Sponsored by: DP Tuner

JW Trans installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking JW Trans installed

Well, I'm at work, but my mechanic just called and said he is cruising down the road enjoying the solid - but not harsh - shifts and that the TC lockup is like a whole other gearing shift. He said it shifts the way he would want an automatic trans to shift if he could design one the way he wanted. This is without my PHP chip installed (I pulled it when I left it with him). I am DYING to leave work and get over there to finally experience it.

Anyways, I will let y'all know what I think later on after I've had a chance to put it through the wringers. I just had to post something on here 'cause I knew y'all would be excited for me and understand my angst for the next few hours!

Old 11-22-2010, 01:15 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sweet deal! A new trans is always something to be excited over!

Old 11-22-2010, 01:50 PM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
I am almost there, but I wish I could drive mine this afternoon also.

I am happy that you got this worked out and the truck on the road so quick.

I have parts guy ed looking for the shift cable to transmission arm nylon piece. I broke mine taking the tranny out.

What I want to know is does the Up-pipe/WW/Tranny combination make it an entirely new feeling truck? You weren't too happy with the WW/up-pipes.

Also, Can you re-program the PHP to not try to control the transmission? It may try to jack up the line pressure. You may want to leave it off for a while and see what your new "normal" is and decide if you want to put the chip back on.

Glad to see you on the road again.

By the way, for a guy who "works" by flying around in an Apache helicopter, how could anything else be more fun

Old 11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Bob let us know when you drive it and reinstall the tuner. I love mine JW did a great job.
I thought you mit of gone to BTS bing ur in SC what made you go west? I live in CA so it seemed smart to me. A freind Chet

Old 11-22-2010, 02:05 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Good for you Bob, I feel your angst bet it's the longest couple hours you've had in a while.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Bobby,

I didn't do the Up-pipes, my stocks are still holding up. At RRE I did the WW, FRx, and HPx. And it wasn't that I was unimpressed with the WW, it just didn't completely cure my surge. It doesn't surge as badly as the stock wheel, but it still surges on a steady grade when I pull in OD at about 2000rpm.

John asked what tunes I was running when he took down my information prior to building my trans, so the PHP chip should only make the trans better. Understandably, it would've been better if I could've gone there or to BTS and let them build it and drive it and make changes on the spot, but that wasn't an option. At this point, if the tunes make the shifts too harsh then I will send the chip back to PHP for a reburn (or maybe go visit them for live tuning).

Chet, nice to meet ya. Honestly it was a very difficult decision for me. I couldn't drive to either BTS or John's so the trans was going to have to be shipped either way. I really like Brian and John both, in the end I just went with my gut. Interesting side-note - I was in NYC this weekend and got a call on Saturday from Brian asking if I still needed a trans. I felt bad telling him I chose John, but when I spoke with him initially I told him I was trying to decide between the two. I do think it was a testament to Brian's customer service that he took time out of his Saturday evening to call me. Again, this was not a decision based on who I liked better or which trans I think is better. Both sounded great, and I actually went with one of John's beefier transmissions, so the cost difference was a wash - I just prayed about it, talked with the wife about it, and ended up going with John.

on Edit : Bobby, flying the apache is fun - if that's all I did my life would be a gem! Truth is I am also the commander of 138 young soldiers. This, too, can be fun, but as I'm sure you can imagine it is the real "work" part of what I do.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:39 PM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
I understand about leading the troops!

My career was as an artillery officer. When we were shooting big bullets, everything was great. Get in garrison and things usually went to hell in a hand basket.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:05 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats on the trans Bob, getting either trans from a premier builder you did good, happy motoring..

Old 11-22-2010, 04:25 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Congrats Bob!

Old 11-22-2010, 04:32 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations, and I think that is awesome. I am so jealous. It's nice to see another mod working well. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the install cost? I'm wanting a BTS or John Woods, and it's a 20 hour drive to BTS for me. Considering fuel and hotel costs, I'm thinking of going JW and having it installed. I could prolly do it, but that is such a pain to install laying on your back I'm sure. Heaviest trans I've dealt with is a C4 and a T5 out of the old 5.0 Mustangs.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert6401
Bobby,

I didn't do the Up-pipes, my stocks are still holding up. At RRE I did the WW, FRx, and HPx. And it wasn't that I was unimpressed with the WW, it just didn't completely cure my surge. It doesn't surge as badly as the stock wheel, but it still surges on a steady grade when I pull in OD at about 2000rpm.

John asked what tunes I was running when he took down my information prior to building my trans, so the PHP chip should only make the trans better. Understandably, it would've been better if I could've gone there or to BTS and let them build it and drive it and make changes on the spot, but that wasn't an option. At this point, if the tunes make the shifts too harsh then I will send the chip back to PHP for a reburn (or maybe go visit them for live tuning).

Chet, nice to meet ya. Honestly it was a very difficult decision for me. I couldn't drive to either BTS or John's so the trans was going to have to be shipped either way. I really like Brian and John both, in the end I just went with my gut. Interesting side-note - I was in NYC this weekend and got a call on Saturday from Brian asking if I still needed a trans. I felt bad telling him I chose John, but when I spoke with him initially I told him I was trying to decide between the two. I do think it was a testament to Brian's customer service that he took time out of his Saturday evening to call me. Again, this was not a decision based on who I liked better or which trans I think is better. Both sounded great, and I actually went with one of John's beefier transmissions, so the cost difference was a wash - I just prayed about it, talked with the wife about it, and ended up going with John.

on Edit : Bobby, flying the apache is fun - if that's all I did my life would be a gem! Truth is I am also the commander of 138 young soldiers. This, too, can be fun, but as I'm sure you can imagine it is the real "work" part of what I do.
You had said you were getting ready to go on a trip pulling your 5-er. Let us know what fun you have had when you get back.

Congrats on getting it in.... let the party start.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert6401
I just prayed about it....
Always the BEST way to approach any decision, big or small, good job!

You couldn't go wrong with either trans, but most people know I'm partial to JW's build.

Stewart

Old 11-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Well, I drove about a mile with no chip. Shifting was great, firm but not harsh. Feels like a 5 speed auto with the TC lockup. Stopped and put the chip in and the shifts are a bit more firm but still not harsh. The trans really shines when you put the pedal to it. Crisp, timely shifts and it feels like the maximum amount of power is getting to the wheels as opposed to being lost in the TC. I am very pleased and can't wait to put some real miles on it tomorrow. As a comparison, I liken the difference between the stock trans and the JW trans to the same type of performance difference between a stock truck to a truck with a DP or in my case PHP chip. Yes, it's that AWESOME!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Oh and I really think the biggest difference is going to be seen when I tow the 5er. Unfortunately we had to put off the trip this weekend, but I am looking at taking a trip in 2 weeks and at the very least I will be towing on the 17th of next month down to Florida.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:44 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Good deal Bob sounds like it performs as advertised. Good luck with it!

Quick Reply: JW Trans installed