle for a 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:20 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tow vehicle for a 5th wheel

YouTube - 1974 Volkswagen Beetle & Camper - road test
The rear springs sag a bit, and I wouldn't want to tow that thing in windy weather (probably it's not road legal, anyhow) but it looks cute, and it's definitely very maneuverable.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder how many of those exist...

I think you just found another bucket-list item for me

Old 02-08-2011, 12:37 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They made those style hitches for many cars back in the late 60's and very early 70's - from the VW up to caddys. Yes, they were, and are legal. Although I have not seen one in use in 30 years or better now.

Remember at one time trucks were rather crude uncomfortable vehicles that at best, sat three people, not so good for a family!

For research, look at vintage rv mags of the time period.. you will be amazed at what was dne at one time to make passenger cars fifth wheel tow vehicles. One ad shows much the same, but it is a full size GM sedan backing (or should I say forwards) the trailer into a spot

David

Old 02-08-2011, 05:10 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the trailer were made for a full size vehicle (like the '71 LTD I had with a 429) -- I'd say it's fine, and makes some sense, but for an under 2000 lbs, 60 or so HP vehicle...

Old 02-08-2011, 05:38 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by aurgathor
If the trailer were made for a full size vehicle (like the '71 LTD I had with a 429) -- I'd say it's fine, and makes some sense, but for an under 2000 lbs, 60 or so HP vehicle...
You do have to wonder, but they also made lightweight 5th's for older small pickups like the Ford Courier.

They were generaly not much longer than 17' or so, and built very lightly, much lighter than today, and some of the amenities that we take for granted today just were not availble to keep the weight down. One that was reviewed back in the day had a small ice box, no hot water and a 5 gallon water tank. Porta potty was it, along with no grey water tank. You were expected to run a hose to a bucket to catch the run off.

Suprisingly light so constructed, and towable with mixed results behind some pretty low powered vehicles.

BUT THEN, I have a 1970 C600 dump truck which has a little 330 cid gas engine, and that little gas engine is expected to move 32k of weight, which it does, but loaded on a steep hill I am down to single diigits. And this was prefectly acceptable 40 years ago, now we expect to flyover any hill, any grade at, above or just below the speed limit. OUR ecpectations have changed as well. Me? I don't expect anythig more out of the Cseries than I did when it was new, so I sit back, relax, put a cup of coffee on.... and stay to the right and out of the way as much as possible.

I am prefectly content running a vehicle as hard as it will go, but I do take exception to those who need enough power to go 150mph, but won't get out / go faster than 50 mph in the left lane. Keep right except to pass!

Back then you had semi's with 175 - 250 hp crawling up the mountain passes at 25 mph at best as well, and this to was deemed acceptable. Of course by todays standards now all I hear is everyone is afraid of getting run down... which I call BS on. It is pretty hard to happen if you are in the right lane, four ways on and paying attention. Yes you are going to get those that run right up on you, but who cares, they won't stay back ther long, although I will admit that those that do that, that are oblivious to a slow moving vehicle, are willing to create a dangerous situation due there own stupidity are plain obnoxious.

Interesting, looking at yesterdays stuff from todays perspectives...

David

Old 02-09-2011, 12:18 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's pretty neat. I had no idea they made something like that. Would love to have that maneuverability!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:57 PM
rob188
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sure as hell would make parking a lot easier, but what about the sway on that thing? trailers gotta be twice maybe 3 times the wait, going down the highway and hitting a cross wind would topple it? would it not?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rob188
It sure as hell would make parking a lot easier, but what about the sway on that thing? trailers gotta be twice maybe 3 times the wait, going down the highway and hitting a cross wind would topple it? would it not?
Those older fifths were also built very low, not a lot of ground clearance and definatly short inside for anyone over 6'.

I would imagine that they were somewhat tippy though in cross winds, just like today a unloaded 53' semi trailer is in high cross winds.

With less horsepower available in the majority of the "standard" trcks, cars and other tow vehicles of the time, you didn't have people out in the left lane towing at 75 mph or faster - instead they traveled slower so there was more time to react to things like sway. People seemed to understand better back then that you could not tow and still keep up with a passenger car, that it just was not safe to do so, even if you had the horsepower.

Remember, judge by the standards then, when looking at things that were built back then. You simply cannot compare what we did in the past by todays standards and rules. Different time, different rules.... and in some cases SOME people had a lot more common sense.

The majority, but not all knew when to pull of the road and wait, nowdays it seems more prevelant that it is hurry up and press on regardless of the conditions....

Just further ramblings - David