1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F250 snow plow package how is the ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:17 PM
CraigOutdoors
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just checked and I have x code springs on mine. I noticed that the truck sits almost completely level and I was pretty sure suspension was all stock. Wasn't sure why before, but does factory x code springs mean I have the snowplow package? I've seen people post that they got a copy of the factory window sticker, but I didn't see where to get it on the Ford site. Where would I find that?

Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 PM
TheKid1
Senior User
I drove both 2 months ago. F350's. Same engine, almost identical optional items. I checked air pressure in all tires on both vehicles. Almost identical..drove one then the next one

The one without the snowplow package rode noticeable smoother, no doubt about it..

Old 02-04-2011, 10:37 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishin76
How do you tell if your truck has the x-code springs up front?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-springs.html

Originally Posted by CraigOutdoors
Just checked and I have x code springs on mine. I noticed that the truck sits almost completely level and I was pretty sure suspension was all stock. Wasn't sure why before, but does factory x code springs mean I have the snowplow package? I've seen people post that they got a copy of the factory window sticker, but I didn't see where to get it on the Ford site. Where would I find that?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-e99-psd.html

My truck has 3 leaf X-codes and I have no issue with the ride at all. To be honest it rides like a Cadillac compared to my old POS Ram.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 PM
CraigOutdoors
Elder User
Originally Posted by akorcovelos
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-springs.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-e99-psd.html

My truck has 3 leaf X-codes and I have no issue with the ride at all. To be honest it rides like a Cadillac compared to my old POS Ram.
Thanks. Reps.

My truck rides very nice. I was driving a '78 F250 before this. This one is MUCH easier on my back.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:25 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by senix
look at the door label and it should give the spring rating for both front and rear.

You really do want the higher spring rates, even if you don't plow. It will help to maintain proper height as the truck ages.

I also helps when towing.
I ordered my truck with the heavy service suspension package. This included higher rated springs....would these be the x rated...i did not read my door tag yet.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:38 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_08
I ordered my truck with the heavy service suspension package. This included higher rated springs....would these be the x rated...i did not read my door tag yet.
I would think so. Mine are 6K up front.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:26 PM
wallacemf
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought a new 2010 F350 with the 5.4L, it's got the snow plow package, and the slide-in camper package. The suspensison does not give much at all, it's a pretty stiff ride...much stiffer than the Ram 3500 Cummins I traded in. The sticker has a "10600 GVWR package" listed in the options. The wife hates riding in it and complains constantly.

Maybe yours will be a bit smoother ride since the diesel engine is so much heavier....

Old 02-05-2011, 06:52 PM
hillbillyboy_316
New User
leaf springs

my truck is a 2001 f250 diesel sc and it has 3 leaf, leaf springs up front. i read somewhere that x code springs were only 2 leafs, is this true? my certification tag on the door is gone but it has the other sticker to tell the gross weight of vehicle and it says 4800 lbs. up front. bought the truck used so i dont know if it has plow prep pkg or not, was needing to know cause i was wanting to put plow on it and needing to know if it will handle the plow

Old 08-11-2012, 09:00 PM
mustangary
Junior User
Originally Posted by senix
look at the door label and it should give the spring rating for both front and rear.

You really do want the higher spring rates, even if you don't plow. It will help to maintain proper height as the truck ages.

I also helps when towing.
Why does it help in towing? Seems it would make it worse, especially with the front end higher than the back end (like on my new 2012 F-250). Disappointed it is actually "raked"... sloped to the back (when hook my 5th wheel trailer on, it drops even further. And substantive load puts the "headlights in the sky"... what happened to real trucks, where when you put a load on it, they became level!!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:38 AM
bkrhoades
Junior User
Originally Posted by Cassidy522
I just got my 2011 f250 cc with plow prep and it rides better then any truck I've have had in the past. I did notice that the front end is just a little bit higher than the bed
Mine also sits a little higher in the front! I thought something was off in the suspension until a little research showed me it was because it came with the snow plow package!

Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Originally Posted by mustangary
Why does it help in towing? Seems it would make it worse, especially with the front end higher than the back end (like on my new 2012 F-250). Disappointed it is actually "raked"... sloped to the back (when hook my 5th wheel trailer on, it drops even further. And substantive load puts the "headlights in the sky"... what happened to real trucks, where when you put a load on it, they became level!!
You could always add 350 blocks in the rear that would raise the rear +- 2"

Old 08-12-2012, 10:22 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Originally Posted by bkrhoades
Mine also sits a little higher in the front! I thought something was off in the suspension until a little research showed me it was because it came with the snow plow package!
Last time I checked the diesels came with 6000# springs regardless of plow package or not. I could be wrong with the newer trucks. If you have 6000 front end weight listed them I am right (this time anyways.)

Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 PM
mustangary
Junior User
Originally Posted by rjfetz1
You could always add 350 blocks in the rear that would raise the rear +- 2"
350 blocks: Sorry to be not informed here, but am not familiar with the term "blocks."

Am adding air (bags) springs... with compressor, remote control... I guess this will substitute for the blocks? Or, should I add the blocks, too?

Sure would like to add some load capacity to this 250... make it into a 350, in the rear, if possible. The snowplow package in the front seems to essentially make it 350 in that end?

Dealer/suspension guy tells me the 6.7L Diesel 250 and 350 are essentially identical, drive train wise... just differences in the springs (mainly rear), suspension?

Old 08-13-2012, 11:25 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangary
350 blocks: Sorry to be not informed here, but am not familiar with the term "blocks."

Am adding air (bags) springs... with compressor, remote control... I guess this will substitute for the blocks? Or, should I add the blocks, too?

Sure would like to add some load capacity to this 250... make it into a 350, in the rear, if possible. The snowplow package in the front seems to essentially make it 350 in that end?

Dealer/suspension guy tells me the 6.7L Diesel 250 and 350 are essentially identical, drive train wise... just differences in the springs (mainly rear), suspension?

They're referring to the blocks between the leaf springs and the axle on the rear axle. The F-350 has taller blocks than the F-250. They aren't going to change your capacity but they will make the truck sag a little less under load.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:15 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
They're referring to the blocks between the leaf springs and the axle on the rear axle. The F-350 has taller blocks than the F-250. They aren't going to change your capacity but they will make the truck sag a little less under load.
And raise it slightly higher than the front. That way when you hook up a trailer or carry a load it sits more level which is better!

Quick Reply: F250 snow plow package how is the ride?