1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:23 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty_S
Those are the ones I have the Ford motorsport "Ford Racing" 9mm blue wires it says in their description

Problem is though if I buy another set and replace them and it solves my noise in my CB then that is kind of bad that I have to buy new spark plug wires every year from the RFI suppressor going bad to the point my CB can pick it up but wont pick up on my AM/FM stereo.

Thing is with how the truck acted twice on me running rough on me lately I would bet its faulty spark plug wires. I wonder if they get dirty if they can get soaked through and have the suppressor damaged. I have a few spark plug wires up near the dist the front side are coated with a film of oil/grease. Still haven't found where its coming from probably just oil misting out of some where and the fan is blowing it back onto the plug wires.
Oil soaked wires can arc through, start the truck and open the hood at night, if it looks like a light show they are bad.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
I've been thinking a lot about the rust situation on my F150. The floorboards are basically gone, as well as the bottom of the firewall and the upper A-pillars. The cab corners are starting to bubble, so I can consider them out as well. If it were just the cab corners and the floor pans, I wouldn't think twice about just replacing them. However, because of the rust in the firewall and the A-pillars, I'm thinking that it will probably be easier and cheaper to just replace the cab.

Luckily for me the doors are mint, as are the fenders and the bedsides. The front bed panel is a different story, but that's easily replaced. Might start looking for a clean cab soon and then maybe send it off to paint because I know it will kill me not seeing the whole truck in that beautiful Dark Chamois Metallic/Light Sand combo. Maybe having a clean and solid cab will help get me motivated to make some major progress on this old girl.

Sounds like a plan, Shaun. Good to see you are posting again.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Oil soaked wires can arc through, start the truck and open the hood at night, if it looks like a light show they are bad.
Well they aren't soaked they just have a dirty film coating on the front edge. Not wet though.

In any case I fixed the popping noise. Guy on the CB forum said that he never seen me mention that I had ANL/NB switched on and that some people forget about it. I didn't mention it on there or on here because I flipped it on before I installed the radio then I switched it off to see how much it was blocking then I switched it back on.

Well needless to say I guess I never did switch it back on cause I checked today during lunch and I was on CB setting not ANL/NB. Flipped the switch up to turn ANL/NB on and the ignition popping noise is gone. The alternator whine I had already limited quite a bit went away even more now this faint old timey radio tuning sound I get out of my dash speaker I think can be eliminated all the way with the use of a radio capacitor at my auxiliary fuse box under the hood.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:30 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Sounds like a plan, Shaun. Good to see you are posting again.
Ad blocking programs have made this site a little more enjoyable to browse, so I hope to stop by more often now.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:38 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Become a supporter.

All that crap goes away.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Become a supporter.

All that crap goes away.
I'll have to consider it.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:53 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Got my replacement door check spring and got it installed this weekend. Was a pita to do, had to loosen up the driverside fender at the hood hinge area to pull the fender out enough to get the spring to spin into the hinge holes.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Today was a good truck day - it's taken a while, but I finally finished my door reconditioning project. New weatherstripping, new seals, new door panels, added some sound deadener, cleaned/lubed/tightened the window hardware. As a result the truck not only looks better, it sounds better too.

Next step is to get the seat reupholstered and replace the rubber floor mat, and the interior will be where I want it to be.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Well done, Matthew! Looks good.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:18 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,792 Posts
Yes that does look good what paint did you use and the code as it looks like what I need for mine when I get to it.
Dave ----

Old 04-01-2017, 09:21 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Looking good on the doors. What did you use for sound deadening and where did you install it? I've been debating peel and seal vs the more costly application specific products.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:29 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,792 Posts
Originally Posted by cadunkle
Looking good on the doors. What did you use for sound deadening and where did you install it? I've been debating peel and seal vs the more costly application specific products.
That is a good question also.
I have been thinking of sticking a sheet on the inside of the outer door skin to keep the "drum" sound down.
They say you do not need to do the full skin panel just a sheet in the center is all.
Dave ----

Old 04-01-2017, 09:35 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Indeed, I was thinking a maybe 12"x12" or thereabouts sections of sound deadener directly behind the speaker to enhance sound quality and reduce the drum sound when shutting the door.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:06 AM
rory71
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pulled carpet/pad from my cab to find cracks by the seat mount. Cleaned it all up and welded it back up. Trying to fit buckets back in this truck. Previous owner took out factory buckets and hacked in a bench seat that was beyond nasty when I got it. Also pulled rear driveshaft, popped out bad ujoints & pulled bad carrier bearing.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Yes that does look good what paint did you use and the code as it looks like what I need for mine when I get to it.
No paint - these are the pre-painted panels from NPD. The color is a little more maroon than I would have preferred (you can see how my original armrest pad is more red), but it is good enough for my purposes. The goal here was a non-disintegrating interior, not a Pebble Beach restoration.

Originally Posted by cadunkle
I'm using something called 'GTMAT Automotive Sound Dampener', available on Amazon. From my research it appears to be substantially the same thing as Dynamat, at a better price. I know a lot of people like Peel & Seal, but the opinions I've read on that are mixed enough that I decided not to try it.

The GTMAT I bought comes as multiple 12"x36" sheets. For each door I took a sheet, cut it into two 18" lengths, and applied those to the inside of the outer door skin. It's not complete coverage...I'd guess about 2/3 coverage at most. Thanks to the crackhead-induced smoking crater that I-85 has become I haven't taken it out on the highway yet, but on surface streets my truck is definitely quieter. Given that I also changed the panels and the weatherstripping I can't say that it is all due to the GTMAT, but for $15 (half of my $30 order) I'm happy.

For anyone who is interested, I have a dedicated thread that I will be updating later today with more detail, plus opinions on the products that I used: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ks-advice.html

Last edited by Dorsai; 04-02-2017 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Speeling & grammer

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?