1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:58 AM
MikeD70
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pulled the dash off ,sanded and hit it with paint ,looks like im gonna have to find a new harness and rewire the truck ,ill send pics

Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 AM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I am going to attempt it in my 75 degree driveway this saturday morning! Lol, I am glad I am not in that situation again. Thanks for having the axle I needed last year. Can you believe thats been over a year ago?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Bump187
Senior User
I got (what should be) the last of my lights installed on my 84 F250 flatbed last night. REALLY lights up the night!

Light count:
-25 running/clearance lights
-6 stop/tail lights
-4 fwd facing flood lights
-2 rear facing flood lights
-2 head lights

Took it out last night to aim the spot lights and they picked out 3 deer in the field at about 150 yards. I guess they are doing what I designed them for! haha

Old 09-20-2012, 11:40 AM
4x484150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump187, that truck looks wicked good. Reminds me of big rigs with a ton of lights.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:44 AM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
bump187, it looks festive. It will be nice around Christmas time to match all the Christmas lights....

Old 09-20-2012, 09:40 PM
truckertrav
Elder User
Had an interesting day with my 85 today.

Went to the parts store and picked up a modulator valve for the C6.
On the way home, I mashed on it and when it hit 3rd(about65mph) Smoke rolled out the back and I lost a LOT of power.

First thought; Sucked up a valve.

When I pulled over, still smoking, I checked for oil in the water,water in the oil,etc.

When I pulled the dipstick on the tranny, about 1 qt low.

When I took the vac line off the modulator valve, ATF ran out.
Luckily, I had a few tools and some ATF behind the seat.

Changed the modulator valve on the side of the road, filled up tranny.

Smoked for quite a few miles but made it home.

Now is time for new plugs....Trav..

Old 09-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by truckertrav
Had an interesting day with my 85 today.

Went to the parts store and picked up a modulator valve for the C6.
On the way home, I mashed on it and when it hit 3rd(about65mph) Smoke rolled out the back and I lost a LOT of power.

First thought; Sucked up a valve.

When I pulled over, still smoking, I checked for oil in the water,water in the oil,etc.

When I pulled the dipstick on the tranny, about 1 qt low.

When I took the vac line off the modulator valve, ATF ran out.
Luckily, I had a few tools and some ATF behind the seat.

Changed the modulator valve on the side of the road, filled up tranny.

Smoked for quite a few miles but made it home.

Now is time for new plugs....Trav..
But, think of how clean the upper end of the engine is now! That's just the same as running SeaFoam through it. One quart of ATF should clean out a lot of carbon.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 PM
truckertrav
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
But, think of how clean the upper end of the engine is now! That's just the same as running SeaFoam through it. One quart of ATF should clean out a lot of carbon.
Yes, and lubed up my new exhaust pipe,muffler and tail pipe.

That'll keep rust down for a while....
I was concerned at the time but now I am really happy...Trav...

Old 09-20-2012, 10:43 PM
old409
Senior User
I'm still messing with my carb. I had put a bigger metering rod in the carb (YFA) and it still seems to be running rich. Double checked the float setting and checked the check valve ball and weight.

The auto choke and the butterfly in the air cleaner are opening as the motor warms up.The darn thing still shuts off every so often when you let off the gas to stop or slow down. This seems to happen when I first start driving. After the truck runs a couple miles it is ok. It sometimes starts right back up and other times it has to crank and crank.

I've replaced the fuel pump,filter, all the old rubber gas line pieces I could find and have tried several different carbs ,nothing helps. When it is running, it smells rich but when it shuts off on me it seems like a lack of fuel. Another thing, it won't run worth a hoot on reg. gas. It diesels when shut off and pings when driving on reg. gas. Basic timing is 10 deg. Vacuum is approx. 17-18 at idle.

I've been known to have a senior moment now and then. Is there something I'm missing?

Old 09-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by old409
I'm still messing with my carb. I had put a bigger metering rod in the carb (YFA) and it still seems to be running rich. Double checked the float setting and checked the check valve ball and weight.

The auto choke and the butterfly in the air cleaner are opening as the motor warms up.The darn thing still shuts off every so often when you let off the gas to stop or slow down. This seems to happen when I first start driving. After the truck runs a couple miles it is ok. It sometimes starts right back up and other times it has to crank and crank.

I've replaced the fuel pump,filter, all the old rubber gas line pieces I could find and have tried several different carbs ,nothing helps. When it is running, it smells rich but when it shuts off on me it seems like a lack of fuel. Another thing, it won't run worth a hoot on reg. gas. It diesels when shut off and pings when driving on reg. gas. Basic timing is 10 deg. Vacuum is approx. 17-18 at idle.

I've been known to have a senior moment now and then. Is there something I'm missing?
The run-on and pinging sounds like it is either running hot or has too much timing. Have you replaced the 'stat? And, have you verified that TDC is what is showing on the balancer? I've seen lots of balancers that have slipped due to the rubber letting go.

As for the rich condition, is there a chance that the timing is so advanced or retarded that it is causing a lack of full combustion? Toward that end I'd address the pinging/run-on situation first and then move to the fuel system.

By the way, WCFB's were good carbs! Then the AFB improved on that, as did the AVS. And for trivia, what was Carter's first name? What does the "F" stand for in WCFB and AFB? Ditto the "A" in AFB and AVS?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 AM
old409
Senior User
I replaced the stat and timed it using a vacuum gauge ,thinking the balancer/timing mark might have slipped. I think I'm going to go over everything again this weekend and see if I might have mis-read something or screwed up on something.The frustrating part of this is,,,,I know the problem is mine,something I didn't do or didn't do correctly.

On the AFB, didn't AFB stand for aluminum four barrel. I had a lot of AFB's through the years.I've had faster cars through the years but there was never anything like the dual AFB's sounding like they were going to suck the hood right down through the intake on the 409 I had. The WCFB,,,,I think a 1956 Chevy I had may have had one on it but I never messed with it. From what I've read it looks like the WCFB used the same type metering rods as the YFA.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Will Carter Four Barrel = WCFB
Aluminum Four Barrel = AFB
Air Valve Secondary = AVS

Yes, two AFB's sounded awesome!

Good luck going over everything. It has to be something simple.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Hey, Shaun, read this

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
Just fired off a few emails to salvage yards across the US concerning 1980-1981 4x4 trucks they have in stock. Let's hope at least one of them has the T-Case handle I'm looking for.
I'm not sure what you're looking for, but here is the 1981 in my ex-favorite yard. Somebody already took the boots; I had asked Gary last weekend how to get the things off as they appeared to be screwed in but yet covered by rubber, seems somebody else already figured it out.

Attached Images   
Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I'm not sure what you're looking for, but here is the 1981 in my ex-favorite yard. Somebody already took the boots; I had asked Gary last weekend how to get the things off as they appeared to be screwed in but yet covered by rubber, seems somebody else already figured it out.
Yep! That's the one I need.

I already have the boot, so that's not a big deal at all. As for how they're held on, you have to raise the rubber flaps to access the screws. Just remove the four screws, and the boot should lift right out.

------------------------

As for what I did to my truck today, I bought an NP208F for it. Picked it up for $40 from an 82 F150 that a guy on Craigslist was parting out. He said it worked fine when he last drove the truck, and when I bolted it up to my transmission, it does go into all the gear ranges, and the yokes move accordingly. However, the front yoke feels a bit sloppy, so there may be some chain stretch going on.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
00Boss
Elder User
Not a bad deal there fordzilla

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?