1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford F250 V10 Extended Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:56 PM
slogan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford F250 V10 Extended Warranty Question

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and looking at buying a '05 F250 with V10. I have read many forums and posts regarding the durability and reliability of the V10 but have a question. The Ford dealer is offering an extended warranty with this truck and I was wondering if it is really worth it. I know that "peace of mind" typically has a price tag but the warranty that is not exactly bumper to bumper but much more than a power train warranty is about $1900 for a 24 month 24000 mile period. Is this a complete waste of money or should I just bite the bullet and take it? I have thought that I could take the $1900 and put it in the bank as an emergency fund but was wondering if transmissions were problematic or any other item that may absorb that fund in one visit. I suppose I could go for a bit less of coverage such as engine/power train only for the major items at a bit less of cost (~$1400 or so). The truck has a tad over 80,000 miles on it so any thoughts here? Obviously it all depends on how the truck was maintained during the 80,000 mile period which by the looks of it and some of the maintenance records, it looks really good (not abused at all). Any thoughts here???

Thanks in advance,
Scott
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

Old 11-03-2010, 07:00 PM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
If you do get an extended warranty, get the Ford ESP. Do not bother with anything else.

Aside from that, you have a solid power train. It should go well over 200k miles without any major issues.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:04 PM
slogan
New User
Thanks redford,

A quick question.....what exactly is the ESP? Does that cover just maintenance related items?

Thanks again,
Scott

Old 11-03-2010, 07:19 PM
slogan
New User
Never mind the last question, I Googled it and found that there are four options. Premium Care, Extra Care, Base Care and Power Train. I believe that is what they are pricing out but will have to verify that. Am I right here redford?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 11-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
for a V10 equipped truck i wouldnt bother with a ESP...

that engine is about as bullet proof as a engine can be..

esp at 1900$... either just bank it or not even worry..

Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 PM
slogan
New User
Thanks Fordfanatic4life. How about other components such as tranny, rear end, etc..... Anybody have any concerns with those items? I know I am probably being a bit over cautious just trying to make sure that I am covering all bases before I sign the dotted line.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the 05 truck has the newer trans and as far as the rest of the truck its basicly a super tuff drivetrain that you hardly ever hear of issues with ..

that 5 speed torqshift is a very durable trans. basicly id say just buy the truck and drive off happy..

if you have any concerns about repairs in the future, just deal with em if/when they happen..

now if the truck in question was a diesel then i'd def. say get teh Ford ESP plan for sure...

Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 PM
slogan
New User
Excellent! That was what I was hoping to hear. It's always a good thing to re-enforce your decision prior to making one. The great thing about the internet and forums is you can get all the information you need. The bad thing for me anyways is that I tend to over analyze everything prior to making a decision, sometimes causing me to either change my mind or not do anything at all. But this will not be the case in this scenario, I feel really comfortable about this one. I hope to pick it up on Friday of this week.

Thanks for all the input.

Scott

Old 11-03-2010, 08:29 PM
V10ZILLA
Senior User
Slogan,
Just my .02, I have a 09 V10. Love the truck. motor, tranny and everything else. But you just never know. The warranty is an insurance thing. The one time that something does go wrong your going to wish you had it, "its all about piece of mind". I agree with redford. Make sure its ESP. I purchased a Ford ESP Premium warranty when I bought my truck. I got a 6 year 100K for $2400.00. I just do not have to worry. Just my .02

Old 11-03-2010, 08:56 PM
slogan
New User
Originally Posted by V10ZILLA
Slogan,
Just my .02, I have a 09 V10. Love the truck. motor, tranny and everything else. But you just never know. The warranty is an insurance thing. The one time that something does go wrong your going to wish you had it, "its all about piece of mind". I agree with redford. Make sure its ESP. I purchased a Ford ESP Premium warranty when I bought my truck. I got a 6 year 100K for $2400.00. I just do not have to worry. Just my .02

Thanks for your input V10ZILLA. Advice is greatly appreciated and I am still considering it. You are exactly right, it is an insurance policy. You may not need it but it is really nice to have it in the event you do need it. Like the old saying goes, "Rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it". The only equation that I am trying to work out in my mind is that the policy that they offered is only for 24 months/24000 miles, so what are the chances on a ~80,000 mile vehicle having a major failure during the 24 month/24,000 mile period? Slim to none.........average chance.........or likely? I know, it's a crap shoot. So do I roll the dice or just play it safe? That is the question.

I am looking at the Ford ESP web site and they do offer the Base Care pkg that allows you to go up to 48 months/48,000 mile which may be a better option but it covers a little less of the electronics, but it covers the major items. Too many options and none are inexpensive. Still in the undecided mode on this one, warranty wise that is, truck has been decided on.

Thanks again,
Scott