Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck wont start help??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 PM
boots6868
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck wont start help??

Hi all.. I could not find a place to talk about E-350 so i know someone out there can help!!
Ive already bought a 1988 E-350 cube van she got a 460 in it and it is about 80 miles one way from me. I bought it as is and just met the fellow today and changed the title got my tags etc.. towing it with my car dolly is out of the question i think it weighs about 7k empty. so i need to get her running. Here is what i know the man said he went out every couple days or so and reached in and fired her up for the past month while having it listed for sale. the day i go to get it he is upset.. she wont start so we had a no deal that day he replaced the distributor with a new one, rotor cap, and module. still wont go. so he made me offer i couldnt refuse to take it as is. I didnt really have time today to mess with as i had to get back home to the job site. He did crank it over for me and she did try to fire for a brief moment then nothing. Now i did notice when the key is turned to the on position the pump under the driver side runs continually. like its not building pressure. i guess it could be out of gas but i think the man would have checked that before buying a dizzy. he claims the man he had working on it checked for fuel pressure. Any way i guess what im asking do you guys have any ideas of what i should look for so i can prepare myself with tools to go get this van. sorry for the long thread. thanks all

Old 10-27-2010, 11:38 PM
taisa899
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when he put the new dizzy in did he put it in with #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:35 AM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by taisa899
when he put the new dizzy in did he put it in with #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke?
x2 on that- and even if he says yes, double check the timing.

It would probably be a good idea to clean the battery cable connections at the battery, starter, and ground. You may also want to test the IAC valve.

Ford Fuel Injection » Idle Air Bypass (IAB)

Old 10-28-2010, 06:53 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,156 Likes on 914 Posts
Originally Posted by boots6868
Hi all.. I could not find a place to talk about E-350 so i know someone out there can help!!
Ive already bought a 1988 E-350 cube van she got a 460 in it and it is about 80 miles one way from me. I bought it as is and just met the fellow today and changed the title got my tags etc.. towing it with my car dolly is out of the question i think it weighs about 7k empty. so i need to get her running. Here is what i know the man said he went out every couple days or so and reached in and fired her up for the past month while having it listed for sale. the day i go to get it he is upset.. she wont start so we had a no deal that day he replaced the distributor with a new one, rotor cap, and module. still wont go. so he made me offer i couldnt refuse to take it as is. I didnt really have time today to mess with as i had to get back home to the job site. He did crank it over for me and she did try to fire for a brief moment then nothing. Now i did notice when the key is turned to the on position the pump under the driver side runs continually. like its not building pressure. i guess it could be out of gas but i think the man would have checked that before buying a dizzy. he claims the man he had working on it checked for fuel pressure. Any way i guess what im asking do you guys have any ideas of what i should look for so i can prepare myself with tools to go get this van. sorry for the long thread. thanks all
The item in bold is the key point here. Anytime the fuel pumps act like that it is either a stuck relay or most likely a bad PCM. Very common failure mode. The fuel pumps should activate for a few seconds when the key is turned to the ON position.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:01 PM
boots6868
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks guys for the input! im going tommorow morning to have a stab at it. im gonna carry along both fuel pumps which i picked up at advance auto (just in case) and i also have a green fuel relay to check that too.
yes i will check the dizzy for #1 setting.
the more i thought about it the foward pump seemed awful loud and im wondering if the lift pump isnt sending fuel to it? im sure its gonna be something stupid when all is done. I will keep you all posted