1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How many starter revolutions is normal for a cold start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:17 AM
F250_JR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many starter revolutions is normal for a cold start?

So I've been driving my truck a good bit the past few days, and I have a question now. Every single time I start it cold, it takes 6-8 revolutions to start. It doesn't hesitate, it just turns over for a little longer than my dad's truck. Does this seem normal, or a little off?

I am guessing the starter might be getting a little tired and that's why it takes a while to start? I'm changing the oil and starting to use additive in the next week or so, and I'm hoping I may see a little improvement from that.

Any other ideas about why it's taking so many revolutions?

Old 11-04-2010, 07:39 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Mine takes about 4 revolutions but it has done that the whole time I have had it.I would not put any additive in the oil if that is what you are thinking.Additive(Diesel Kleen or others)in the fuel is o.k.
Some get faster starts using synthetic oil but it is quite a bit higher in price.
How old are your batteries?Cables clean?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Battery conditions, cable connections, usage/wear and tear by the previous owner (if it was a work truck and started a lot like mine), GPR and GP health, oil condition can all play a part in the starting cycle. It doesn't sound too far off on your cranking.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Change the oil and drive it a bit, that always helps.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 AM
santacruzf250
Elder User
I'm in the same boat with you, probably 6 turns. I like to clean up my battery connections every once in a while to make sure they're good.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IIRC your Dad has a high torque starter in his truck, That will make a difference as well. Make sure your battery cables and terminals are clean as said before. Use Noalox on them after cleaning.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by megawatt00
IIRC your Dad has a high torque starter in his truck, That will make a difference as well. Make sure your battery cables and terminals are clean as said before. Use Noalox on them after cleaning.
Ah, that will do it too!

Old 11-04-2010, 04:02 PM
F250_JR
Senior User
AHHH forgot about my dad's "special" starter. I had thought it might be differeng, but I couldn't remember. At least some of y'all probably know my dad's truck better than I do though haha. Well, that does make me feel a little better. I figured my truck wasn't too far off right now, but I wanted to make sure it was ok.

According to the previous owner, the batteries are under 6 months old, and they look new. I am going to be changing the oil and checking connections over Thanksgiving break though. I may also inspect the GPR while I'm working on it. Thanks for the input guys! I feel better about it now.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Where can one go about getting the high torque starter instead of the normal starter? Mine is a little sickly so I would like to at least weigh that option?

Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I gotmine from db electric. I haven't had any problems with mine, but lately i've heard of a few people that aren't happy with theirs. In hindsight i don't think id mail order a starter because if it does go out you have to wait for a new one to arrive.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:08 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by spdmpo
I gotmine from db electric. I haven't had any problems with mine, but lately i've heard of a few people that aren't happy with theirs. In hindsight i don't think id mail order a starter because if it does go out you have to wait for a new one to arrive.
The thing to do is keep the old starter and have it on standy. I replaced mine a little proactively, so the OE unit will do in a pinch. I'll probably have it rebuilt soon, though, so I know I have a hot spare for any one our vehicles.

We just put Benjamin's 6637 on a little while ago and his connections are not good. They are at least clean for now, but he needs to replace the cable lugs.