Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced/repaired everything on my 88 F150 and still no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:02 PM
FORDFTW
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try a new distributor so you can rule out the possibility of it being the stator. The stator is what tells the coil when to fire

Old 10-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Big-old-460
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford_medic
All the compression is fine. Yeah, I pulled a plug out, grounded it, and still no spark. It's like it just doesn't WANT to run. .
OK No spark condition is your problem , and its an easy Fix, sry i went out to dinner missed your response , Make Sure Your coil is getting Positive and Negitive engry ,
take your volt meter to the wires that connect to the coil , you should get a 0 or a reading, just let me know tomorrow.. U might want to follow that wire that attaches to the coil and lead it back to the source , I know its alot of work , but I bet when you find the problem your going to kick your self .. because it was something simple.

jayson
let me know what you find mate
Oh almost make sure that the wire it attached right to the Rotor as well and that getting A charge.. Dont kill your self under the hood kk

Old 10-31-2010, 07:17 AM
doinfroggy
Senior User
i was searching for you and found another forum on here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-no-spark.html The guy took wiring harness off and found wires missing/spliced. hope it helps

Old 10-31-2010, 04:46 PM
butch h
Cross-Country
Have you checked for spark from the coil ?

Old 10-31-2010, 09:17 PM
ford_medic
New User
I checked to make sure all the power was getting to the coil. Haven't got any spark out of the coil at all. And that is a new distributor too. A mechanic buddy of mine came over today with a Snap On diagnostic computer. No codes on the ECM. But while he was digging around under the hood while we had the key in the "On" position, one of the relays started going nuts. It turns out there's something loose in the TFI plug on the distributor. We started wiggling it and it showed that I have an intermittent connection that is cycling the relays. I'm going to rewire it and replace that plug later this week. Won't have any time to work on it until Wednesday because of my work schedule. We'll see if that's the problem. I'll let everyone know either way.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:15 PM
butch h
Cross-Country
I wold be looking at the distributer module.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:08 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
If that doesn't help any, I would look at the coil. If it gets power but does not work, it could be the culprit. Even if it has been replaced, it could still be bad.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 PM
doinfroggy
Senior User
did u ever get it figured out?

Old 11-20-2010, 03:18 PM
ford_medic
New User
Seems to be figured out.

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. I've been tied up with my full time job and the fact that my fiance's brake system crapped out. I had to do a full conversion on it.

Anyway. A buddy of mine came over and plugged his nice $3000 Snap-on computer up to my truck with nothing found. But while he was messing around under the hood, he moved something and the ignition relay kicked on. After about 1/2 hour of looking, we found the problem to be in the new TFI plug that I had installed. I had purchased it from Autozone. Matter of fact, it was the second one I had put on. Apparently when you take the WIRES coming out of it and move them, to one side or the other, it causes and intermittent loss in contact. I replaced it with another I ordered from another vendor and got my fire back.

Now that the truck is running, I have found it to have a really hard time starting and a rough idle. It is a massive intake leak from sitting for so long. I confirmed with a vacuum test. Setting out to fix that this coming week.

I want to thank all of you for all of the helpful input that you have given me. End the end we all learn a lesson. . . . . You can't trust even the simplest parts you buy. I checked continuity on it when it wasn't plugged in. But, for those of you that know, it gets a little cramped around the distributor and the angle that the wires were sitting at caused a disruption in the contacts on the TFI.

Once again, I'd like to thank you all for your help. I hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving and a merry Christmas.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:42 PM
oleman
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford_medic
Okay, I need help. My 88 F150 has been dead in the driveway for almost 5 months. It died at the gas station after I filled it up. I have checked all of the following:

Fuel Relay
Ignition Relay
Ignition Coil
PIP
ECM
Solenoid
Ignition Switch
Cap/rotor
wires
TFI
Fuel cut off switch

All have passed every test I can put to them. I get all the required voltage, resistance, and signal input/output that is required. I have used every tip, trick, and advice I can find on the internet. I followed wiring diagrams and traced all of the wires to look for a short and found none. I have replaced:

Ignition coil x2
Ignition relay
Distributor
PIP
TFI x2
ECM
Ignition suppression resistor
Ignition switch
Solenoid
Battery

I can't find any reason for it not to have fire, but it continues to have none. It has fuel at the rails. It passes all tests, and they say it should run. I need help!
I do not want to insult you BUT
Are you sure the fuel is fuel and not water mixed with fuel.
I was on a trip last year. Filled up at a roadside service station drove less than a mile and spuddered to a stop. I didn't even make it back to the freeway.
I went through all the why am I stopped seneros and quick verified 460 had spark and fuel pressure but no start or firing at all. I sat scratching my head and a Texas DPT (highway patrol) guy rolled up. His first question was did you buy fuel at the station back there (yes). He said he would tell the owner that another one was down.
Owner sent a tow truck to get me going. We syphoned all the fuel from the tank. It smelled like fuel but the tech said the alcohol blends will mix perfectly with water but at some pioint it will not go anywhere. Yea!
Tech disconnected the HP fuel line and we pumped everything we could pump from the tank. Put in 5 gallons of known good fuel and in a couple of minutes I was on the road again.
If you have spark and fuel it should do something, run!!!!!!

Old 11-21-2010, 02:57 AM
rkrawl
New User
I would try changing the ignition control module located on the bottom left side of your distributor. You will need a special tool bought at a local parts store to get it off and be sure to reapply the white heat putty before installing. (sold separately).

Old 02-13-2011, 03:39 PM
dmcf150
New User
1988 F150 with a 4.9L

I have a 88 F150 4.9 L in it. Replaced the ing moduel distributor and the coil. Have no spark and get one spark when i let off the key andy ideas??

Old 03-07-2018, 09:53 PM
Joseph Woody
New User
Originally Posted by dmcf150
I have a 88 F150 4.9 L in it. Replaced the ing moduel distributor and the coil. Have no spark and get one spark when i let off the key andy ideas??

I'm having same problem with my truck did you find out what was the problem what did you do to fix this

Old 03-07-2018, 10:04 PM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

welcome to FTE, joseph.
this thread is over 7 years old, and those guys are all driving dodges and chevys now.
i suggest you start a new thread describing your symptoms. give as much info/history as you can.
i also suggest you start with pulling codes.
lots of capable people here ready to get you rolling again.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:07 AM
Joseph Woody
New User
I have a 87 F150 5.8L in it. I was driving up the road and truck shut off like cut switch off. found had no spark when trying to start t. so I Replaced the ign module distributor cap rotor button pick up coil and the coil. Still Have no spark and get one spark when i let off the
key key
any Ideas what may be the problem. I have run out of places to look thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Replaced/repaired everything on my 88 F150 and still no spark