Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Transmission issues....i have codes, and did search but have a few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:33 PM
tackleberry233
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission issues....i have codes, and did search but have a few ?'s

Hi, i have a friend with an 05 explorer. former taxicab, severe duty use vehicle. he got it for 1500 bucks, but trans was bad. from what he found out from the cab shop is that the person that was doing transmissions at the time when these were replaced, he wasnt the sharpest knife in the drawer, so i am suspecting wiring issues.

i did a search on google and on here after i got codes pulled, know what the codes are and they are below.

I have a question tho about an 05 explorer specifically. is there one computer that controls everything, or is there a separate computer that controls the transmission and one for the engine?

the codes i have are 7 total:
P0743-TCC SOLENOID DETECTED VOLTAGE DROP
P0750-SOLENOID 1 CIRCUIT CONDITION-ECM DETECTED OPEN OR SHORTED CONDITION
P0755-SOLENOID 2 CIRCUIT CONDITION-ECM DETECTED OPEN OR SHORTED CONDITION
P0760-SOLENOID 3 CIRCUIT CONDITION-ECM DETECTED OPEN OR SHORTED CONDITION
P0962-LINE PRESSURE CONTROL PC SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT INTERNAL LOW ELECTRICAL MALFUNCTION OF THE PC SOLENOID CIRCUIT
P0966-CLUTCH PRESSURE CONTROL PC SOLENOID 2 CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW VOLTAGE
P0970-CLUTCH PRESSURE CONTROL PC SOLENOID 3 CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW VOLTAGE

those are the 7 codes i got off the car,

here are my general symptoms.
OD light is blinking, on cluster text display says check transmission
reverse works when trans is cold, when warmed up it usually does not work.
no first gear when put in drive.
no first gear when put into first gear manually.
trans shifts smoothly between the other gears 2/3/4 otherwise.
vehicle has been in random heavy duty use in nevada desert summers and has had no major symptom changes since feb 2010 when the vehicle was obtained.
there is a very very small trans leak which i suspect is the reason why reverse went from severely delayed to working only when cold.
no bad smells have been detected inside the cabin on a regular basis, but the driver does tell me that once in a random while he smells something different.
the transmission is not original, as it was formerly a las vegas taxicab, total miles to date around 255k.
there are no other codes besides the ones listed above.

i do also have the following questions....
my first attempt of course will be to start looking at wiring, but like i said i need to know if its one master computer or if the trans has its own control unit, and if so where is it?

i will then go and start tracking down the wiring from the trans to the computer to check for shorts, i have read that some vehicles are prone to melting wiring due to being near the exhaust pipe.

would a fuse for the ECU be something to bother to look at?

if the wiring appears to be in good condition, then i will then open the trans pan and remove the VB to get to the solenoids. of course, here too i will inspect the wiring, if that checks out, is there a diagram that shows which solenoids are numbers 1, 2, 3 so i know where to start?

is there anything else that i should be looking at that i did not state? im not a genius when it comes to this stuff but not a tard either, but i also can do the work, just as long as i know where im supposed to be. he was going to replace the trans, but i mentioned that there has to be some sort of electrical issue since his OD is blinking. motor wise im decent but transmissions i have never done much on til recently.

is it possible that the transmission is running in a "non electronic" state? meaning its relying sole on basic mechanical principles and no electronic controls?

thanks in advance, any help beyond what i mentioned above or confirmation of me being on the right track would be great.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:41 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a bad solenoid pack to me.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 AM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
With the codes you have I would be looking for a dirty or loose connector.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:15 PM
tackleberry233
New User
checked all connectors, found a loose ground from motor to firewall in the process, nothing was loose or dirty.

from this point it will have to be internal im guessing?

Old 11-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if they still do it but, AAMCO would pull the trans codes at no charge. If they still do, have them check it. Just do not allow them to do anything else to the truck and do not leave it overnight. Try to stay next to the tech that pulls the codes and you write them down, ride with the tech to show him exactly what it is doing, even if they say they will give you a print out or anything else that would be a means of them having the truck and the info away from you. Then, with the info you recieve you can find out the meaning of the codes and do the repair yourself. provided it's the solenoid pack or the PRNDLE switch on the trans it won't be a hard fix.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 AM
tackleberry233
New User
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
I don't know if they still do it but, AAMCO would pull the trans codes at no charge. If they still do, have them check it. Just do not allow them to do anything else to the truck and do not leave it overnight. Try to stay next to the tech that pulls the codes and you write them down, ride with the tech to show him exactly what it is doing, even if they say they will give you a print out or anything else that would be a means of them having the truck and the info away from you. Then, with the info you recieve you can find out the meaning of the codes and do the repair yourself. provided it's the solenoid pack or the PRNDLE switch on the trans it won't be a hard fix.
umm...i have the codes...see the original post.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Now that you have checked, cleaned and used contact cleaner on all the connectors, repaired loose ground. Have you cleared the codes and check to see which ones might have returned??

Old 11-18-2010, 01:44 PM
tackleberry233
New User
codes were cleared, but came back up as soon as car was started.