General Automotive Discussion

Clutch trouble on my Dodge!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:01 PM
MadFrank81
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch trouble on my Dodge!

Hey guys, had my '77 Dodge sitting around for a while now, hadn't been moved at all for about 3 or 4 months, got in and the clutch won't release! The pedal feels like it always has but the clutch won't disengage. I was only able to move the truck around by starting it in gear.

I know almost nothing about working on manual trannys and just as little about Mopar stuff.

Anyone have any ideas what could be the issue here? It is a mechanical not hyraulic clutch system. 318 motor with a 4spd tranny.

Thanks for any info!

Old 10-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would think that the clutch plate (friction disc) has stuck to the flywheel. I would try a shock load to see if that frees it.
Put it in the highest gear you can (preferably 3rd or 4th), press the clutch pedal to the floor and hold it there, start the engine, give it a little gas and then stomp on the brake so that the engine stalls. Try this a few times keeping the clutch pedal to the floor at all times.
If that does not unstick the clutch plate then try towing it in 4th gear with the engine off and the clutch pedal to the floor. Tow it a few feet, stop and then repeat.
If none of these methods frees it, you may have to think about pulling the trans and clutch.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:23 AM
MadFrank81
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info K. Gonna try freeing it this weekend!