1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:20 PM
newrider3
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Went to the junkyard today and scored not one, but two Ranger Lariat radio bezels in awesome shape. One even has the clock holes. One of the trucks also had the door lock sliders in good condition, got those too.

Also got an original option Ford 8-Track player out of one of the trucks! A pretty good haul if I do say so myself.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by newrider3
Went to the junkyard today and scored not one, but two Ranger Lariat radio bezels in awesome shape.

WHAT?

Not even cool man.

Oh yea, you know I want pics too....

Old 11-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drove mine to the machine shop to pick up the block for the other F250, the one on the left.

Sad. The 1982 runs, gets the same fuel mileage as the 2000, and cost me 1/100th so far.

Why am I putting money into the 2000? I should be investing in the 82!

Old 11-07-2010, 01:20 AM
6fifty_f1fifty
Elder User
Love your 82 stangrcr1, good color.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:05 AM
panman65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
put on my 31x11.5x15 thornbird tsls today on the 82 stepside 4x4

Old 11-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 6fifty_f1fifty
Love your 82 stangrcr1, good color.

Thanks. Thinking I better do something about the rust in the bed before holes appear......

Yeah, the 82 will get her loving care after the 2000 gets her new motor.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:46 AM
coldsteel187
Freshman User
Sorry for being so stupid just like all other forums you have them know it all technical gurus that try and point out WHERE YOU SCREWED UP should have not took my time to take pics,resize photos and post them to be put under a microscope.You would make a good wife.......Coldsteel
Originally Posted by Greyf100
the "notch" on the bottom of the frame where he didn't go all the way down will also act as a shear point...

Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Can't really blame them for pointing out something that could be a safety hazard. I'm no welder so I can't comment one way or the other, but anything you can do to add a little extra insurance is always a good thing.

Just my two cents.

Yesterday I rotated two of my tires, to get a bald one off the front. To my immense surprise, when I headed to work afterwards, I let go of the wheel and my truck drove straight as an arrow....with that bald tire, I had to constantly hold the wheel to the left a bit to keep it straight.

Even at like 50 or 60 it drives straight. Awesome

Old 11-08-2010, 02:50 PM
JohnSChisum
Junior User
Put a new cab corner on the drivers side.

Took off the door kick plate and found no floor.

Rebuilt with scrap cut from the truck.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Greyf100
Elder User
Originally Posted by coldsteel187
Sorry for being so stupid just like all other forums you have them know it all technical gurus that try and point out WHERE YOU SCREWED UP should have not took my time to take pics,resize photos and post them to be put under a microscope.You would make a good wife.......Coldsteel
i wasnt trying to be an A$$, just posting my opinion. All we are trying to do is KEEP YOU SAFE.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by coldsteel187
Sorry for being so stupid just like all other forums you have them know it all technical gurus that try and point out WHERE YOU SCREWED UP....
This is going to happen out here, just like in any other online forum or even
in real life at the race track or at shop or while diagnosing a failure.

Guys see stuff and talk with each other about it, and some will point out
(potential) problems.

Quite honestly, I value people who have knowledge & experience &
expertise in one or another mechanical design area and take the trouble to
make their observations known when they see something that could be a
problem.

Sometimes, there is a lot to be learned from others' expertise, and FTE as a
whole rocks in that sense.

Believe me, I know what it takes to post pictures out here, and we all
appreciate your including pictures so that we can all see the work you're
doing.

But, don't get so upset and take it so personally when some people don't
stroke your ego but instead point something out that could potentially be a
problem. In the end, they are just opinions, take them for what they're
worth.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:59 PM
dohc_chump
This space for rent...
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
today i worked some more on installing my lift. pulled off the old radius arm bracket and after using the air hammer to buzz out the rivets there was less frame than before. i knew this was here, but was unaware it had gotten this bad.

after reflecting on the can of worms i opened up when i replaced my ball joints i forged on.

with the new bracket bolted in i don't have much to pull apart to weld a patch panel in at a later date. i also finally got around to ordering up some new pivot bushings. i didn't get as much done as i would of liked, but this cold is kicking my butt.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I put $5 (1.9 gal) gas in mine today. I don't drive it very often, so I add about 2 gallons fuel every so often, so it can be started weekly and moved as needed. In the last 3 months, it's only gone 84 miles, according to the trip odometer that I reset when I installed it.
Heck, other than swapping in a couple upgrades (tach/trip odometer and intermittant wipers) I haven't really done much to it in a long time. I did replace the window weatherstripping, but that was due to massive wind noise and rattling windows. Best $40 investment ever...... I bet I could hear the radio now, if it had one. Sadly, I took out the CD player over 5 years ago, and never bothered to put anything back in. Might have to remedy that, now that it's possible to *actually* hear tunes.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:05 AM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installed a trailer wiring setup in my 86. Thought I'd have to wire it from scratch, but then realized the bed (and it's wiring) was an 87+, so I was able to buy an inline plug in setup. Looking at a car hauler tomorrow, and went for the basic 4 flat, same as the trailer has. Would've rather gone with a 7 prong and an adapter, but as with everyone, money is tight.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:31 AM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Inline wire setup....hmm, I wonder if I could get a couple of factory connectors like what connects the truck wiring to the taillight harness, and make my own 80-86 inline connector for trailer lights? That way I wouldn't have to cut on my factory wiring. I really want to have trailer light wiring on my truck, that way I don't have to dodge cops when I take junk to the dump! lol

Today I took a shot at pressure-washing the lower half of my engine and front area of the frame, since it's all coated in gunk and oil due to what I believe to be a front seal leak...I shoulda just kept my money!! It's gonna take some Engine Brite and probably more pressure than that to get that thing clean. The front side of my I-Beams sure are clean though. Back sides however.....

Tomorrow I'm going to swap out the governor box for my intermittent wipers. I bought an intermittent switch and governor from the JY a couple months ago, and everything but high speed worked. I just bought another switch and governor last week and now that switch works perfect, but the governor is shot (delay time is extremely long regardless of switch position). I figure between the two sets I should get properly working wipers...

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?