VetNet A forum dedicated to ALL Veterans... their unique needs and wants. A place where Veterans old and new can discuss their problems and find the help and support they are looking for.

Veterans Network (VET NET) at FTE

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We'll see how she rides, but thank you also -

I was in a bowling alley in Escondido California one night and a man from what I said found out I was in the navy. Wanted to treat me to a beer or whatever, said he believed in what we were doing - but damned if I could explain what I was feeling at the time.

So I escaped the place - I really didn't feel like talking about it at the time.

It all looked familiar at the time - video games, and bowling lanes, all of that stuff that made me feel at home.

But it was different - it felt wrong somehow, and I couldn't figure out why.

I had to run away until I could figure it out for myself - and that happens sometimes after you join.

"WHO AM I NOW?"

And it messes with you....

You have changed in an enormous way - but you just can't explain it

How you saw things before is never coming back.

~For one thing you think your old friends are stupid!

(honestly)

*That's a "FLASHBACK" from about 15 years ago...

Old 11-05-2010, 11:04 PM
FlyByNight
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well...the way I see it you're soaring like an Eagle now and amongst plenty of good friends, keep flying Bro.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:15 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,280 Likes on 2,438 Posts
Like yesterday walked into Wallyworld and there was a guy wearing a Vietnam service unit hat with 101st and his tour dates on it walking out.

I merely smiled and said "thanks airborne" as I walked by, he replied "airassault" and kept on walking and we both understood and had an instant brotherhood bond.

I like that feeling and would not give it up for nothing! Y'all have a great day, I'm on a little road trip to get truck parts.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:29 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Greywolf
We'll see how she rides, but thank you also -

I was in a bowling alley in Escondido California one night and a man from what I said found out I was in the navy. Wanted to treat me to a beer or whatever, said he believed in what we were doing - but damned if I could explain what I was feeling at the time.

So I escaped the place - I really didn't feel like talking about it at the time.

It all looked familiar at the time - video games, and bowling lanes, all of that stuff that made me feel at home.

But it was different - it felt wrong somehow, and I couldn't figure out why.

I had to run away until I could figure it out for myself - and that happens sometimes after you join.

"WHO AM I NOW?"

And it messes with you....

You have changed in an enormous way - but you just can't explain it

How you saw things before is never coming back.

~For one thing you think your old friends are stupid!

(honestly)

*That's a "FLASHBACK" from about 15 years ago...
Dutch, your spot on and I'm going to tell everyone why by telling two very short stories.

1. Last summer 2009 I went back to Maine for my 30th year class reunion. I hadn't seen most of my 94 class mates since graduation.

I had a great time and got all caught up and reconnected with many, but, come to find out, i was the ONLY military retiree and the ONLY person to go beyond 4 years in the bunch. The other two vets didn't show, I was a lone duck. I had very little in common with any of them though we were all still the same.

2. A young an on my route has recently joined the Army. He is now stationed at Ft Eustis, Va which is 6 miles up the road from my route.

Before joining, he was a punk and always in some sort of petty trouble. He showed little respect for himself let alone others.

The other day he was getting out of his car and I handed him the mail. His reply was, "thank you sir". I thanked him for his service. We briefly discussed mine and instantly connected, hopefully for life.

Wolfie, I get it.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:33 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
When brothers share the military experience....the bond is even greater.

Hell, one of my brothers is in year 28...I believe E-8. Another brother served. We are all Air Force. Dad was Navy, WWII.

Step Dad was Army. Served WWII in both Germany & Pacific. Battlefield commission then onto OCS after the war. Then onto Korea during that "situation".

Older step brother served two tours in Viet Nam....Purple Heart w/cluster. Took him 30 years to die.

Younger step brother US Army.

One nephew Active duty Captain US Army. Two tours in the desert.

One nephew former Special Forces, now with "The Company"...Can't say anymore about that.

Brother-in-law flew choppers in Viet Nam and another was Green Beret in Viet Nam.

It is amazing when any of us get together. Even the old stories are as if we are hearing them for the first time.

But, when my nephews speak, we listen. We listen with the same wonder that they, as kids, listened to us. We listen with pride and we watch with sad eyes. Because of our bond, we know. Just as all of you know. What they have done for us and what they have seen, what they will continue to witness...well, it will just always be special.

Monday, I will attend our local Vertern's Day Ceremony. I will watch the colors rise and fly free. I will salute and as has been typical of me these past few years....I will watch the colors fly through wet eyes.

May God Bless America and may God Bless and watch over our military.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:37 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Well I had my Grandfather (dad's side) who was a machinist during WWII. He worked out in Pomona CA or close to it making stuff for I think boeing. One Uncle was in the Army as well.

My career started in 1982. I was a field artillery soldier, then got drafted to be a recruiter. did that for a couple and then moved onto being a career counselor.

Now my oldest son is carrying the torch. He has been in now for about 15 months. Infantry, assigned to a stryker brigade. Right in the thick of it in Kandajar.

It is a small world really.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Wow, this is moving almost as fast as the "V10 vs. PSD" thread...

It always amazes me to think about the experiences some of you guys who stayed until retirement have. I'm only 25, and have been in the Army as Active Duty, IRR, and AGR since i was 17. I'm now AGR as a recruiter up here in Wisconsin.

In the last 7 years I have learned far more about myself, my country, and the rest of the world than I ever thought possible. I feel truly blessed to have had the opportunity to have such an experience, and hope the future goes as well for me.

If any of you guys are in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area next weekend send me a PM!

Old 11-06-2010, 09:47 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Wow, this is moving almost as fast as the "V10 vs. PSD" thread...

It always amazes me to think about the experiences some of you guys who stayed until retirement have. I'm only 25, and have been in the Army as Active Duty, IRR, and AGR since i was 17. I'm now AGR as a recruiter up here in Wisconsin.

In the last 7 years I have learned far more about myself, my country, and the rest of the world than I ever thought possible. I feel truly blessed to have had the opportunity to have such an experience, and hope the future goes as well for me.

If any of you guys are in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area next weekend send me a PM!
Although I was an active duty recruiter/career counselor before I retired I used to put a fair amount of soldiers into the Guard and Reserves..

Old 11-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Although I was an active duty recruiter/career counselor before I retired I used to put a fair amount of soldiers into the Guard and Reserves..
Wow...you used to recruit for ARNG?

Of course I'm employed by the USAR, but I primarily recruit active duty. I work in a regular station and do the exact same job as the AD guys do, and since we're doing "team recruiting" any of us can do either USAR or RA.

National Guard is a totally different animal though, we don't do anything with them. They have their own recruiters out of their units and have nothing to do with USAREC. Interesting....

Old 11-06-2010, 10:30 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Wow...you used to recruit for ARNG?

Of course I'm employed by the USAR, but I primarily recruit active duty. I work in a regular station and do the exact same job as the AD guys do, and since we're doing "team recruiting" any of us can do either USAR or RA.

National Guard is a totally different animal though, we don't do anything with them. They have their own recruiters out of their units and have nothing to do with USAREC. Interesting....
Yup...done them both. In fact was with the Baltimore Recruiting Battalion at Ft. Meade md till Dec 2004. So I left recruiting 6 yrs ago. I also did WOFT/OCS/USAMAPS...the list goes on.

I was station in Cypress, CA as an active duty recruiter...

Old 11-06-2010, 11:58 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have put in my request to join.US ARMY 1982-85 and Reserve '85-'88.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Just got all the joinreq's up to speed - I'm taking a break from "Dirt to Daytona" (Old NASCAR game). I'll be back on a bit later, it's moving so fast I don't want to miss anybody.

I tell ya what - from where I'm sitting it looks a whole lot like a chapter, even if it isn't The only thing missing is the high-pressure "Gotta have G2G's" bit, and stuff like that.

I guess we don't have to come up with any hat or t-shirt designs either!

Old 11-06-2010, 05:01 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Just got all the joinreq's up to speed - I'm taking a break from "Dirt to Daytona" (Old NASCAR game). I'll be back on a bit later, it's moving so fast I don't want to miss anybody.

I tell ya what - from where I'm sitting it looks a whole lot like a chapter, even if it isn't The only thing missing is the high-pressure "Gotta have G2G's" bit, and stuff like that.

I guess we don't have to come up with any hat or t-shirt designs either!
And thanks for the reps!

Old 11-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I think I'll see who else was on the original thread - this "New Concept" is a whole lot smoother and better. It's a new ballgame...

You know what's funny? I was thinking earlier tonight that it would be hilarious if a couple of ballcaps were made up embroidered on the front with the letters FTE about two inches tall, crossed by the letters VET NET (gold or yellow thread) -

But underneath the statement: "IT'S NOT A CHAPTER!!!"

In retrospect I've decided to dump the graphic that was here, KW is right, no point in stirring up trouble.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Bdox, did three years in the Army, 1966-1969. One brother KIA in Viet-Nam. One brother retired USAF navigator. Third brother did several years in the Air Farce, switched over a did several more in the US Navy. My Dad enlisted in the USMC in 1937, retired as an O-6 with a very distinguished record. Have untold numbers of nephews and nieces who have and are still serving in various branches. I can't believe how many of the girls are so gung-ho! My oldest son did six years in the US Navy and the other is a detective, swat and federal data recovery instructor. Not to mention my uncles and cousins......... it just goes on.

Quick Reply: Veterans Network (VET NET) at FTE