North Dakota Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: hav24wheel

I got orders to Minot AFB,ND...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 06:19 PM
BatteriesNotINCL
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I got orders to Minot AFB,ND...

So I am moving up to Minot,ND from the warmer San Antonio,Tx. All of my most recent instructors are useless when it comes to car care. The only thing they do is refer me to the video of their friends throwing a hot pot of water in the air and watch it turn to a frozen mist.

I plan to drive from Lackland AFB up to Minot in Mid February. Should I be concerned about the weather at all? Is there anyway to prepare my truck for the different climate and roads? I hear there is a lot of salt that would eat up my vehicles. The momma mobile is a Tahoe (long story). Do we need to get chains?? Block heaters??

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. T.I.A!

Old 12-11-2010, 07:53 PM
l67cooled
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winters here can get pretty cold in the January and February months. I don't think a newer vehicle would have any trouble starting without a block heater. I have them installed on all my vehicles, but really never use them and if I do its more of precautionary than really needed. I would honestly get one since they are pretty cheap and really don't hurt to have just in case.

As for chains you wont need them. Especially if your not planning on living in the backwoods somewhere. I'm assuming your going to be on base. Minot is decently populated and snow is cleared from the streets pretty quickly. A decent set of tires is all I'd suggest, especially if you have cars.

I guess one thing I'd check would be your coolant, make sure it test to go to -40 below or so. That's something you've probably never worried about down there.

Not much you can prep for salt on the roads. Just make sure to clean off the underside of your vehicles now and then and you should be fine. I don't think we use as much salt as some other states. I think its mostly fly ash mixed with salt and sand, so its less harsh.

Good luck with your move and even better luck with the conditions. That's a hell of a swing coming from tx. Lucky you wont have to wait to long since your coming in feb. Should be warming up by may or june. lol