6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Heat insulation coming down onto the turbo's and causing a fire

Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WyoBlueF3
I'm kinda resurrecting an old thread here and am off topic, but what am I seeing there in the pic submitted by Longview1 where it appears there is a band clamp on the oil breather thing and the breather hose is removed from between the oil filler "thingy" to the air intake. sorry for such "technical jargon but cant think of official name for that. any rate...it appears the breather hose has been removed and clamped off?? what is benefit of that and how did you go about plugging that off? I looks like a bolt clamped in the intake connecfion..what did you do at the oil filler end?? route a hose down toward ground?
That's a ccv reroute. Keeps any oil from crank case vapours from entering the intake. Other end of hose would be routed underneath the truck . Plug with clamp is to seal the intake where ccv used to enter.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard about that from a diesel tech guy I talked to way back when I bought my truck.I didnt hear or read anything more about it and kinda forgot about it. Any special kind of heat resistant hose needed to vent downward with? the hose thats there is only a few inches long. How big of problem is the oil vapors goin back into intake?

Old 04-09-2014, 05:06 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
You can vent to ground or you can do what I did with my. I did a Racor CCV filter. Mounted it on the frame by the front passenger door.

Routed the hose from the canister to it and then a return hose to the intake.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:38 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Racor ccv filter is a nice set up....I've looked at them online several times. I went with a home made one...some 1 1/2" abs pipe, couple end caps, couple kitchen scrubbers and some 1" heater hose. Mounted it up front to the side of my intercooler. Not sure if this works as well as the Racor ccv filter mind you...however I drain a teaspoon of oil or so out every few months and have no oil residue in my upper cac pipe either. :-).
Some guys just vent to atmosphere, but vapours can be stinky to say the least. You can run it to the rear of the truck as well, but make extra sure there are no low spots in the hose as moisture will collect in there and reduce flow and increase crankcase pressure which is not a good thing.
The purpose of this mod is to keep as much oil as possible out of your intercooler. It will collect in there, coat the inside surfaces reducing efficiency of the intercooler. The oil can also gum up the turbos over time as well.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:13 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
[]w The oil can also gum up the turbos over time as well. [/

thats what that diesel tech guy had said only he more strongly stated how it will eff up the turbo...I might look into those ideas you guys suggested. probly in a way easily put back to stock in event of need to visit dealer.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:49 PM
08DUALLY
New User
Hello I'm new here to the site and have a question and a little story of what happened to me. I've been looking here to see if anyone has had this problem? I bought my truck new and have been smelling what seem to be something burning but we could never find anything. This past summer we smelt it really bad I pulled over and this time noticed smoke coming out of the hood. I looked around and finally opened the hood slowly to make sure know flames. I then see my firewall insulation smoldering red almost fire I grab water bottles and put it out. So I finally get back home and talk to the service mangler at the ford dealer by my work and he said it wouldn't have ever caught fire should have left it and kept driving. So I checked on the internet to see some trucks have caught fire. I guess my main question here is I have bought the ford premium warranty and kept it on my truck since it was new, so is this something that should be covered by ford? Sorry to be so long winded, Thanks in advance for any help here... Steve

Old 12-02-2014, 04:39 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
In order for the part to be covered you will have to get the service advisor to look it up by the part #.

Once he does that it will show what kind of warranty is on that.

It most certainly will catch fire.