1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Old 09-15-2012, 12:41 AM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Today I bought a complete NP208 T-case shifter. It's from a 1982, and it's a little different from the 80-81 shifter. I'm not really worried about it, it's close enough, as long as I get the right **** since I know for sure that is different.

I also finally bought a passenger side fender marker light to replace the one I broke. It's in great condition, looks brand new, and is a factory Ford original. Now I just need a better one for the driver's side.

For those that saw it, yes, that is an old computer chair base, with a piece of 2x6 bolted to it. Makes a great transmission dolly.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just completed my first major upgrade to my '80 F-150 Custom...it now has a cigarette lighter. Twelve thumping volts at my beck and call - inside the cabin!

Old 09-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Dorsai
I just completed my first major upgrade to my '80 F-150 Custom...it now has a cigarette lighter. Twelve thumping volts at my beck and call - inside the cabin!
Hope ctubutis doesn't see this, he'll tell us how he now has multiple 12v outlets awa a USB charging port. But, that's on the Taurus, not the pickup.

Anyway, congrat's! Good start. What's next?

Old 09-15-2012, 01:08 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Just a couple of weeks ago I wired my wife's lighter to the power lock circuit so it would be on all the time for charging, etc...

Old 09-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Anyway, congrat's! Good start. What's next?
As far as 'upgrades' go, I think that's it...I actually debated whether or not to put the lighter in, since it didn't come from the dealer with one and I want to keep it as close to stock as possible. My frustration at not being able to charge my cell phone finally overwhelmed my nitpickiness.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:12 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dorsai
I dont know if you were aware or not,but,Chris Tubutis wired in a multiple port 12V distribution type outlet complete with a USB outlet in the SHO. He cut it into the dash as well to make it look like it belonged there.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by bruno2
I dont know if you were aware or not,but,Chris Tubutis wired in a multiple port 12V distribution type outlet complete with a USB outlet in the SHO. He cut it into the dash as well to make it look like it belonged there.
Blabber mouth!

Old 09-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Having driven the 74 the round trip to Gary's and back, with the return trip not in the dark but also drizzling, I think it's safe to say that alt swap cured the charging issue.
Gary gave me an alt that works, but has questionable (noisy) bearings in it. I bet between it and the weak alt, I can make a good one.
I can't say what the MPG is on the 74, but the ~80 mile round trip was done on less than 5 gallons of fuel. I had added 5 gallons to the tank, with the gauge reading 1/4. Got back home, and gauge is still reading just a bit higher than it was when I started out earlier today. That would equate to approx 16 MPG, almost unheard of with a 390/C6. Granted, the trip was 90%+ highway. I know these gauges aren't the most accurate in the world, but after nearly 40 years, this one has always been pretty close.
Still, that's more fuel than has be used in a single day by this truck, in at least 4-6 years......

Old 09-16-2012, 02:34 AM
Trashyvixxen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The carburetor got rebuilt, new plugs,cap and rotor. New thermostat tomorrow and hopefully timing advanced a little.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:43 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Do you OK guys have a link to the GTG thread?

I haven't done ANYTHING to my truck (lack of funds)
But I did go to the drivetrain shop and drop off the dimensions of my slip yoke so they could look it up in Spicer.
I have an annoying highway vibration I believe is due to the front U-joint being loose in the ears of the yoke.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Having driven the 74 the round trip to Gary's and back, with the return trip not in the dark but also drizzling, I think it's safe to say that alt swap cured the charging issue.
Gary gave me an alt that works, but has questionable (noisy) bearings in it. I bet between it and the weak alt, I can make a good one.
I can't say what the MPG is on the 74, but the ~80 mile round trip was done on less than 5 gallons of fuel. I had added 5 gallons to the tank, with the gauge reading 1/4. Got back home, and gauge is still reading just a bit higher than it was when I started out earlier today. That would equate to approx 16 MPG, almost unheard of with a 390/C6. Granted, the trip was 90%+ highway. I know these gauges aren't the most accurate in the world, but after nearly 40 years, this one has always been pretty close.
Still, that's more fuel than has be used in a single day by this truck, in at least 4-6 years......
Glad it made the trip so well. Now that you know it can maybe you can do it more often?

Originally Posted by Trashyvixxen
The carburetor got rebuilt, new plugs,cap and rotor. New thermostat tomorrow and hopefully timing advanced a little.
In the rebuild did you rejet? How's it running at altitude?

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Do you OK guys have a link to the GTG thread?
We don't have a GTG thread yet. It was actually a Work To-Gather and we WTG'd until 10:00 PM. From there it was to the shower and straight to bed. Maybe today I can get some of Chris' pics posted in a thread and others can then add their own. And, although the thread will be in the only forum that is OK, we'll post a link here.

But, here's some of what we did:
  • Got a pair of pallets screwed together and Chris' bed loaded on them upside-down. Then it was strapped to the pallet and loaded on the back of Dad's truck, being careful not to damage that bed in the process.
  • Ray got the old bearings off and the new bearings on his rear axle, and the differential flushed out and checked for backlash. When he was cutting the keepers on the axles they went off like gun shots and you should have seen the guys duck.
  • Bruno finished part of his project of building "posts" for the sides on his truck, to which he's going to add side boards.
  • Bruno's son Kris, a new FTE member, got a new project - motorizing a bicycle.
  • Jason got 95% of the welding done on my new exhaust system, with the last bit not done because we couldn't get the exhaust "Y" off due to interference between the tranny and exhaust flange/nut. I'll fix that - as soon as I rest up.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 AM
MikeD70
New User
nothing ,i cant find the right wiring diagrams to wire up my solenoid and voltage regulator and its driving me insaaaaaanee !!

Old 09-16-2012, 09:41 AM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Wow! that sounds like a productive day in OK.

I bolted in the new crossmember I built to replace the one I cut out, and worked on getting the rear sway bar installed. Slowly but surely.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:55 AM
MikeD70
New User
no ,it sux ,i have a nice 80 styleside ,302 runs great when i replaced alternator i messed up wiring ,replace solenoid ,regulator,coil,but cant figure out the pigtail wiring

Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 AM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KingBigJoe
That sounds epic if indeed it did happen. You know the saying... pics or it didn't happen.
This is one exception. It did happen, but I don't have pictures.

I love the low end torque. It'll be even better when I get a Holley on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?